Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finally went for the 12"

Finally went for the 12"
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 11:05 AM

After many, many, many hesitations ;-) I finally ordered a PowerBook 12" with an iPod instead of a PowerBook 15" whith a white spot ;-) I hope I won't change my mind before the baby arrives in a few weeks
S k y p a t

benb
Nov 6, 2003, 10:42 PM

Excellent choice!

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 11:09 PM

You made a good choice. I really believe that the 12" PB G4 is the best computer Apple has ever made.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 01:25 AM

I'm posting this from my one-week-old 12," after canceling my 15" order.

In the end, I just preferred the compactness + power of the new 12"s. The 15" is a great machine, but actually felt too large for my tastes, and the RevisionA-itis sealed the deal.

I love the 12" I have now and heartily recommend it.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 01:39 AM

My TiBook was stolen from my desk at school two weeks ago. I got the money from my insurance company and could of purchased any laptop outside of the 17". I really thought I'd go back to the 15" platform, but the power and compactness of the 12" PB finally took me. I haven't regretted the choice one little bit. And with expose', you can really get around and make up for that lost desktop space. I think you'll like it. just remember to throw some RAM in it as soon as possible. I got a stick of good 512 mb PC2700 RAM from Circuit City for only $100.

Good luck.

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
My TiBook was stolen from my desk at school two weeks ago. I got the money from my insurance company and could of purchased any laptop outside of the 17". I really thought I'd go back to the 15" platform, but the power and compactness of the 12" PB finally took me. I haven't regretted the choice one little bit. And with expose', you can really get around and make up for that lost desktop space. I think you'll like it. just remember to throw some RAM in it as soon as possible. I got a stick of good 512 mb PC2700 RAM from Circuit City for only $100.
Throw in a Kensington lock while you're at it.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 05:05 AM

Do you think 512 MB in total would be enough ? Or should I add a 512 MB stick to have 768 total ... I already have a dual G4 tower and the powerbook will be a second computer (to surf the web, manage my photos and music). Thanks Can't wait to have it ! Should get it in 3 weeks.
S k y p a t

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 05:58 AM

I only have the original 867mhz 12" with only 384mb of RAM in it and I'm amazed by it's performance. As the new model is quite a bit quicker (and cooler) then I think it's the only way to go. Easily one of the best Macs ever made, and I've used a few

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 07:25 AM

nice sig WOPR. ;)

Skypat, I'm in the same position as you were a week or two ago! I'm finally, after many years, about to switch from the Wonderful World of Wintel and start using a mac - can't wait. :)

After a lot of umm-ing and ah-ing, I've decided to go with the 12" PB rather than replace my current desktop with a G5. (I'd have gone with the 15" if it weren't for the white blobs and the higher cost...)

My only reservation is with regard to the hard drive on the mac - I'll order the 12" with the 80 gig drive, but I note that it's only 4200rpm - is that going to be fast enough to edit video without dropping any frames? Cos it's not on my PC. :(

edit - hey, skypat, I just noticed you're also in Brussels! Where are you buying your mac from?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 07:29 AM

agh! I'm being stalked

asoares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 08:09 AM

Hello you all,

It is my first post on this forum. I am a switcher and after reading around MacNN forums I am shaking of anticipation of putting my hands on the 12'' PB I ordered some (too much) weeks ago and should arrive this week (if I don't get the nth postponement from the dealer...).
I come from the linux (60%)/Wintel (40%) world, and I am documenting myself on several sources for the switching. My racionale is open-source and free software, so I will try to setup the PB combining the best of worlds (mac + open-source). You would be so kind if you gave me some advice on this:

1. survival switcher kit (in your opinion)
2. experiences or opinions on how to setup osx for a linux mindset (of course I do want to use mac GUI...)
3. I read about problems in generic ram extensions. I plan to extend ram to 512mb. Should I buy apple or generic?
4. As I live in europe, do you know some sites selling apple products and delivering in Portugal? (e.g. Macline in Brussels only delivers in Belgium or Luxembourg)

Thanks in advance.
I am enthusiastic of becoming part of the club.
Regards,
[12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz 768MB/40GB/Combo/APX]
if you can look, see
if you can see, observe (jos� saramago)

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by mintcake:
I note that it's only 4200rpm - is that going to be fast enough to edit video without dropping any frames? Cos it's not on my PC.
It should work without dropping frames. At least I have been doing it all this time without a hiccup in Final Cut Pro on a Ti867, and FCP can be set to let you know when FCP has dropped a frame(s).
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 09:29 AM

Hi mintcake I ordered it from the Apple Store since I changed the original configuration (I chose a 80 HD drive instead of the original 80). But I'm going to buy the RAM at Macline I think. Still hesitating between 256 or 512 MB. I think 256 (512 total) would be plenty though.

Where are u from ? (Frenchspeaking ? Dutchspeaking?)

Welcome Asoares ! About websites, you can try :
http://www.macline.be
http://www.cami.be
http://www.plusware.be

I don't know if they deliver outside Belgium.

S k y p a t

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 10:17 AM

asoares, first, welcome ! I hope your experiences get other ppl. to switch as well.
now, about your questions:

Originally posted by asoares:

1. survival switcher kit (in your opinion)
depends on what you do for a living, Office maybe ? PhotoShop ? coming from Linux though, you probably use open-source apps. If so, look at 2.

for the mac stuff: use VersionTracker or MacUpdate for all your basic software needs (Utilities, etc. Here you can find many UNIX apps. that have been ported and added a Mac GUI)
and a personal fav. for multi-service IM (ICQ, MSN/AIM, etc), use Proteus
for multi-network file sharing (KaZaA, OpenNap, Gnutella, etc), there's Poisoned and the Mac OS X client for BitTorrent.
for viewing almost any media file (DivX specially) there's MPlayer OS X 2 (port from the Linux app. with a Mac GUI, my personal choice) and VLC, where one fails, the other picks up, btw. VLC is pretty good for DVD's since it bypasses encryption by itself, allowing you to view the DVD without changing zones.
You might also want to check the OmniGroup's apps. they have some very useful productivity apps. and some good. utilities (specially DiskSweeper).
Although you can burn CD's from the Finder, I recommend getting additional software. Roxio's Toast Titanium 6 is the best out there, but it goes with a price tag. Disc Blaze 2 is a cheaper alternative, good for data. For audio I highly recommend iTunes' built-in burning capabilities (comes with Mac OS X, supports CD-DA, MP3 CD and Data CD formats for burning you music)

2. experiences or opinions on how to setup osx for a linux mindset (of course I do want to use mac GUI...)
you should install Apple's implementation of X11 (comes in Panther CD #3), then you should install Fink (a nice package manager for Open Source Linux apps. that have been ported to Mac OS X ... very useful)

3. I read about problems in generic ram extensions. I plan to extend ram to 512mb. Should I buy apple or generic?
don't buy Apple RAM, it's generally cheap RAM at premium prices. Crucial RAM is a good choice IMHO, anyone else care to recommend ?
( Last edited by Sarc; Nov 10, 2003 at 10:51 AM. )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:
Hi mintcake ;) I ordered it from the Apple Store since I changed the original configuration (I chose a 80 HD drive instead of the original 80). But I'm going to buy the RAM at Macline I think. Still hesitating between 256 or 512 MB. I think 256 (512 total) would be plenty though.

Where are u from ? (Frenchspeaking ? Dutchspeaking?)
Cheers Skypat - I live in a nederlandstalig gemeente, work in a commune bilingue (dit francophone), but I'm neither (well, both). In fact I'm half British, half German... :)

Looks like you did exactly what I plan to do. How long did it take the Apple Store to process your order for the 12" with the 80 HD?

Seeing as I've got your attention, can I ask you for tips on where to buy networking hardware in Belgium? I'm looking for a wireless router/hub/ADSL modem (such as the Netgear DG834G, a lot cheaper than an Airport basestation...).

And Sarc, thanks a lot for that list, very useful for me too!

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 12:00 PM

I'm looking for a wireless router/hub/ADSL modem (such as the Netgear DG834G, a lot cheaper than an Airport basestation...).
can't speak for that particular model, but I own the MR814 (the 802.11b version of that same router) and so far it's been flawless.
range is OK, and over time, firmware updates added additional features making it a better investment.
in a couple of months I had to restart the router only twice (both times it was my ISP that went insane and the router went nuts with it too). Feature-rich, reliable, installation was a breeze.

And Sarc, thanks a lot for that list, very useful for me too!
np
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

asoares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 03:37 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are some more details:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sarc:
[B]asoares, first, welcome ! I hope your experiences get other ppl. to switch as well.
now, about your questions:

depends on what you do for a living, Office maybe ? PhotoShop ? coming from Linux though, you probably use open-source apps. If so, look at 2.

I have two personalities ;-)

1. teacher
I will use the PB in presenting slides at the class room, in demonstrating php+mysql+postgresql, word+spreadsheet processing, mail+web surfing, IM (jabber), sony clie syncing, etc.

2. (serious) amateur photographer
I will dump oly4040 digital sm cards and do some photo processing. I will not buy photoshop (expensive...) but intend to use gimp (I have an XP desktop box where I use to do more intensive photo processing and organizing - who knows in a future I will switch from this too...)

thanks again for your suggestions, I will explore them soon.
[12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz 768MB/40GB/Combo/APX]
if you can look, see
if you can see, observe (jos� saramago)

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 03:47 PM

Cheers Skypat - I live in a nederlandstalig gemeente, work in a commune bilingue (dit francophone), but I'm neither (well, both). In fact I'm half British, half German...

