Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP..the decision

MBP..the decision
klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 01:45 PM

Hey Everyone,
I am finally ready to upgrade and buy a new mac. Currently i'm running a G4 iBook with 640MBRAM. My decision has come down to these two systems, any advice would be appricated.

1. MacBook Pro 15" - 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 2GB DDR RAM, 120GB HD, 128MB SDRAM + APPLE CARE
$2196 w/ education discount

2. Macbook Pro 15" - 2.33Ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 2GB DDR RAM, 120GB HD, 256MB SDRAM
$2299 w/education discount

My main uses for my mac is full time use as a college student
iPhoto
iTunes
Safari
Final Cut Pro
iDVD
iMovie
Microsoft Office
small amount of gaming

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 01:51 PM

get the 2.33Ghz.
Applecare can be bought at any time.
we don't have time to stop for gas

MrN79
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 02:05 PM

I agree, i'm using the 2.33Ghz...and i don't regret my purchase at all.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 02:05 PM

I was under the impression that Applecare had to be purchased within 90 days of your hardware purchase.
I gotta have more cowbell.

masugu
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer View Post
I was under the impression that Applecare had to be purchased within 90 days of your hardware purchase.
You get 90 days of phone support free.....You get a year of repair svc. So you could wait a year - unless you think you want phone support day 91.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

phazedowt
Nov 13, 2006, 02:42 PM

Whichever one you get, you *should* get applecare. However, you do have up to one year to buy it, so if money now is the issue, you can get the 2.33 and buy applecare in 8 or 9 months.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

Do you get longer warranty time if you get Apple care just before your origional 1 year warranty expires? I was under the impression if you buy Apple care the day you buy your laptop the origional 1 year warranty is counted as part of the Apple care warranty. So is Apple care warranty time added in FULL on top of the origional 1 year warranty or not?

In other words, if you get a 3 year Apple care warranty does it add to the origional 1 year warranty making the total coverage time 4 years? Seems like I read somewhere it is still only 3 years...?

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 03:01 PM

That is correct. Whether you buy the Applecare on Day 1 or Day 364 after recieving the PB (and registering it), Applecare only lasts 3 years after the purchase date.

I usually wait until the 11th month, which allows my bankbook to recover a bit from the $3000 shock to the system.

JMelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 07:15 PM

Using American Express, they'll give you one more year of warranty support for free. When the Power Adaptor went on my PowerBook G4 2 years ago, they told me to go to an Apple store and buy a replacement. They took the charge right off of my bill - very quick and easy!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Using American Express, they'll give you one more year of warranty support for free. When the Power Adaptor went on my PowerBook G4 2 years ago, they told me to go to an Apple store and buy a replacement. They took the charge right off of my bill - very quick and easy!
Gotta love AMEX..

on Applecare - wait until the last month of coverage and get it. It is worth it, because a tech breathing on a MBP can cost $400.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Gotta love AMEX..

on Applecare - wait until the last month of coverage and get it. It is worth it, because a tech breathing on a MBP can cost $400.

Most platinum visa cards and above will also double your warranty for free. PLUS you can buy great extended warranty from them for very little money, not even half of what applecare costs and in many ways better, more flexible coverage and no lemon policy etc. The only thing you don't get is tech support, but that's what these forums are for!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 05:45 PM

Consumer Reports just came out and apparetly said that extended warranties were a rip off, and to avoid them (although they said they might be worth it for Apple, but only because without AppleCare, they only offer 90 days of tech support. Which is funny, because my Dad is a fixture at the Apple Store in Sagemore getting help, while his iPod warranty has been long expired.. they even replaced it once for free outside of the warranty. Love that store!)

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Consumer Reports just came out and apparetly said that extended warranties were a rip off, and to avoid them (although they said they might be worth it for Apple, but only because without AppleCare, they only offer 90 days of tech support. Which is funny, because my Dad is a fixture at the Apple Store in Sagemore getting help, while his iPod warranty has been long expired.. they even replaced it once for free outside of the warranty. Love that store!)

Well, I think the credit card extended warranties are more than worth it. When my ipod had a small glitch with the headphone plug, it was going to cost $250 for Apple to repair it. VISA asked me if I want the money or the repair - I took the money, bought a new ipod and got to keep the old one which I managed to fix with plyers! My pismo's battery died after several years and VISA paid for a new one. In fact, if anything happens to my computer I know that there will be absolutely no hassles in getting it repaired and if it has to go into repair too many times (=3) for the same issue, VISA will REPLACE It for free with a new equivalent one. In short, VISA's deal is in many ways much better than Apple since it has a no lemon policy, and you can tkae your computer anywhere for repair too. Best of all, unlike Apple, VISA will pay for batteries if they die and they will never argue with you about the reason for the malfunction of your computer.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
Well, I think the credit card extended warranties are more than worth it. When my ipod had a small glitch with the headphone plug, it was going to cost $250 for Apple to repair it. VISA asked me if I want the money or the repair - I took the money, bought a new ipod and got to keep the old one which I managed to fix with plyers! My pismo's battery died after several years and VISA paid for a new one. In fact, if anything happens to my computer I know that there will be absolutely no hassles in getting it repaired and if it has to go into repair too many times (=3) for the same issue, VISA will REPLACE It for free with a new equivalent one. In short, VISA's deal is in many ways much better than Apple since it has a no lemon policy, and you can tkae your computer anywhere for repair too. Best of all, unlike Apple, VISA will pay for batteries if they die and they will never argue with you about the reason for the malfunction of your computer.
What kind of VISA card do you have?

mrbigcdx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 08:52 PM

Yeah, pete or anyone else with these Credit card warranties: can you explain how to sign up for it? Or if you have a claim, how do you register it? Is it automatic if you buy your machine with it? Where can I go to buy the "visa" warranty?

bbqhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrbigcdx View Post
Yeah, pete or anyone else with these Credit card warranties: can you explain how to sign up for it? Or if you have a claim, how do you register it? Is it automatic if you buy your machine with it? Where can I go to buy the "visa" warranty?
The warranty is automatic if it is part of your card's member benefits. Check w/ your card company.

trevj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 11:08 PM

I think you also need to have purchased the computer using that Visa card, no? i.e. You can't buy with a Mastercard, the use the Visa warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Hey Everyone,
I am finally ready to upgrade and buy a new mac. Currently i'm running a G4 iBook with 640MBRAM. My decision has come down to these two systems, any advice would be appricated.

1. MacBook Pro 15" - 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 2GB DDR RAM, 120GB HD, 128MB SDRAM + APPLE CARE
$2196 w/ education discount

2. Macbook Pro 15" - 2.33Ghz Intel Core Duo 2, 2GB DDR RAM, 120GB HD, 256MB SDRAM
$2299 w/education discount

My main uses for my mac is full time use as a college student
iPhoto
iTunes
Safari
Final Cut Pro
iDVD
iMovie
Microsoft Office
small amount of gaming
Just to muddy the waters more: equip the MBP 15" with 160 gb hd that is standard in the 17" MBP and you will see that the 15.4" is only $200 less than the 17" MBP. That $200 buys you a fair number of pixels and an extra USB port.
I would pick either the 2.16 15.4" or the 17" myself, and disregard the 2.33 15.4". Of course, you gotta draw the line somewhere, and the (roughly) $2600 for a 17" MBP may be outside your lines. Like everyone has said: just buy Applecare later. Applecare saved my bacon on my dual 2GHz G5 PowerMac when a dead logic board and HD paid for Applecare twice over easily... so I always get it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

ONG
Nov 17, 2006, 02:52 AM

i was just at bestbuy today and the sales guy was trying to sell me their own "performance warranty". it's got that no-lemon-policy also but i'm not sure if it applies to one defect happening 3 times or three different issues and u get a new laptop.

i think i'm going to get the MBP 2.33/256 but the MB is half the price and very tempting.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 09:25 AM

Yes, first check with your VISA issuer to see if you have VISA performance guarantee extended warranty. I have an amazon.com platinum. Not all cards provide that, but most gold and platinum do I think. Second, your item is automatically covered for one extra year without any registration. If you need something done in the second year, you just go online and file the claim or call them. You're suppose to call before you have it repaired, but I've never done that. You send them your receipt and the claim form and they send you the check, usually within a week. They even call you to let you know that the check is in the mail!

If you want to extend the coverage further, you call them and sign up for either another two or three years. The cost is according to the cost of the item. I think I paid around $180 for an extra two years of coverage for my old powerbook (total 4 years). If you don't need Apple tech support, this is really great and I've never had any problem at all. It's also nice not to have to think about getting it until the end of the second year.

ONG
Nov 18, 2006, 01:30 PM

pete, that makes the most sense for me. i dnt need tech support, i'm assumming the tech on bestbuy aren't that much help anyways. will call my VISA insurer. extending it to 3rd or 4th year would be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules