Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A Free Warhammer 40K Army Builder For Mac OS X

A Free Warhammer 40K Army Builder For Mac OS X
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 10:55 PM

Anyone know if one of these exists? I doubt it severely, but I'm hoping that by some small chance there is one.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 31, 2007, 12:13 AM

Rest assured...it EXISTS!

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 12:17 AM

I'd rest, assured, if you showed me a link. But I think I know what you mean by what you said.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 12:56 AM

Well, it does Its not that great, but its not that bad either. I'm really surprised.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 10:43 AM

There is surprisingly little in the way of digital products for either Warhammer or 40K. There have been a couple of PC games, but they weren't all terribly great (most don't work well with XP, for example). An army builder for any platform would be very helpful, particularly for newbies. Considering that Wizards of the Coast (I think it's them) provide a D&D character builder program (also PC), wouldn't it make sense for Games Workshop to do the same? Just about everything I find in searching for 40K tools online are spreadsheets and the like-useful, but not to a real newbie... Such potential, and such a lack of support.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 10:40 PM

Not entirely true. They have an Interactive Army List (IAL) you can buy for $20 I believe, and its a really great program, they just take forever to update it and never get it right. Still such potential and such lack of support.

I can't believe you said they don't have good PC games. Have you played Dawn of War, Mark of Chaos, or Warhammer: Online? Not to mention the 40K online and Dawn of War II in the making. You might know of only the classic ones, and the halfway FireWarrior.

On a side note, the D&D character builder program is pretty great.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2007, 01:30 PM

My son is the 40K fan. I'm the one that has had to try to get Dawn of War running under XP. It has been a real hassle. There are a number of older, "classic" games that just refuse to run under XP.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 02:15 PM

Hmm. Well I've never had a problem. I'm sorry to hear you do though, because it really is a great game.

As for the older games, I could believe that entirely. Dawn of War is the first good game based on Warhammer 40,000.

If you ever get the chance, and if you or your son are in to Warhammer, I'd suggest getting Mark of Chaos. Its pretty awesome, but lacks single player capabilities.
The intro has got to be one of the best parts.

francio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2009, 06:31 AM

Hello!
I have found some old thread regarding running ArmyBuilder on MacOS here which is too old to bump: THREAD

It happens that I am working on a similar in its purposes open source project.
It can be used for any tabletop wargaming system:

http://ace.armycalc.com/

I do not own a Mac and I don't know how to build MacOS packages, but there are sources from Qt Creator available and I am looking for someone with some development experience who might be interested in building it.

I know that ArmyBuilder is the kind of software without replacement and its keeping a lot of tabletop wargamers from switching from 'default OS'. So maybe this will be a good thing to do.

I will be glad to answer any questions and help building it, if someone is interested.

regards

Cold Warrior
Aug 1, 2009, 09:02 AM

francio,
Thanks for linking your new post to this thread. It made it very easy for me to copy your post into it and bump it. Now anyone can post and reply.

Loop1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2010, 01:51 PM

Will some one please give me a Link for warhammer 40K??????????!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Loop1 View Post
Will some one please give me a Link for warhammer 40K??????????!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
To download one of the games? As in "pirating" it? Not a chance. What other 40K link would you be interested in?

tedwed2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Well, it does Its not that great, but its not that bad either. I'm really surprised.
where the hell is it then and what is it called and what is the web address?http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...l/confused.gif

Forum Links
Forum Rules