Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [abandoned idea] once before the contest...

[abandoned idea] once before the contest...
idle
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2004, 06:36 PM

was the idea for a theme based on the color choice of the 60s/70s era. i never finished this and to be honest i am still not satisfied with the looks. Sooo, you can all rant away on this... or praise it, whatever you want (even offer to finish it)

i just thought i'd share this with you and give em windozers a good idea to rip off and create some hype along....

[ idle. ]

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 06:38 PM

I really like the way the titlebar wraps around the toolbar widget...

That's pretty much it. It's, uh, not quite my style .

EDIT: Heh heh. Just noticed that you used rounded corners on the menu box. I like how subtle those are, since the ones in my mockup were a little out there, but Max informs me that they're impossible to do in Aqua. Cryin' shame, I say.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 07:01 PM

Ah yes, the mockup I advised you to ditch. How wrong I was. (People seem to be going for usability over Sweet Slumber's awesome uniqueness.)

What's up with the slider selector? Any story behind that?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2004, 07:27 PM

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 08:34 PM

idle, I like sweet slumber better than this mockup . I don't think the retro look is popular enough anymore for support in a contest, hehe. It's been so long since I looked at this mockup though I can't tell if you've fixed what stood out to me or not... hell I can't even remember what stood out to me other than the window titlebar pink line (which is much better than I last saw it, unless you never changed it and I'm just going insane).

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Reminds me of A Clockwork Orange. That means it's time for me to go outside.
DigitalRamen sucks.

dru
Senior User
Apr 1, 2004, 08:53 PM

I think I like it. It's ugly but the color choices are probably pretty dang usable. This is a very nice attempt to bring retro design to what has been otherwise bland theming.

Would you mind if I took a stab at doing a Kaleidoscope scheme based on this? I'm curious how usable it'd be and that's a quick way to get an idea.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

idle  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 04:18 AM

nah, not at all. go ahead n stab.

[ idle. ]

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 06:31 AM

Well, I gave it five stars. Like many people said, I want it made, but I wouldn't use it.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 01:25 PM

i could see this on a sleek powerbook in the background of one of those gay designer shows on tlc. they all seem to love that look

im straight though (despite the fact that gay designer shows interest me to no end) so this stabs my eye as well. but its more of a fork than a knife..

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by idle:
was the idea for a theme based on the color choice of the 60s/70s era. i never finished this and to be honest i am still not satisfied with the looks. Sooo, you can all rant away on this... or praise it, whatever you want (even offer to finish it)

It's wicked - I'd use it in a second with a Buddy Lee or retro blender desktop picture. I really honestly think it rocks and hard Imagine the funky loungy versions in red/orange/brown/green with tiki totems and stuff - absolutely amazing design... you've nailed that retro kitchen/lifestyle look dead-on. I'd say it's more mid-sixties cuisinart chic than 70s though. Brilliant stuff. You could do a whole Ultralounge-inspired series just by tweaking colors a bit. Truly impressive.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Apr 3, 2004 at 01:45 AM. )

gbarill
Apr 5, 2004, 08:57 PM

i agree, i think the style of this is perfect, it's very well implemented. i don't know if i'd use it (likely not), but i'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme. same design with different colour options would be the best i think (even though you said you've abandoned it... oh well)

all in all, well done, very cool looking

idle  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 09:02 PM

well, i haven't deleted the psd's and with such a feedback you're just likely of getting my mind changed. we'll see what comes after "Sweet Slumber" and the three other color/theme variations of it. I was thinking about a chrome streetcruiser 50's look theme but we'll see.

[ idle. ]

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 09:38 PM

That sure is an odd one. Im always up for a little retro though

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Forum Links
Forum Rules