Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more. (Page 4)
OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm disappointed that the base model is still only 16GB. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the price difference between a 16 and 32GB chip is negligible enough they could make 32 the base and have a leg up on any competition. Especially since it can't be expanded.
Oh yes, that was a stupid move. Software keeps on getting bigger, people add more and more software. (Ditto for 1 GB RAM.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All that said, I'll be getting a 64GB iPhone 6 (4.7") and will probably splurge on a smaller Apple Watch if I can find some things to sell before then.
Kids haul some pretty good cash.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
My mechanical watch cost about that, I have an heirloom which costs significantly more. If you think of watches as a fashion accessory, I don't think the pricing is off.
But my grandfather's watch that he left me before he passed actually works today. Will we be able to say the same for the Apple Watch decades from now?

I'm afraid there won't be quite the sentimental value for these items, because they're meant to last for 2-3 years until you upgrade to the next model. My grandpa wore his watch for over 20 years.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 03:31 PM

But my grandfather's watch that he left me before he passed actually works today. Will we be able to say the same for the Apple Watch decades from now?
No, but the Watch doesn't occupy the same place. There's dry little in technology that retains its value through sentiment or nostalgia through time – game consoles are the only thing I can think of, honestly.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Kids haul some pretty good cash.
And since it comes out early 2015, I'll have two to hock by then.

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:33 PM

That's a very good point: the watches you and I have are meant to last decades.
I'm afraid there won't be quite the sentimental value for these items, because they're meant to last for 2-3 years until you upgrade to the next model. My grandpa wore his watch for over 20 years.
If you consider it as a fashion item, I think you can make due with a shorter life span.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:34 PM

No, but the Watch doesn't occupy the same place. There's dry little in technology that retains its value through sentiment or nostalgia through time – game consoles are the only thing I can think of, honestly.
Exactly. Which makes it harder to drop $350 (minimum) on an accessory that will be outdated within two years, and will have little-to-no value within five, except to stumble across in a nigh stand drawer and say, "Wow, they've come a long way in five years."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:35 PM

The iPhone6 doesnt look as bad as i thought it would. It looks nice/fine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:45 PM

If you consider it as a fashion item, I think you can make due with a shorter life span.
Perhaps, but honestly, I could go to a store downtown and buy one of 100 different watches that are still better to look at than the Apple Watch. It's beautiful for a smart watch, but not necessarily for a watch.

For me personally, it's less a fashion accessory and more a way to keep my phone in my pocket or bag instead of plopping it out on every dinner table or desk while I'm interacting with others.

Also, as a side note — which strikes you guys as the ruder gesture when someone is talking to you?
1. Getting a text and looking at your phone.
2. Getting a text and looking at your watch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The iPhone6 doesnt look as bad as i thought it would. It looks nice/fine.
That's not the word Jony wanted to hear.

I think it looks pretty good. Not worse than I expected, and not better than I expected. So I'd agree...it looks nice/fine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 03:53 PM

I'm not exactly blown away, but I'll be preordering a phone on the 12th. At least my fear of needing to see one to make a choice didn't materialize.

I don't like and/or wear jewelry or accessories. The watch is nothing more than a curiosity to me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 04:07 PM

They killed the iPod Classic. Shit!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 04:09 PM

Not worth anyone's $199.
iP4S'ers might want it, but anyone else will think twice of choosing a higher rate with the subsidized iP6, rather than the new BYOP plans.
Iwatch? It looks like a silver marshmallow. Bland design. Neither round nor geometric.

Sell all your AAPL.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 05:05 PM

Which is why I still have my Virtual Boy still stashed in my closet.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 05:20 PM

I'm disappointed that the base model is still only 16GB. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the price difference between a 16 and 32GB chip is negligible enough they could make 32 the base and have a leg up on any competition. Especially since it can't be expanded.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Oh yes, that was a stupid move. Software keeps on getting bigger, people add more and more software. (Ditto for 1 GB RAM.)

Not to mention photo and video sizes get bigger as the camera gets better every year. BTW, how much video at 240 fps can you store on 16GB?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 05:33 PM

I think I'm skipping the iPhone 6. I don't think it's a bad upgrade, but honestly, the iPhone 5 I already have already does everything I need it to. None of the new features really make a big difference for me. A bigger screen would be nice, a better camera would be nice... the battery life is better, but not that much better... and uh, that's about the end of what I care about. It's hard to rationalize spending $750 on a new phone. I won't get $750 worth of value out of it. I'll wait until next year.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 06:16 PM

My cargo shorts are happy!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 9, 2014, 06:55 PM

Good for them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 06:58 PM

I don't like the back of the iPhone 6 very much. It doesn't look very Apple to me.
16GB is really a joke. I have a 16GB iPad and with 4 or 5 games on it, it's completely full.

I wasn't terribly interested in the watch before the event but I actually kinda want one now. I heard someone say "Wilkie talkie" and for some reason I rather fancy that. I expect to see some other nifty uses by the time they arrive too.
It would be stylish to replace the strap with a case that turns it into a pocket watch but would it be useless like that?

The live stream was the worst I've seen. I just can't begin to fathom how they screwed it up so badly all the way through. Jobs would have murdered several people for that. Perhaps Cook will yet.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 07:18 PM

These might not be as short lived as everyone is assuming.

They are using Bluetooth and NFC, have a screen, a mic, a speaker and a vibrator. The CPU doesn't really have to do all that much. It could stay useful much longer than a handset in theory.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 07:29 PM

It's hard for me to properly express just how boring I found the Apple Watch. I've been thinking about since earlier today and it just feels so uninteresting to me. I was bored about 2 minutes into the reveal. With everything they could have done, it's just... So safe and bland and blah.

I also agree that the back of the iPhone 6 is henious looking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 08:53 PM

The press seems pretty blown away.

Edit: and I mean tech press. Patel and AndyI.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 09:47 PM

Geez, tough crowd. After looking through a bunch of pictures I think the iP6 looks better than the iP5s. And the Watch is IMO the most beautiful of the smart watches we've seen from a physical standpoint. How is this not quintessential Apple?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 12:03 AM

In a typical Apple move, they actual made a WATCH.

Something that just looks and feels nice. The color, material and wristband combinations are beautiful, there's something for everyone's taste.

While it's more than a watch, it's a luxury time piece first and foremost. It's not a geeky gadget, like the other "smart watches" out there. It's something that girls would wanna wear as well.

Despite the calls that this is blah and meh, it'll sell well.

I have never spent more than $150 for a watch in my life, but I could see doing that for the Apple Watch.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 12:13 AM

This dude is a prime example of the all tech-journalist/geek idiots:

As a category, it needs to replace -- needs to completely replace our need for a cellphone.
Apple Watch: Much ado about nothing

I mean, WTF ?

On the one hand, the same people are yelling and screaming why Apple isn't offering BIGGER iPhones (until now), and then, they want something that fits on a wrist ?

Give me a F&$%ing break.

-t

P
Sep 10, 2014, 04:11 AM

On the day of the announcement, my 4 year old iPhone 4 developed a hairline crack in the front glass. It is 3mm long and in the bottom left corner, as far from the display as is possible. Clearly it should now be considered broken and in need of replacement - although it might be the 32GB iPhone 5S that just dropped $150 in price.

(The home button is on the fritz, and iOS8 doesn't support it, so I was going to replace it anyway. I was just waiting for the upgrade to see what it contained.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

davecom
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 04:48 AM

Did anyone else notice that Tim thanked every executive involved in the presentation at the end except Phil? Where's the love for Schiller? Also, is there any news on whether the 6 Plus has a faster A8 and/or 2 GB of RAM?

P
Sep 10, 2014, 05:37 AM

Given that they're pointing out all the other differences between the 6 and 6+, I don't think so.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 06:59 AM

I haven't been posting much lately, but do read here 4 or 5x a day, but I actually had a comment to post this time...about the 16GB base models.

Something we have been doing to justify getting devices with only 16GB (to keep our costs down) is reuse our older phones as simple mp3 players. That frees up all our storage on our newest phone for photos/video taking/few games. Plenty of space for us on a 16GB device. I realize a lot of people sell their old phones to help offset the cost of new ones; or have a need to keep everything with them all the time.

Just pointing out what we do. We keep the old phones updated with the latest iOS, throw all the built in apps into a folder and simply leave the music player by the home button. You could even jailbreak the old phones to delete everything you don't want and get even more space. We each have a 16GB 4 that we use for our music. And we have plenty of space on our primary phones (16GB 5) for a dozen plus games we "must" play, a small playlist of "favorite" songs, several photo albums we like to show off, and still room to take any new photos/videos on the fly (and dump to computer when needed). We simply don't have to keep everything with us.

Yes, our solution doesn't work for everyone. Just another option for people who might want to try to save a few bucks on a new phone that have a desk filling up with older iPhones

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 07:29 AM

I thought the Samsung Gear smart watches sell for ~$300.
The ones sans camera are $200, with the far superior Moto 360 selling for $250. $350 is too much for a smartwatch, but I'm sure the Apple faithful (who were mocking wearables, up until yesterday) will find some way to come up with the cash for one.

A 4.7" iPhone is smart. 5.5"? Not so much. At least we get to hear "it's not a phablet!" while the hipsters run around with one attached to their heads, while still looking down on the Note 3 and 4 users who are doing the same.

Oh, and no OLED displays? Sad. I suppose that's what they get for pissing off the top manufacturer of them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The ones sans camera are $200, with the far superior Moto 360 selling for $250. $350 is too much for a smartwatch, but I'm sure the Apple faithful (who were mocking wearables, up until yesterday) will find some way to come up with the cash for one.
I don't know if it's too much, but after a night's sleep, I am thinking the category of smart watches has been overhyped. Apple has built expectations like I've never seen before, and I am not sure whether the category of smart watches is worth that much attention.
A 4.7" iPhone is smart. 5.5"? Not so much. At least we get to hear "it's not a phablet!" while the hipsters run around with one attached to their heads, while still looking down on the Note 3 and 4 users who are doing the same.
I think it's smart to give consumers the choice what size they want. I don't want a 5+ inch phone, and I reckon also 4.7" will feel a bit big. I would have preferred a choice between 3 sizes, but I'm glad that finally you can get a phone in the size that you want without sacrificing any features or speed (except optical image stabilization).
Oh, and no OLED displays? Sad. I suppose that's what they get for pissing off the top manufacturer of them.
I'm not sure why OLED displays are still a thing, each display technology comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 10, 2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
Yes, our solution doesn't work for everyone. Just another option for people who might want to try to save a few bucks on a new phone that have a desk filling up with older iPhones
So...you're using a $150 phone to do the job of a $50 iPod Touch?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 09:39 AM

The watch is a finely crafted me-too product, filled with gizmos that nobody needs. Share your heartbeat? Send sketches? People will do this once, for novelty's sake, then never again. I've said this elsewhere, Apple used to be the masters of filling a hole that nobody knew existed, with this watch they haven't managed to do that.

The closest we've got right not to a watch that's actually useful is the Moto 360. I much prefer the design, and because google has access to more data than Apple (for better or worse) it has the potential to be a quiet, efficient personal assistant throughout the day in a way Apple's watch isn't/

Research shows that most wearables end up in the drawer, including self monitoring wearables like the UP band. I wonder how many of these watches will share the same fate.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 09:46 AM

So...you're using a $150 phone to do the job of a $50 iPod Touch?
Or, one could say...

I'm reusing a device I already paid for instead of buy something else I don't need?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2014, 09:54 AM

You have two choices:
- An mp3 player
- An mp3 player AND $100

You chose the first.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 10:01 AM

It's funny how the smart phone revolution has caused more and more people to stop wearing watches (and I think to a certain extent, a generation that has never worn a watch). Now Apple is trying to bring watches back. I get that it's way more than a watch but for me, I don't see the value. Kinda like an iPad for me. Really cool but I just don't see that I'd use it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 10:26 AM

The 16/64/128 jump is genius and annoying.

Genius for them, annoying for the consumer. I think 32 is the sweet spot. There is no way I would get a 16GB iPhone. Just no way... but I don't really need 64. Sure, it would be nice, but it's really not important. If they had made 32 the base, I think everyone and their uncle would have been fine with that and not bothered upgrading. But because they didn't, now everyone and their uncle will have to go up to the next size. It's annoying.

Also, the "free" 5c comes with 8GB of storage. That's borderline unusable if you ask me. Take 15 minutes of video at your kids soccer game and you fill it up.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 10:42 AM

I guess they actually think this new technology called "the Clouds" will catch on

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The 16/64/128 jump is genius and annoying.

Genius for them, annoying for the consumer. I think 32 is the sweet spot. There is no way I would get a 16GB iPhone. Just no way... but I don't really need 64. Sure, it would be nice, but it's really not important. If they had made 32 the base, I think everyone and their uncle would have been fine with that and not bothered upgrading. But because they didn't, now everyone and their uncle will have to go up to the next size. It's annoying.

Also, the "free" 5c comes with 8GB of storage. That's borderline unusable if you ask me. Take 15 minutes of video at your kids soccer game and you fill it up.
It depends on your usage, of course. I have a 32GB iPhone and am constantly shuffling things off and on -- primarily because I like having all my music on my phone. That's a personal choice of course, I don't HAVE to have all the music. I'm planning on buying the 128GB 6+.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Which is why I still have my Virtual Boy still stashed in my closet.
I hope your descendants enjoy migraines.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 11:04 AM

How cool would it have been if they had released an iPhone 6 mini which is identical in design to the iPhone6, but the size of an iPhone4/S? (they could have used an original retina display, and a slower processor)

The only criticism i have of the 6/+(as far as aesthetics and design) is the protruding camera lens. It should have been flush with the back panel IMHO.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It should have been flush with the back panel IMHO.
Physics. Either they needed to build a thicker iPhone, or use a lesser camera.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 11:46 AM

Yup. It's too bad it will inelegantly wobble without a case; I would have been fine with a 1mm thicker phone and a slightly longer battery life. But either way, an even better camera than the 5s is a killer feature and there had to be some sort of trade-off to get it.

On the other hand, Apple probably knows that I am likely one of probably 80+% of all users that will put a case on it and make this complaint a moot point.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Physics. Either they needed to build a thicker iPhone, or use a lesser camera.
Yeah, i know the parameters involved. I think they should have made a decision/compromise so that the final product would not have a protruding lens.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 11:50 AM

Am I the only person who was hoping for better battery life on the new iPhone? I feel like they didn't jump enough.

P
Sep 10, 2014, 11:53 AM

Do you have some inside intel on the new watch? Because what I saw was some pretty pictures and a date of "next year". We'll see what the early adopters say. Personally I didn't want a smartwatch before and I don't want one now, but there are people in the world who will try it, and if they say good things about it, I'll take another look.

Having three options instead of two is good. If anything it's sad that there is no new 4"er, but then the improvement from the 5s was tiny, so it's OK for this year.

OLED is not a goal in itself - it is a way to get better battery life and a thinner overall product, so far at the cost of worse color reproduction. If two phones have the same battery life and thickness and one of them is OLED, the other phone is the better choice.

And Sammy would love to sell Apple some OLED displays. Apple just isn't particularly interested.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Having three options instead of two is good. If anything it's sad that there is no new 4"er, but then the improvement from the 5s was tiny, so it's OK for this year.
It's true. Aside from screen size and a slightly better camera, there is very little "new" in the iPhone 6. If you prefer a smaller screen, you give up almost nothing by staying with a 5S.

Apple Pay is alright I guess, but put me in the camp of people who don't find using a credit card a hassle at all. Until my phone can replace my wallet completely, I really don't care that it takes an extra 10-20 second of terrible inconvenience added to each day by pulling out a credit card.

In fact, I found it pretty funny that in the demo video they showed a lady digging through her purse to get her credit card and showed that as an example of why Apple Pay was faster. Wouldn't that same lady have to dig through her purse to find her iPhone? Best case scenario, you're looking at 10 seconds to pay with an iPhone and like 15 seconds to pay with a credit card. OMG!!!!

And any sort of time savings is going to be nullified by the times when you're dinking around with it somewhere that it doesn't work quite right, or the times when you'll have to explain to a cashier what you are doing and why because they have no idea how it works.

I'm not saying it's not a step in a good direction, I'm just saying... meh. For now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2014, 12:33 PM

It's not about time.

It's also about not passing credit card numbers to ANYBODY. Completely private transactions make one of the primary vectors of card abuse — simply reading off the numbers wherever the card is used — impossible.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2014, 12:36 PM

Apple Pay is alright I guess, but put me in the camp of people who don't find using a credit card a hassle at all. Until my phone can replace my wallet completely, I really don't care that it takes an extra 10-20 second of terrible inconvenience added to each day by pulling out a credit card.
I think Apple Pay has the potential of becoming a far, far bigger deal than the Apple Watch: not everybody is interested in any watch, much less a smart watch. But everybody has a debit or credit card, and you need one to live. Given the leaks of millions of credit card information that we have had in the past few years, I welcome any attempt to make it more secure. The store won't know your personal information. They will not be able to use the data for another transaction. That's more thrilling an aspect than the time savings.
In fact, I found it pretty funny that in the demo video they showed a lady digging through her purse to get her credit card and showed that as an example of why Apple Pay was faster. Wouldn't that same lady have to dig through her purse to find her iPhone? Best case scenario, you're looking at 10 seconds to pay with an iPhone and like 15 seconds to pay with a credit card. OMG!!!!
If you multiply the savings of 30 s per customer by the number of customers a store has, the savings could be substantial for the store. I reckon it's even more than 30 s/customer. Even for a customer, this may add up: it's not rare that 5 people are in front of me at the supermarket register, so 5 x 30 s = 2.5 minutes.

OreoCookie
Sep 10, 2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yup. It's too bad it will inelegantly wobble without a case; I would have been fine with a 1mm thicker phone and a slightly longer battery life.
That has always been Apple's MO on all of their products: they design their products with a fixed battery life in mind, and then keep that. The iPad has had a 10-hour battery life across all generations, even though Apple could have converted weight savings into battery life.

With smart phones you only get a game changer in battery life if you double or triple it in my opinion. Increasing it to a day-and-a-half instead of a day still means I have to charge it at night.

Forum Links
Forum Rules