Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3D Software to do Storyboards and Anamatics??

3D Software to do Storyboards and Anamatics??
k2director
Senior User
May 23, 2005, 02:19 PM

I want to start creating my own animated storyboards in a 3D space, and wanted to know if people have any recommendations for a 3D app that would be well suited to the task?

Basically, I need the ability to build simple rooms or building exteriors (not modeled in detail, just basic shapes, maybe applying some simple textures) and the ability to take a couple of 3D character models, and position them in the world, and give them basic animations for walking, or running (but I would find those animations on the web, I wouldn't need to do them myself).

In other words, I need the basic ability to put some simple characters in a simple 3D world, apply some simple animation, and move the camera around. The animatics I want to build will NOT be used to sell clients, to post for public consumption, etc. etc. I don't really care if they look great, I just need a quick way to create and render them for shot-planning purposes.

Question is: which 3D product (Maya, Blender, etc.) is EASIEST to use for this purpose? Any guidance much appreciated!

Arch.
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by k2director
I want to start creating my own animated storyboards in a 3D space, and wanted to know if people have any recommendations for a 3D app that would be well suited to the task?

Basically, I need the ability to build simple rooms or building exteriors (not modeled in detail, just basic shapes, maybe applying some simple textures) and the ability to take a couple of 3D character models, and position them in the world, and give them basic animations for walking, or running (but I would find those animations on the web, I wouldn't need to do them myself).

In other words, I need the basic ability to put some simple characters in a simple 3D world, apply some simple animation, and move the camera around. The animatics I want to build will NOT be used to sell clients, to post for public consumption, etc. etc. I don't really care if they look great, I just need a quick way to create and render them for shot-planning purposes.

Question is: which 3D product (Maya, Blender, etc.) is EASIEST to use for this purpose? Any guidance much appreciated!

Check out sketchup.

k2director  (op)
Senior User
May 26, 2005, 11:24 PM

Thanks, I had no idea that it existed, and it looks interesting. Will download a trial and see...

Forum Links
Forum Rules