Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HELP!! Jag + Ti800 + Battery Power = Hard Drive Spin Down?

HELP!! Jag + Ti800 + Battery Power = Hard Drive Spin Down?
k2director
Senior User
Sep 21, 2002, 03:42 AM

I wanted to see if some other people could confirm this problem I'm having with Jag and my Ti800 DVI. At first I thought it might be just my system, but now I'm thinking it may be some sort of Jag bug...

When I'm running on battery power under Jag, my hard drive seems to spin down after about 60-90 seconds of inactivity, DESPITE THE FACT that I have not selected the option to spin the hard drive down in Energy Saver preferences.

But when I'm on AC power, this doesn't happen...The hard drive spins constantly.

This is an incredibly annoying problem, because it results in my system pausing for a couple of seconds while the hard drive comes up to speed (in Word, Final Cut, iTunes, etc.).

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if someone could test this on their Ti G4 (preferably a DVI model). With battery power on, go to Itunes and start playing a song. Then pause the song (hit Space) and wait about 90 seconds. Then hit Space again to unpause the song, and see if there's not a 2 second or so delay before play resumes (ie, the HD spins up).

Then try this on AC power, and see if there's a delay or not when resuming play. I bet there won't be.

I've reset PRAM, the energy 'processor' (that little button under the keyboard), and even set the hard drive to never sleep under battery power via Terminal, but nothing works...

Thanks for any help or advice!

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2002, 03:33 AM

C'mon, can no one confirm whether this issue is happening or not on their G4 PB? (ie, with Jag running on battery power, the harddrive spinning down after 30 seconds of no activity, despite whatever energy saver settings you have)??

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2002, 04:49 PM

Greetings. I just want you to know that I have the exact same problem you described in your post. My hard drive spins down when I am on battery power, regardless of my energy saver selections.

I'm hoping for suggestions myself.

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Sep 24, 2002, 09:23 PM

Yea, people are beginning to notice, but the bad news is, there's no solution.

I called Apple tech and they reproduced it in their lab. I also emailed the Jaguar product manager, so hopefully this won't go to the bottom of the bug list.

I'm pretty surprised this was overlooked in the beta process...

Forum Links
Forum Rules