Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unique Question re: PBook + Cinema Display LCD

Unique Question re: PBook + Cinema Display LCD
k2director
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 09:38 PM

I'm thinking of getting a 20 or 23" Cinema Display for my Powerbook 1Ghz DVI. I know I can use the Pbook with its lid closed, and that people tend to love their CinemaDisplay/Pbook combos. My question for those people is:

When you disconnect your Pbook from the Cinema Display, and use the native Book's LCD, do you find that you have to rearrange your window layouts considerably due to the now lower-resolution display? For instance, if you're CinemaDisplay is at 1920x1200, and then you take your laptop to a cafe and you're suddenly at 1280x854 or 1440x900, are the window layouts all messed up, requiring you to manually set the right again?

I run a lot of apps at once, and they tend to involve lots of windows (Final Cut, DVD Studio Pro, PhotoShop and Logic, etc). And I tend to take my Pbook out each day. So I'm wondering how much of a pain this window-layout issue will be, day in day out.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2003, 11:04 AM

Great question, k2director. Since I'm planning to updgrade to a 12-inch PowerBook, which will hopefully include DVI-out for Cinema Display compatibility, I'm interested in user experiences as well.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Will Brocklebank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2003, 11:27 AM

Hi - I have that combo i.e. a 15" and a Cinema 23". (I also run the 15" open at work with a 1024x768 15" flat screen next door to it.)

Apple seems to have done an excellent job with window management - when you disconnect the 23" it will bump everything into the one screen and move your dock back (I keep mine in the top right corner and so at work it is on screen 2 and then it flips back to the Pbk screen when I disconnect).

There are a couple of occasions when apps that aren't well designed (M$oft) do not adapt to the change properly - in this case use of the green expand button usually sorts it out and if that does not then changing the Pbk screen resolution down and then back up completes the process.

I can heartily recommend the combination - although I ought to mention that my 800Mhz Pbk has to work a fair bit harder to drive the 23" and gets hotter much quicker when doing so (also having the screen closed exacerbates this issue).

Hope this helps. W

Forum Links
Forum Rules