Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ISO: Zurich recommendations

ISO: Zurich recommendations
Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2005, 10:06 AM

I've only been to the airport in Zurich before but in a few weeks, I'll have about 4 or 5 days of time off and am looking for some suggestions on what to see/do and what not to in and around Zurich. Thanks.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 11:37 AM

Anyone been to Zurich? Heard of it?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 12:05 PM

Zürich is a beautiful city. Very expensive.

I've been there several times, but only for 1 day, so I don't have any recommendations what to see. Ask theolein.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 03:06 PM

Isn't that in Sweden?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 03:07 PM

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
Isn't that in Sweden?
Yes, yes it is

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 09:25 PM

I've been to Zurich a few times but never for long stays, usually passing through to get to my friends place in Basel. I have walked around the central area of the city quite a bit - I always have to pay a visit to the Teuscher shop for a box of champagne truffles - the best in the world.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 16, 2005, 11:40 PM

Same here ... been to Zürich at least a dozen times to work with a client down there but always only for the day. Downtown area (pedestrian zone) is nice, albeit quite pretentious (not really "pretentious" in an extremely bad way, just what you'd generally expect from a city that is home to the country's two largest banks). Shopping there is nice but pricey - as it is pretty much anywhere in Switzerland.

Theolein should know a lot more ... where is that bum when you need him?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2005, 02:31 AM

*final bump* and a pm to Theolin sent.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 06:04 AM

I don't know what you're looking for exactly, Randman. I would show you around a bit, but I have a new job and don't have any time, sadly. From the main station, which itself has quite a lot of interesting shops, restaurants and underground walking areas, you could walk up the Bahnhofstrasse past the jewellery and watch shops, banks and stuff to the lake. The lake itself is for me, Zürich's most redeeming feature. It really is beautiful. I do hope you get good weather so that you can take a stroll along its banks. At the end of the Bahnhofstrasse, at the lake, there are some boats which you can take for trips along and across the lake. If you have time (and money, Zürich is EXPENSIVE, be warned), I would recommend a trip in the boat to Rapperswil which is a lake front town, also very old (some 1200 years old), about 25km's away from Zürich. It has a nice old church up on a small hill and some nice lake front cafes.

In any case, also from the main station, you can cross the bridge to the old city "Niederdorf" and take a stroll through it. It has some interesting people, shops, restaurants and buildings etc. A trip up the church tower of the Münster church in the old city gives you a nice view of the town. At the other end of the old city is the Stadelhofen station from which you can hop on a train bakc to the main station or the Bellevue square which also has a nice walk along the lake.

I would also recommend a short train trip up to the top of Zürich's local mountain, the Üetliberg, as there is a spectacular view of the city and lake from there and a tower to get even a better one.

Public transport is pretty good in Zürich and you can get trams and busses everywhere. Ask at the main station (Hauptbahnhof) information about day passes etc. I don't know which hotel you're staying at, and if you're on business (I assume so) but if you're staying at the Intercontinental, there's a tiny but really excellent Pizzeria called Testarossa a few blocks towards the city on Badenerstrasse. (There are hundreds of Italian restaurants in Zürich, as there are a lot of Italians). A lot of people speak English so you shouldn't have much problems there.

At night, the Langstrasse is Zürich red light district and an interesting walk from the Limmatplatz. There's a really good asian restaurant called Lilly's about a block before the tunnel under the railway lines. I don't know what your preferences are for night life, but Zürich has quite a wild nightlife for such a small town. Loads of bars and many clubs, dotted all over the place. The Oliver Twist bar in the old city, the Niederdorf, is where a lot of expats go for drinks, and the Nelson, just off the Bahnhofstrasse is also where a few expats can be found. Movies are usually in English with German and French subtitles and there are many cinemas all over the place, including one at the Bellevue Square mentioned above.

If in doubt or lost, just ask someone, sooner or later you'll chance upon someone who speaks English.

In any case, I hope I helped a bit, and enjoy your stay.
weird wabbit

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2005, 06:31 AM

Danke (or is it merci?).

Forum Links
Forum Rules