Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Cleaner 6 -- Anyone using it?

Cleaner 6 -- Anyone using it?
k2director
Senior User
Nov 15, 2002, 09:51 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading from 5, and am wondering if anyone's run into any nasty bugs, or have any other impressions regarding its performance or value.

Many thanks...

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2002, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by k2director:
I'm thinking of upgrading from 5, and am wondering if anyone's run into any nasty bugs, or have any other impressions regarding its performance or value.

Many thanks...
I am using it for 2 weeks now. It is much faster the previous version. I also got a 1.25 dual G4 with it, so encoding a video which took 6 hours on an G4 667 PowerBook now takes 2 hours!
It crashes sometimes when changing the size of the output without any reason.
But an 6.0.1 version will fix this hopefully.
The video-filters (deinterlace e.t.c) are also improved, they a much more effective.

nexus5.

MikeD
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 02:25 PM

What are you encoding that takes 2 hours? I was trying to reencode a 20 min mpeg4 file from FCP only with deinterlacing, and a little croping into another mp4 file and it was quoting me at about 5 hours!! I have a dual 1.25gigPM too... Any ideas? Is there something I forgot to install... like an altivec plugin!?

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
May 8, 2003, 10:02 AM

i use it daily and generally love it. it definitely works better on my dual 867/1.5GB i have at work, but runs acceptably on my home 733/512GB. i find a consistent error when i try to add an event that opens to a URL, but other than that it works well. i mainly burn .mov (quicktime files), but windows media files work well too. i really do not work in real media files, but i hear they burn pretty well too.

i have noticed that it crashes (or stalls) when i work in my file system while i am compressing things in the background. therefore, when i am compressing media, i tend to stay out of the file system.

memento
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 08:20 AM

It crashes for me sometimes when doing mpeg1 encoding. no biggie - I use ffmpeg for that now. For mpeg4, nothing beats cleaner. I've been doing some tests to compare the various mpeg4 related codecs (Apple's mp4, divx5, divx4, xvid, 3ivx) and found that Cleaner with Apple's mp4 gives the best results and is easiest to use. 2 thumbs up!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
May 30, 2003, 08:32 AM

i use it at work and generally it works well on my dual 867/1.5G; as per a previous user's comments, it run 'acceptable' on my home 733/512MB G4.

i have noticed some quirks though:

1. it often crashes in the middle of burning a 'batch' of files. this is particularly annoying if i leave it running at night (no i do not let my mac sleep or otherwise shut down when i do this) to finish a big job.

2. when i create an event to redirect to a URL, it often does not encode that into the final file. go figure...?

overall, i really like the application, but wish there was more documentation on the .mp4 format. i have never gotten the 'hyped' results of better quality at lower file sizes. in fact, most of my .mp4 files are as large as regular .mpeg(1) files or larger.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 30, 2003, 09:27 AM

It's wonderful ! I just finished encoding a 23 minute movie in 3hours and a few minutes on my PowerBook 867 (MPEG4 full quality, full video resolution). Resulting in a �325MB file, instead of the original �4,5GB DV-file. for Cleaner 6.

Forum Links
Forum Rules