Cool I'm Frenchspeaking actually.

Looks like you did exactly what I plan to do. How long did it take the Apple Store to process your order for the 12" with the 80 HD?

Well, I ordered it last Thursday, paied it last Saturday morning. They said I should receive it in 3 weeks (payement + build + shipping). How long did it take for you ?

Seeing as I've got your attention, can I ask you for tips on where to buy networking hardware in Belgium? I'm looking for a wireless router/hub/ADSL modem (such as the Netgear DG834G, a lot cheaper than an Airport basestation...).

No idea. Have you checked at a Belgacom store ? They sell routers etc. You should check their website.

There is a small PC vendor in Brussels when I have already bought some good and cheap RAM. Maybe you can check : http://www.gminformatique.com

I chose to go with airport I read it was so easy to configure

What is exactly the mac you have ?
S k y p a t

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 04:25 PM

glad you picked the 12"... its a good choice...

For me, 512ram total is more than enough.

For wireless routers, I'd say checkout linksys stuff. About the same price as the Netgear stuff with better range.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 06:24 AM

What is exactly the mac you have ?
I don't have one at all! Yet... (unless you count an iPod).

I phoned the Apple Store in Belgium this morning (working although it's a holiday - both me and them!) and they quoted me 11 days on a 12" 1ghz Superdrive with 80 gig HD.

I'm just waiting to decide whether to go with the 12" or a 15". 12" seems very small to me.

I've seen a refurb 15" TiBook with virtually the same spec as a new 12" AlBook coming in at virtually identical prices. Which would people recommend?

(edit - by the way Skypat, Crucial will do a better deal on memory than macline.be )

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 06:33 AM

I think you should try and have a look at a 12" before making a decision. I love mine as you know, but I admit it was a shock when I got it out of the box - it's that tiny. As for the Ti - it's a tricky decision to make. I'd certainly avoid the new 15" until Rev. B arrives, and I really don't know what I'd choose between 12" and Ti - before using the 12" I'd have said Ti every time but now...

dividend
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 09:20 AM

I have a question. I am very close to buying a 12'' powerbook. My question is this:

on the 12'' powerbook screen is 1024 * 768 pixels.

on the 14'' iBook, the screen is also 1024 * 768 (just like the 12'' iBook).

Does this mean that you can fit in as many windows &c on the 12'' as on the 14'', except that the windows will be smaller?

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 09:52 AM

er.... yeah!

NemesisEG
Nov 11, 2003, 11:01 AM

agh! I'm being stalked

We're onto you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 11:08 AM

Gah! What next? BGiE?

dividend
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 11:14 AM

guess i expressed myself pretty stupidly at least you got a laugh!

Ok, trying to rephrase it again then:

What is the difference between a 14'' 1024 * 768 screen and a 12'' 1024 * 768 screen?

As I have understood it, a 12'' 800 x 600 screen makes all windows, text etc larger than on a 1024 x 768 screen. This should mean that you will actually be able to place more stuff on the screen than were it only 800 x 600 (as the old iBooks).

Over to the difference between 14 and 12 with the same resolution. Does this mean that things on the larger screen will only be bigger, but you cannot place more stuff on the screen.

Ok, stupid perhaps. but i have a problem with understanding what the resolution really means.

I noticed that the higher resolution on newer powerbook 15 meant that more stuff was placed on the screen but looked smaller. Sorry, hope you can help me anyway.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 11:19 AM

Heh, not stupid mate, it's a fair enough question - I'm not sitting here looking at the same screen on a 12" and a 15" monitor so I'm basically guessing, but 1024*768 is the same number of pixels regardless of screen size - just, on a 12", the pixels are going to be proportionally smaller. So everything just shrinks.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 11:22 AM

Yup - the 14" has a screen that is just physically bigger - it's easier on the eyes as the pixels are bigger. I prefer the 12" myself. Especially thin and crispy.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 12:42 PM

by the way Skypat, Crucial will do a better deal on memory than macline.be )
Yes I know. �50 instead of 70 for 256 MB and �100 instead of 156 for the 512MB stick. that's interesting. But what if the memory does not work well. I have read the 12" with Panther is somewhat picky about RAM ... I don't know i this is true but if so, I need a flexible way to send back the memory. Is Crucial as flexible in Europe as they are in the USA ?

By the way, I played a whole lunch time with a friend's powerbook 12 (867 Mhz) and I found it perfect. Very cool computer ! The text in Word appeared very small though. But one can change the resolution of the text (100%, 125%, 150%, etc.). The Powerbook is really gorgeous i wanted a computer that I could use on a couch or anywhere on vacations for example. The 12" is the way to go I think
S k y p a t

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 01:29 PM

Heh, yeah, my wife also says the 12" is the way to go (no double entendre intended honest) and I think for the reasons you said that I'm going to go with that. I'm heading up to Cami on ch de Charleroi tomorrow to see one in action next to a 15" before I make up my mind once and for all, though.

I've no direct experience with Crucial myself but I've only heard good things, both as regards the service and as regards the quality of their memory. WOPR, over to you. :)

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 01:43 PM

I must have used crucial.com/uk about 10 times now - not a single problem. You won't regret the 12" mintcake - it's tops.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 01:53 PM

I'm heading up to Cami on ch de Charleroi tomorrow to see one in action next to a 15" before I make up my mind
Good idea but you should call them before you go. 2 weeks ago they just had a 15", 17" and some G3 iBooks in their showroom. They said "no 12" before end of November". Same thing at Cami Li�ge. You could check at a Vandenborre store near you. I know they have a 12" Powerbook at Wavres for instance. Good luck I'm glad I have a friend who owns one 12"

Thanks for your advice WOPR and have you ever returned some RAM ? Will they refund you easily ?
S k y p a t

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 02:00 PM

Ooh good call, Skypat, might save me a wasted journey! Didn't realise that Vandenborre have them. I went to Exell on Monday to take a look and was shocked to discover they're no longer stocking them!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 02:31 PM

Good idea but you should call them before you go. 2 weeks ago they just had a 15", 17" and some G3 iBooks in their showroom. They said "no 12" before end of November". Same thing at Cami Li�ge. You could check at a Vandenborre store near you. I know they have a 12" Powerbook at Wavres for instance. Good luck I'm glad I have a friend who owns one 12"

Thanks for your advice WOPR and have you ever returned some RAM ? Will they refund you easily ?
I did once return RAM without problems, though I can't remember why I had to return it.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 03:01 PM

Ooh good call, Skypat, might save me a wasted journey! Didn't realise that Vandenborre have them. I went to Exell on Monday to take a look and was shocked to discover they're no longer stocking them!
Yeah Excel are loosers I know they have or had macs downtown Brussels but it is overpriced anyway. I know Vandeborre Drogenbos also carries macs. Just call them Maybe you could see a Powerbook 12" at Macline (even if they don't have a showroom) ?

Thanks for the info WOPR
S k y p a t

dividend
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 03:35 PM

thank you for your replies, couldn't really figure it out properly. temporary insanity

in other words, no real good point in buying 14'' iBook over pb 12'' except that you save a little and get a slightly better graphics-card - unless your eyes say differently. The 14'' iBook has the exact same screen as the previous powerbook G3's 14'' - right?

has anyone here played games with pb 12'' 1 ghz? I am keen to know how playing ghost recon and warcraft III is.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 03:41 PM

I have an 867mhz 12" and Max Payne and Sim City 4 run fine so the 1ghz must be even better.

St.John
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 12:19 PM

I phoned the Apple Store in Belgium this morning (working although it's a holiday - both me and them!) and they quoted me 11 days on a 12" 1ghz Superdrive with 80 gig HD.
11 days. Ha ha ha. They told me something similar. This was on the 16th October. It still has not come.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by St.John:
11 days. Ha ha ha. They told me something similar. This was on the 16th October. It still has not come.
Hmm. I just phoned again, this time they quoted me 3 to 5 days for the same configuration... :|

St.John, did you order through the Apple Store in Belgium?

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:

Good luck.

jg
Ummmm, am I missing something? How did you get pc2700 ram to work in a 12" powerbook?

St.John
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 06:40 AM

Hmm. I just phoned again, this time they quoted me 3 to 5 days for the same configuration... :|

St.John, did you order through the Apple Store in Belgium?
I went through the Apple Store UK, which sources it's hardware in the same way as the one in Belgium, I'd assume; the Powerbooks come from Taiwan, and peripherals seem to come from Holland.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 10:54 AM

From my understanding, the main difference is one is 266mhz and the PC2700 is 333mhz. I guess the PC2700 is backwards compatible, like PC133 is backward compatible with PC100. I was told this by a guy working at Circuit City. I can confirm that my System Profiler says I have 768mb of RAM.

"512mb of PC2700U-25330."

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2003, 02:46 PM

My first message appeared 3 weeks ago (November 6th) and I just saw on the TNT tracking system that my Powerbook/iPod will be delivered tomorrow or Tuesday. I can't wait

Question : how do I transfer all my music from iTunes on my tower to iTunes on my Powerbook (I want to keep the exact same order...). Thanks
S k y p a t

Forum Links
Forum Rules