Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Fantasy mod idea: a MacClassic iPod

Fantasy mod idea: a MacClassic iPod
yin7yang64
Jun 23, 2004, 09:04 PM

Probably a LOT more trouble than it would be worth, but ever since I saw the Chicago font interface on my first iPod I've wondered what the display would look like ported to a CRT screen,...say, like the one on the MacClassic sitting on the shelf in my basement. For that matter, if you knew how to send the video from the iPod to an old display, you might as well install the rest of the guts in the case--hard drive, power supply, and all--and create a retro desktop iPod.

(Of course, if that's what you really wanted, you oughta just buy an old PowerBook and run iTunes on it.)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2004, 11:37 AM

You'd need a wiring diagram for the iPods display cable.

gbarill
Jun 25, 2004, 01:32 AM

and while you were at it you could install a huge hard drive in there. (250GB ipod classic anyone?)
that would be sweet. you could make a lot of money making those to sell...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 10:03 AM

I would think you best bet would be to scrap the idea of using an actual iPod and just mimic the interface on the Mac. The least expensive way to go would probably be to rip out the guts, put in a mini-ITX mobo, get a small LCD panel and install linux w/ an MP3 player that mimic's the iPod interface.

Maybe take a Kenisington Expert Mouse:

And somehow mount it and use it's scroll ring and 4 buttons to siulate the iPod controls.

It's a lot of work, but I think a more likely option than getting the iPod to diplay on a Classic Mac screen.

EDIT: The iPod has 5 buttons- not 4- forgot about that. Maybe hack a 5th button where the trackball is in the Expert Mouse?

gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 04:35 PM

i would like to see the see through ibook/power mac g4 see through plastic style ipod... instead of the modern white, i'm sure it would be inferior as many would say... but if it could be the same size/weight and what not i'd like to see one... would look drop dead gorgeous i think
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules