Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > C&C: Generals. Want to play online with me?

C&C: Generals. Want to play online with me?
k2director
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 07:51 PM

I got an advance copy (totally legit, by the way). Anyone else playing it yet?

Having gone through the single player campaign, I'm looking forward to trying net play. PM if you're "game."

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 08:30 PM

[Yells] Screen Shots [/Yells]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 09:02 PM

How's the performance on your computer? Let us know what your setup is too

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 09:15 PM

whens the date for release planned?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 10:50 PM

How did you get it? I ordered mine from Apple a while back. Or are you not allowed to tell us...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2004, 11:02 PM

SCREEN SHOTS!
SCREEN SHOTS!
SCREEN SHOTS!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 6, 2004, 11:28 PM

I'll play a quick game with you...but it has to be started before midnight.

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 12:36 AM

Horsepoo, I emailed you back. 11:30pm would work, Pacific Standard.

Anyway, hmmmm, I thought it would be hitting stores by now. The official date for stores is April 16, I believe, but I often see Aspyr games on shelves before official dates.

I got the game to review for a magazine, so if it's not on shelves, I won't post screen shots, as there's an embargo on a review until the 16th. Not that posting screen shots would constitute a review, but it gets closer. Sorry.

BUt I will say:

I really do like the game. I hadn't played it on the PC, but it looks as good in real time play as the little video trailers on the Aspyr web site indicate. For me, it blows WarCraft 3 away. There don't seem to be as many units to make (which can be overwhelming in WC3), and the play is more focused on all your pieces, and not heroes (I never liked that about WC3). Plus, I just like the semi-realistic military bent.

As for the graphics, they're truly stunning. I'm playing on a 23" Cinema Display at 1600x1000 (I believe it's 1000 or somewhere around there), with all the details on high, and it's phenomenal. Tanks leave little dust clouds as they drive. You can see concussion waves emanate from explosions (if 'concussion' is the right term). Jets trail thin wisps of exhaust smoke as they fly. Green nuclear contamination spreads across the ground. It's beautiful.

As for hardware, besides the Cinema Dispay, I'm running a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 2.5 gigs RAM, ATI 9800 EOM edition. When there's really heavy action on the screen, things can slow down a bit, but only for a couple moments, and it doesn't affect my play. However, there are a couple of very rare special effects, like a Chinese nuke strike, that cause my G5 to crawl--ie, fps drops way down while the effect is on screen. That's been fine with me, because I just sit there in awe of the visual for a moment, but thought it was interesting that the G5 would chug.

My one disappointment so far: I have dual Cinema Displays, and have to put them in mirror mode to play the game properly. Otherwise, my cursor extends off to the other display, and I can't scroll through the game terrain. If you hold Shift down while launching the game, you can choose which display runs the game, but it still doesn't solve the problem.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 7, 2004, 12:48 AM

I hope it`ll run on my PB17 Rev. A-otherwise I�ll have to kill myself.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 11:11 AM

... As for hardware, besides the Cinema Dispay, I'm running a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 2.5 gigs RAM, ATI 9800 EOM edition ...
Thats saying absolutely nothing to 90% of Mac gamers

I have one VERY important question though: is it Mac v. Mac only or Mac v. Mac/PC?
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

FurionStormrage
Apr 7, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Thats saying absolutely nothing to 90% of Mac gamers

I have one VERY important question though: is it Mac v. Mac only or Mac v. Mac/PC?
It's Mac <-> Mac only which is why I bought it for the PC.

As to the mini-review by k2director... I don't know why you're fawning over what this does because that's exactly what the PC version does. If it had any less than the PC version what would be the point of porting it?

Oh, and is this a combination of Generals and Zero Hour, or is it just Generals? If it's a combination, the General's abilities make it a little closer to Warcraft III, IMO, because you can play a style that can give you better superweapons (think heroes) to deal with your enemies.
I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by FurionStormrage:
It's Mac <-> Mac only which is why I bought it for the PC.
That's sad news. I have been playing W3 online for some time now and it is a lot of fun. Mac <-> Mac only will not let me play with my friends that use PCs (everyone who I play W3 with now) ... C&C:G is off my shopping list now.
My Blog & Photos

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 01:06 PM

We just released the C&C Generals demo, so give it a try if you are unsure how it will run on your machine. We set the system requirements very realistically, maybe even conservatively, so I think people will be happy with performance. i5works did a LOT of work on optimizing.

And even if you think Mac to PC play kills the game for you, give the demo a try. Single player and play against Mac friends is still a blast.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 01:09 PM

Thanks Glenda,

To bad it takes so long to download from Macgames.com. Wish there was a better mirror.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
"This is fun, right?"

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
We just released the C&C Generals demo, so give it a try if you are unsure how it will run on your machine. We set the system requirements very realistically, maybe even conservatively, so I think people will be happy with performance. i5works did a LOT of work on optimizing.

And even if you think Mac to PC play kills the game for you, give the demo a try. Single player and play against Mac friends is still a blast.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media
Any chance of a bittorrent for this?

-mrwalker

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 03:53 PM

The demo is awesome! Runs very well, unless there is a huge explosion of some sort, then the FPS takes a sharp dive, like in the giant explosion in the first Chinese mission. I had to manually up the resolution in the .ini file to 1600x1024, still ran fine except with that giant explosion, which doesn't matter because you aren't actually playing during it. Amazing game, beautiful graphics, almost no lag. Well, this was a on Dual 2ghz G5 Radeon 9800 Pro...
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 04:13 PM

I actually tried it out on my 1.25 Ghz Powerbook last night.

800x600 resolution plays very smooth, but the game isn't done justice at that res. So I upped it to 1024x768 and still found it playable. You definitely encounter some slow downs (for instance, when I sent about 15 troops, 4 tanks and 4 missle launchers up into GLA nest of machine guns and missile bunkers), but it didn't really affect the fun factor for me.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 05:00 PM

Still looking for a torrent or other download... it's gonna take literally hours otherwise!

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2004, 05:08 PM

Oh no! Not hours!

Sorry, after living with dialup for most of my life...well...suck it up!
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 05:27 PM

The demo is going to take several hours, so will it run decently on a brand new eMac (1Ghz, 640mb ram)? Im not one of these people who freak out if the fps drops by 0.001 but it would be nice if it were playable at the lowest settings.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 05:50 PM

The 32MB Radeon 7500 in your eMac is quite dated. Good luck

I have a 32MB Geforce 4 in my Powerbook 12". I wonder how well it will run. I always run games at 1024x768, the native resolution of the PB screen because I cannot stand the fuziness of the lower resolutions. I hope it runs ok.

Another vote for a BitTorrent download of the demo.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 06:03 PM

The demo is taking several hours...ouch. Using the extremesim.com mirror I got in 18 minutes, 365kb/s rate the whole time.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

Hiei69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2004, 07:04 PM

On my 12" Powerbook Rev B at 864x640 (whatever it is) with 768 ram, I was able to play it just fine. Graphics were turned down but, it was completely playable. I also used to tinkertool to quit the finder before I played.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:27 PM

Well, the specs are truely the minimum you want to play with. An iMac G4 800 w/ 768ram chokes like crazy on the lowest settings. Guess i'll have to stick to the UT 2004 demo. Woohoo!!!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 08:12 PM

So far its crashed my 1Ghz Superbook 3 times at the beginning of the Training mission. Not a Good sign in my book. I got nothing special going on, no themes, no mods, nothing straight OS X 10.3.3 install. When it is running it is pretty smooth at 1025 x 768. Wish it wouldn't crash.
"This is fun, right?"

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by IonCable:
So far its crashed my 1Ghz Superbook 3 times at the beginning of the Training mission. Not a Good sign in my book. I got nothing special going on, no themes, no mods, nothing straight OS X 10.3.3 install. When it is running it is pretty smooth at 1025 x 768. Wish it wouldn't crash.
Is that a 12" PowerBook you're talking about there? What are the specs?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 08:29 PM

15 inch orginal 1Ghz Powerbook with a Super Drive, 768 Ram, 64MB Video card.
"This is fun, right?"

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 08:31 PM

Orinally posted by someone:
Well, the specs are truely the minimum you want to play with. An iMac G4 800 w/ 768ram chokes like crazy on the lowest settings. Guess i'll have to stick to the UT 2004 demo. Woohoo!!!
On the extreme lowest settings, the game is very playable for me on my iMac G4 700mhz w/256mb.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 09:17 PM

That it, 10 crashes. Fresh reboots, nothing going on except the system. No mods, Themes, no nothing that should make the game crash. To bad I was really looking forward to purchasing and playing this game. But I can't find a single thing that gives me any reason for the crashes.
"This is fun, right?"

derekn
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 09:30 PM

That it, 10 crashes. Fresh reboots, nothing going on except the system. No mods, Themes, no nothing that should make the game crash. To bad I was really looking forward to purchasing and playing this game. But I can't find a single thing that gives me any reason for the crashes.
Yeah, same here. 1.2Ghz SP MDD, 768MB of RAM and a stock Radeon 9000,running a couple of haxies, Fruitmenu and Shapeshifter. I've thrown the settings down and it still crashes after about 10 minutes, seems to be when a lot of action is going on or if I scroll around too much. *sigh* I've wanted this for so long, so even if it does crash, I'm still buying it. From what I've played of it, it seems VERY good, worth the $50.

Glenda, everyone at Aspyr, thanks for putting a demo out, all I've seen are movies, it was great to finally play the game.

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 09:38 PM

Aspyr,

I'll gladly send you the crash reports, just let me know where.
"This is fun, right?"

k2director  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 09:42 PM

I also had a few crashes on my G5 in the early missions of the USA campaign, including training. My first thought was "uh oh".

But since those first couple of missions, it's been smooth sailing--ie, many hours played in the GLA and Chinese campaigns, as well as "skirmishes' against computer opponents on multiplayer maps.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 09:57 PM

Sooo, i've only tried the traning board. Are you telling me that the other boards run better than training?! Because.....i'd try it out again......even though i'm running it on an iMac G4 800. Hahaha.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 10:47 PM

Crashed in the only time I've run it, during training. Just after the video "build your forces then go and take out this base".

Also the video was a little jumpy, most obvious on the title/menu screen.

I don't see anything in the system logs.

Looked like fun, but it didn't last long. Back to UT2004 for me too

(And that's only $40. $50 for a game always seems $10 too high to me.)

PB, 15", 1.25GHz, 1GB.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by gperks:
Crashed in the only time I've run it, during training. Just after the video "build your forces then go and take out this base".

Also the video was a little jumpy, most obvious on the title/menu screen.

I don't see anything in the system logs.

Looked like fun, but it didn't last long. Back to UT2004 for me too

(And that's only $40. $50 for a game always seems $10 too high to me.)

PB, 15", 1.25GHz, 1GB.
Same here. Just downloaded, installed on my TiBook 1 GHz, and started the training and it crashed.

Come on Aspyr???

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 8, 2004, 03:33 AM

I downloaded the demo at macupdate and it took all of 12 minutes to retrieve the whole file.

Ive only tested the training mission just briefly, but everything seems to run really smooth on my QS 933, and the graphix are really nice, and the game looks like its very well done. I was running it at 1024 x 768 with medium settings for the detail etc.

I first got into Command n Conquer on a PS1 back in the day, so it would not be an exaggeration to say that CnC Generals is a drastic step up from that one.

What more can I say ? The game looks pretty damn cool. The only small minus, is the lack of crossplatform play, which has already been mentioned. But otherwise, Its looking very nice.

Its not everyday that a game like this gets released for Mac, so Im happy.

Nice job.

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 07:46 AM

Ok, I'm at work now. Tried C&C on a Dual 867, 1.5 GB, all stock MDD. Runs great. I love it, what a great game. I could get seriously addicted to it. To bad it keeps crashing my Tibook which is my home mac and where I can play games the most. I got a 800 MDD and 1.8 Single G5 here that I'll try it on later and give you guys an update. Maybe I'll throw it on the Xserve for giggles.
"This is fun, right?"

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 09:03 AM

Will download the demo when I get home. Have to try it on my TiBook (pls see sig for specs), will report how it runs and whether you need to set your setting to the absolute minimun to be able to play.
My Blog & Photos

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 10:08 AM

Downloaded and tried it out on my dualie 1.25 G4. Unfortunately it was crashing whenever I got about 5 minutes into the game. No haxies, just a clean 10.3.3.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2004, 10:31 AM

Btw, are there any keys to scroll the map? I really don't like using the mouse to do that.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 11:04 AM

Tried out the demo at 1024x768 with graphics/details on high on my G5 1.8GHz (not dual CPU), Radeon 9600, 1GB memory and it ran great.

FurionStormrage
Apr 8, 2004, 11:29 AM

15 inch orginal 1Ghz Powerbook with a Super Drive, 768 Ram, 64MB Video card.
Same crashing here, though I have what you have with the exception of only 512 MB RAM.
I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 12:35 PM

Just wanted to keep you all updated, we have received a bunch of crash logs, and 99% are Radeon 9000's. We did have one from a 9600 too. The good news is all the crashes are in the same place, so once we fix it, it should fix the 9000's and the rare other ATI models that are crashing.

We're also going to fix the multiple monitor cursor control issue (this one definitely should have been caught before it went out, that's our fault).

The other reported bug we're looking at is the graphical glitches where lighting gets funky and shows black bars or obvious triangles. This one does appear to go away if you lower your detail settings.

We had done testing on both Powerbooks and the 9000 in a desktop machine, so I'm not sure how this crash slipped through. But we're on it and will get a fix in the works. It's going to take a few days, so we can make sure it's 100% fixed, but we will definitely be fixing the demo and rolling all of those changes into a retail patch as well.

Thanks,
Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

This what I like about the Mac community, you get to "Know" the people, even the developers and programmers. Mac users are truly a community. Thanks Aspyr, I've been playing on my Dual 867 MDD and I love this game can't wait to get the retail version. WooHoo.
"This is fun, right?"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2004, 01:47 PM

Thanks Aspyr, I've been playing on my Dual 867 MDD and I love this game can't wait to get the retail version. WooHoo.
What video card are you on? I'm on QS 867 w/ Radeon 8500 64MB and C&C:G ran at around 10 fps for me

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 02:32 PM

My work mac is a Dual 867, Geforce4 MX w/ 32 and 1.5 GB ram. The Training mission was fast, the China a little slower and the GLA slow. Yes, slow but certainly playable. But that's my opinion, I don't need all the details or lots of speed, just make the game playable. I'd tell you the FPS, but I don't know how to get that info.
"This is fun, right?"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
Just wanted to keep you all updated, we have received a bunch of crash logs, and 99% are Radeon 9000's. We did have one from a 9600 too. The good news is all the crashes are in the same place, so once we fix it, it should fix the 9000's and the rare other ATI models that are crashing.

We're also going to fix the multiple monitor cursor control issue (this one definitely should have been caught before it went out, that's our fault).

The other reported bug we're looking at is the graphical glitches where lighting gets funky and shows black bars or obvious triangles. This one does appear to go away if you lower your detail settings.

We had done testing on both Powerbooks and the 9000 in a desktop machine, so I'm not sure how this crash slipped through. But we're on it and will get a fix in the works. It's going to take a few days, so we can make sure it's 100% fixed, but we will definitely be fixing the demo and rolling all of those changes into a retail patch as well.

Thanks,
Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media
Thank you for such a fast response. I look forward to playing/purchasing when the patch is available.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 8, 2004, 03:42 PM

Another thank you to Glenda. Thank you for resolving this so fast, not only for the retail version but the demo as well. You guys rock!

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Apr 8, 2004, 04:30 PM

I need that game!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Demo runs fine on my 17 Rev. A.
This is exactly the game I�ve been waiting for.
What better way to spend one`s free time than blowing stuff up?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

redJag
Senior User
Apr 8, 2004, 09:41 PM

sweet finally getting it downloaded, will post results (crappy computer tho: 733G4 w/ Radeon 8500, 1 Gb RAM)
Travis Sanderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules