Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How can I tell if my internal hard disk has spun down?

How can I tell if my internal hard disk has spun down?
k2director
Senior User
Sep 15, 2002, 06:21 PM

I'm having a weird problem where MS Word will "stutter" (ie, not respond to keystrokes for a few seconds, or cut and paste actions), but it only happens when I'm running my Ti800 on battery power. Under AC power, I have no problems.

It's like the hard drive is taking a moment to spin up, butI don't notice these short delays in other apps, and I've also unchecked "put the hard drive to sleep" in Jag's energy saver prefs, so it makes me wonder if it's the hard drive spinning down and then spinning up again, or something else (I've also tried trashing Word's prefs to no effect).

Is there some utility that will let me monitor what my hard drive is doing?

I've also wondered if my Energy Saver prefs are somehow screwed up, but don't know if it's possible to trash them.

Any thoughts much appreciated...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2002, 06:32 PM

There really isn't a utility that I know of that monitors hard disk activity other than the Control Strip of Mac OS 9. Listen for hard disk activity near the left of the palmrest on your TiBook.

Word shouldn't be stuttering. OS X has much better multitasking, and it would not stutter if the hard disk were spun down.

Is the option to reduce processor speed checked? I don't think that is the issue either, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules