Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Mac Mini Processor Upgrade - T or E??

Mac Mini Processor Upgrade - T or E??
kavinbm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 12:12 AM

Hey guys,

I wanna upgrade the 1.66 GHz Core Duo processor on my mini and was wondering which processor to buy.
On the forums online it says the mac mini can be upgraded to a Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 Merom processor. But isnt that a processor for the laptop?? Does the mini use a mobile processor?

Last time I checked on Intels site, the E series (Conroe) is the desktop processor. And there specs are much better than the T series Meroms.
Can someone confrim that T series is in fact the processor that the Mini runs?

ChillyWilly5280
May 14, 2007, 12:39 AM

While I cannot say for sure which CPU the Mini uses, I believe it uses a notebook processor for power and heat conservation. Is the notebook CPU smaller than the desktop CPU? I do know that the Mini uses a notebook optical disc drive to save space.
( Last edited by ChillyWilly5280; May 14, 2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Woo Hoo, I got my first star!!!)

zombie67
Senior User
May 14, 2007, 09:48 AM

They are different sockets. The E or X series uses socket 775. The T series uses socket M.

You must use a T version, as the Mini has a socket M. Besides, the M version can handle more heat, which is a bonus. FWIW, my iMac (which also uses T series), maxed out at 2500 RAC on SETI@Home. This is with a T7600.

kavinbm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 10:50 AM

So the new Santa Rosa processors that have come out (based on Merom but now have the 800 MHz Front Bus Speed) can be used in the Mini?

Forum Links
Forum Rules