Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 59)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So you feel that partisan bickering actually is the point of video game systems, rather than playing video games?
YES!!!

*pounds desk*

[SIDE NOTE] It is also the point of government.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
More importantly, look at the PEOPLE who are playing/buying the systems. Wii is the first console I have owned since I got my Sega Saturn (which I adored). My uncles, cousins and parents all want to get Wiis because everyone in the family plays the games at family dinners and gatherings. My PARENTS!! They normally don't even play videogames.
Agreed! This is my first console since the Dreamcast. I'm not interested in the XBox, and I can't afford the exclusive, elusive Playstation 3. I don't consider myself a "hardcore gamer", and I've also seen my friend's parents and people who aren't normally into games get very enthusiastically into Wii Sports and other Wii games.

His point seems to be that people are getting so caught up in evangelizing for or against their chosen hardware that they're forgetting about, you know, playing games. I think it's a valid criticism.
It's a valid point, but there's not much substance to the article. He could have said it well with far fewer words. Besides, isn't this what the Wii is all about and what Nintendo (and thus Nintendo fans) have been stressing?-- Games over tech specs.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 10:02 PM

You can say "gameplay over graphics" as much as you want, but let's count the number of Nintendo consoles at this weekend's World Series of Videogames.

I'll wait....

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 10:12 PM

Yeah a lot of casual gamers will be there, right ?

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Yeah a lot of casual gamers will be there, right ?
I'm just saying, if Nintendo has the best gameplay, why don't they represent?

At all?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2006, 10:34 PM

This story has me a little concerned. Apparently, many PS2/1 games look bad (think badly scaled graphics) when played on a PS3. I hadn't noticed this myself, because the only PS2 games that I had played on the PS3 were 480p-compatible and they seem to look fine. But it certainly does seem that some games like Final Fantasy X look considerably worse on the PS3. In fact, I tried that one myself earlier today and it does look bad. Admittedly, PS2 games often don't look great on an HDTV with component cables (you get jaggies similar to those seen on the Wii) but this seems to be even worse.

I really hope Sony can do something about this, since I wanted to use the PS3 in place of a PS2.

PS1/PS2 graphics look like crap on PS3 - Joystiq

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 10:51 PM

Wow, that's horrible. I wonder if the PS3 has a hardware scalar on the video output; I would assume so, since even crappy on-board Intel chipsets do. Is it broken?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:13 PM

MMMm graphics:

YouTube - Dark Sector GP Montage

And... it looks fun too!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
MMMm graphics:

And... it looks fun too!
That's some crazy blade he's got there. Looks like fun. PS3 and 360?

"I start fires!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
PS3 and 360?
Yup as far as I know.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 14, 2006, 12:36 AM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 01:54 AM

"So technically, within the gaming universe the PS3/Blu-ray install base is nearly five times greater."

Know that would happen the second the PS3 shipped.

Would MS consider 9 million Xbox's and 42,000 HD-DVD add ons a good attachment rate?
How many Xbox owners out of 10 does that equal who bought the drive?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 03:40 AM

MMMm graphics:

And... it looks fun too!
RE4 meets Krull!

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 09:16 AM

Wow. Someone remembers Krull.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 09:29 AM

So you feel that partisan bickering actually is the point of video game systems, rather than playing video games?
No, I think that the idea that those of us who enjoy bickering are forgetting about the playing itself is one that is simply made up. What he is saying is that HE feels that people should stop the bickering and enjoy the games. I say that I can bicker and it doesn't detract from the fun at all.

Who is he to say that we aren't seeing the forest for the trees? He's full of crap.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Wow. Someone remembers Krull.
Man, I actually read the book…way back when.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Man, I actually read the book…way back when.
I still HAVE the book.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 09:54 AM

I still HAVE the book.
I have the DVD

Loved that movie as s kid.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 10:01 AM

I once had the movie on 35mm back before DVDs came out.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 10:38 AM

In that case i crown you the uber nerd

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 10:40 AM

I once had the movie on 35mm back before DVDs came out.
i have the original screenplay...

...and the actors locked up in my basement to perform it whenever i want.
blah

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 10:43 AM

I have Jolt21's house in my back garden, he looks after the screenplay and actors for me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 10:47 AM

ajprice's home town is in a snow globe on my mantle.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 12:34 PM

Wasn't Krull another response to Star Wars.... except it bombed?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 01:07 PM

"So technically, within the gaming universe the PS3/Blu-ray install base is nearly five times greater."

Know that would happen the second the PS3 shipped.

Would MS consider 9 million Xbox's and 42,000 HD-DVD add ons a good attachment rate?
How many Xbox owners out of 10 does that equal who bought the drive?
Note that these numbers are US only, and probably only cover about 80% of the US. Furthermore, they're November only. Europe didn't even get the drive until December.

I'm guesstimating that worldwide the numbers may be over 150000 by the end of 2006.

The other argument that some have put forward is that 100% of Xbox 360 HD DVD drives are bought to watch movies. This is not the case with the PS3.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2006, 01:14 PM

In many ways I think that Microsoft's approach is more consumer-friendly, since you have the choice to buy the drive or not, depending on whether you have an interest in high-def movies. But on the other hand, Sony's offering is actually cheaper if you compare feature-to-feature. The 20GB PS3 is $100 cheaper than the Xbox 360 Premium + HD-DVD drive combo (this comparison makes the most sense, since they both have 20GB hard drives and neither have wireless internet). And I must admit that the "forced bundling" strategy that Sony has used does work. I've already ordered a couple of Blu-ray discs. Admittedly, they're ones that qualify for the $10 rebate that comes with the PS3 (which in combination with the Buy.com $20 off deal though Google checkout makes them effectively free). But I imagine that I will continue buying more in the future.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
Note that these numbers are US only, and probably only cover about 80% of the US. Furthermore, they're November only. Europe didn't even get the drive until December.

I'm guesstimating that worldwide the numbers may be over 150000 by the end of 2006.

The other argument that some have put forward is that 100% of Xbox 360 HD DVD drives are bought to watch movies. This is not the case with the PS3.
True enough but remember that the PS3 is also for November sales and it only had 2 weeks.
Also the PS3 came with a Blu-ray movie so pretty much everyone at least tried it.

Also the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in Japan within 2 weeks even though the 360 had a year head start. They really hate the 360 in Japan.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
In many ways I think that Microsoft's approach is more consumer-friendly
Words I never thought I'd hear uttered.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

Also the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in Japan within 2 weeks even though the 360 had a year head start. They really hate the 360 in Japan.
The 360 was a lost cause in Japan before it even launched. Blue Dragon is here, but I doubt it's actually going to make a big dent.

While Japan is a very important market, I think what's becoming clearer these days is that a win in Japan for consumer electronics is not necessary for a win worldwide. Indeed, quite often a win in Japan has little bearing on what succeeds elsewhere in the world. eg. Beta, MiniDisc, etc.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

Japan accounts for about 20% of the video game market.

The problem with losing Japan, is that a lot of Japanese developers like to make games that appeal to their homeland and work on systems that will actually be able to move games.

Choosing to make your game on the 360 guarantees that your game will be a failure in Japan.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 01:44 PM

The 360 was a lost cause in Japan before it even launched. Blue Dragon is here, but I doubt it's actually going to make a big dent.

While Japan is a very important market, I think what's becoming clearer these days is that a win in Japan for consumer electronics is not necessary for a win worldwide. Indeed, quite often a win in Japan has little bearing on what succeeds elsewhere in the world. eg. Beta, MiniDisc, etc.
Ya I think Japans hate for the Xbox 360 is unfounded as it is a great gaming system.

The problem is perception as the Japanese don't care for American technology and I can't blame them for the most part. The first Xbox looked just about as American as designs get and even the 360 (despite having been partly designed by a Japanese design firm) still has American design traits to it.

I don't think MS will ever win them over but they are doing a good job trying.

The MiniDisc was a great technology that was HUGE in Japan since the early 90's but never took off hear for some reason. Can't figure out why as there was nothing better until the iPod came 10 years later.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 02:08 PM

Ya I think Japans hate for the Xbox 360 is unfounded as it is a great gaming system.

The problem is perception as the Japanese don't care for American technology and I can't blame them for the most part. The first Xbox looked just about as American as designs get and even the 360 (despite having been partly designed by a Japanese design firm) still has American design traits to it.

I don't think MS will ever win them over but they are doing a good job trying.

The MiniDisc was a great technology that was HUGE in Japan since the early 90's but never took off hear for some reason. Can't figure out why as there was nothing better until the iPod came 10 years later.
CDs were better. Minidiscs were compressed, so while they offered all the "quality" of an MP3 they offered none of the benefits.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 02:08 PM

Well, personally, I still don't think the Xbox 360 has the appropriate "look". Its curves remind me of the Corvette, and and I hate the look of the Corvette.

Mind you I don't think the look has that much to do with it.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
CDs were better. Minidiscs were compressed, so while they offered all the "quality" of an MP3 they offered none of the benefits.
Exactly.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 02:12 PM

Actually they had many upsides over CD's. Many many, especially the recordable ones which is what everyone was concerned with.

They were also 10 years ahead of MP3 players.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 02:25 PM

Well, personally, I still don't think the Xbox 360 has the appropriate "look". Its curves remind me of the Corvette, and and I hate the look of the Corvette.
The American design traits I see in it are:

1) The large "Power" button. They want to push POWER and simple so they have one big "Power" button on the front that is the main focus of the look. The same button also looks like their logo.

2) The hard drive attachment is like a sports car with the engine sticking out of the hood. Again trying to convey power.

3) The curved look when standing looks like a woman's torso/hip and tries to convey sex and softness so points 1 and 2 don't overwhelm you.

4) The white also softens it up

5) The faceplates lets you take this somewhat attractive machine and make it ugly if that is your thing. Obviously this is for those people who think muscle pants and flame paint jobs on the side of their car looks good.

Compare that to the perception the Wii and PS3 try to convey with their design.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2006, 02:27 PM

CDs better? Come now. When I used Mini-discs I did indeed use CDs as the source for my music (pre-recorded mini-discs were a dumb idea then, just as UMD movies are a dumb idea today). But the Mini-disc was so much better for mobile listening it wasn't even funny. Keep in mind that at the time, making your own mix CDs wasn't an option for most people. I certainly didn't have a CD burner for years after getting my first MD recorder.

MDs were very small and had a memory that made them pretty much shock proof. With MDs, you could record (even on the go), split up and join tracks, as well as label tracks (and the labels would appear on the player's wired remote -- something that MP3 players still haven't caught up with). Once the iPod came along, the writing was on the wall and Sony's subsequent attempts to salvage the format have only been staving off the inevitable, but for a number of years there the Mini-disc was the best option out there.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2006, 02:32 PM

As for the Xbox 360's success in Japan (or lack thereof), I am convinced that it has very little to do with the fact that it is American. After all, so are the iPod and the Mac, both of which are very popular in Japan. It has more to do with the fact that the majority of Xbox games don't really appeal to Japanese players. Keep in mind that most people only buy one game console. If you have to make a choice between a system that lets you play all of the games you love (from Final Fantasy and Metal Gear to niche titles like Gundam games and off-beat RPGs) and one that seems to offer primarily shooters, sports games, and racing games, I think the choice is pretty obvious.

And of course, the original Xbox's atrocious design and lackluster library (from a Japanese perspective) didn't help.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I have Jolt21's house in my back garden, he looks after the screenplay and actors for me.
Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
ajprice's home town is in a snow globe on my mantle.
blah

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 03:43 PM

Ok someone else did the math for me but the HD-DVD drive only sold to 1.24% of 360 owners.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 03:50 PM

I wonder what percentage of potential PS3 owners would have preferred to have Sony leave out the Blu-ray player and get the system for $200 less.

95% or more I would imagine.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 03:52 PM

Actually they had many upsides over CD's. Many many, especially the recordable ones which is what everyone was concerned with.

They were also 10 years ahead of MP3 players.
I owned a minidisc player (granted, it was for recording purposes only) and I never found a reason to ditch my CDs for MDs. And I already had the hardware.

One of the main reasons it never caught on was because no one wanted to repurchase their entire music collection and hardware. I couldn't play an MD in my car, and I wasn't about to invest $1000+ on home MD decks and car md decks just for added convenience. MP3s didn't have this problem because most people got them free for years from Napster, and played them for free on their computer. The hardware gradually made it onto the scene following the popularity of the format.

And they were only out 6 years before mp3 players ('92 and '98, respectively).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 03:54 PM

Ok someone else did the math for me but the HD-DVD drive only sold to 1.24% of 360 owners.
All those people bought it in the first three weeks? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I wonder what percentage of potential PS3 owners would have preferred to have Sony leave out the Blu-ray player and get the system for $200 less.

95% or more I would imagine.
I HIGHLY doubt that. And as mentioned some games are already at 25 gigs.

Blue Dragon for 360 is on 3 DVD's. Yuck.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 04:39 PM

Most of the stores around here seem to sell out of HD-DVD addons pretty fast (though that's obviously just anecdotal evidence). It may be that Microsoft simply didn't expect more people to want it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 04:58 PM

I HIGHLY doubt that. And as mentioned some games are already at 25 gigs.

Blue Dragon for 360 is on 3 DVD's. Yuck.
So getting up twice during a 40 game is a big deal? Do multi-disc games actually bother anybody?

I didn't mean 95% of the current people interested in the PS3, I meant 95% of potential PS3 owners. As in, the 100 million people who currently own a PS2.

Sony makes most of it's money on the 80 million casuals... not the 20 million hardcore gamers.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:08 PM

So getting up twice during a 40 game is a big deal? Do multi-disc games actually bother anybody?
As the games cost the same I rather have it on one blu-ray thanks.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:08 PM

Blu-ray Pros:

Large games will be able to fit on one disc
You can watch hi-def movies if you own an HDTV.

Blu-ray Cons:

System costs 50% more then the competition
Early system shortages can be attributed complications caused by Blu-ray
Because of all of the new technology (including Blu-ray) the system launches 1 year after competition and 9 months after originally announced (spring 2006)
Developers might be weary of investing the resources to develop games for a system that has a small user base.
(For example, Resistance: FOM is the best selling PS3 game in the states and has sold 70,000 copies. Early speculation is that a PS3 game has to sell 500,000 copies to make money. how long will it take for Resistance to sell 500,000 copies? If you were a developer, you would be taking a real long hard look at Resistance's 70,000 sold numbers and asking yourself if you really want to make a PS3 game at this time.)

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 14, 2006, 05:14 PM

Most of the stores around here seem to sell out of HD-DVD addons pretty fast
It is even not available over here yet, I guess. However I found Zelda for the Cube today in 2 stores, unfortunately 5 euros more than the Wii version .

SWG, what's your point with multiple discs? Storage? Swapping? You do not finish a game in one rush do you? You swap in between a blue-ray film also I highly assume. In fact I never got to the second RE4 disc for the Cube...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:15 PM

System costs 50% more then the competition

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:30 PM

$500 PS3 66% more expensive then $300 Xbox 360
$500 PS3 25% more expensive then $400 Xbox 360
$600 PS3 50% more expensive then $400 Xbox 360

For the person who doesn't have an HDTV and has no interest in going online (this covers a lot of people) the cheapest PS3 is 66% more then the cheapest Xbox 360. That's not good.

There is a 50% difference between the ideal 360 and the ideal PS3.

Forum Links
Forum Rules