Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > sonys ipod competitor

sonys ipod competitor
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 03:26 AM

so we know that this thing is a tad bit bigger than the ipod mini yet a lot smaller than the 3g ipod.
we know there is 30 hours of play time.

so if apple makes there ipod smaller and 30 hours of play time

combo that with apples genius designs we have a seller.

we know its possible since sony did it.

For once a hd player that actually looks decent.
dell's is ugly. nomad huge etc

if it uses the same 1.8 inch drive how do they make it smaller i don't understand. http://macnn.com/news/25304

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:51 AM

From the MacNN homepage:
It will play songs in its proprietary ATRAC format only, and thus will not be compatible with any other online stores.
Next!

It is sort of handsome, in Sony's utilitarian sort of way.

I wonder if anyone will ever make an iPod competitor which syncs with iTunes with no extra hassle?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 04:06 AM

the point is it can be done as we have seen with the sony. not talking about format cuase of couse we like aac. but we know now 30 hours is avalible
dell and others have done it with 20 hours. dell now does a promo you give a ipod to them and get a 15 gig for 100 bucks.
all apple needs to do is with this 4g
adress battery not that 8 hours is plenty but if the sony is small as it is and has 30 hours then its possible and the price won't make 2 much of a difference.
size of couse as we have seen with the sony.
so features we are lacing os a oled screen as we see sony's has a color screen
mainly for ical possibly.
all the work is done on the computer naturally with a better cpu faster.
we know its possible with oled since kodac has them in production and the game boy advance uses it. even if it is just 4 colors better than just black and white.
what else. better battery 30 hours right so stick in bt or wifi and bring it down to 20 hours still 20 hours is better than before 8 hours.
also airport express compatible is a must for apple.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 01:39 PM

and now the promo.
defently a indacator to a 4g ipod.
trying to promote the ipod to clear out invatory.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 12:43 AM

Why it will fail.

1. No built in MP3 support, users must covert all song to SONYs format for playback.
2. 30 hour life and song capacity is for songs encoded at 48 kbps. Battery life falls with increased bitrate, Sony says 64 kbps files will get 10% battery life.

Siskomac
Jul 2, 2004, 03:27 AM

Try as they might, no one can best the iPod + wide MP3 support + iTunes combo...at least for the foreseeable future.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 07:14 AM

If anybody can it will be sony, or perhaps Dell.

The one thing that this will hopefully do is keep Apple on its toes. They have to improve the battery and storage. It would be nice to see a flash memory ipod mini. No moving parts.

Mike

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 06:47 PM

iPod needs a refresh soon.

Don't get me wrong, it still is teh best looking player out there, but a refresh would be nice soon.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 06:43 PM

We know there is a refreshing comming we just know that a smaller ipod can be done is the answer. when we don't know but soon. also look at the promo apple is doing. I think once they reach the 100 mill or what ever they will show the new ipod.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Jul 4, 2004 at 07:24 PM. )

gbarill
Jul 5, 2004, 12:22 PM

if Apple shrinks the next generation of full-sized ipod's, they'll probably have to revamp the iPod Mini as well, since they'd be edging in on the size of the ipod mini and probably people would be even more willing to pay the extra $50 and get a full size ipod.

however, i agree. one of the single biggest reasons i'm not more motivated to buy an iPod is the lack of battery life. if the battery lasted a lot longer, i'd be saving up for an iPod right now. as it is, it's not a priority, since i have a discman that lasts for a whole month of listening on one charge of its internal batteries (the sony D-EJ1000, totally killer machine), and i listen to music a lot. if I had an ipod, there would be days i think where I would kill the battery, and i never want that happening on something I just spent $500 on. hence, no ipod for me right now...

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 01:38 PM

even if they shrink the ipod it won't be smaller than the ipod mini or as small it will still be bigger but yet still smaller than the ipod. Since the sony one is smaller than the ipod but bigger than the mini. We know battery is not a problem as dell and all the other companeis have gotten over 10 hours of battery life.

gbarill
Jul 5, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
even if they shrink the ipod it won't be smaller than the ipod mini or as small it will still be bigger but yet still smaller than the ipod. Since the sony one is smaller than the ipod but bigger than the mini. We know battery is not a problem as dell and all the other companeis have gotten over 10 hours of battery life.
obviously it won't be smaller than the ipod mini. what you're saying here is exactly what i said. you could have read my post...
what i meant was is that it would hurt them to have an iPod mini unchanged and a new gen iPod full that's not much bigger, so therefore they would have to revamp the iPod mini and make it even smaller...
and the battery life is really important, i think this is the weakest point of the current ipods

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 02:31 PM

ok makes scence. they would have to switch to toshiba's very small hd the one the size of a quater at 4 gigs then bring in the 5 gig from segate as a mid and a 60 gig from hitachi or toshiba which ever one is at 1.8 I forget. If they some how use solar pannels to charge it how cool would that be. then you have pretty much endless amounts of battery. Iv seen now jackets that have thin solar pannels size of a wallet to chage things. http://www.scottevest.com/htmlemail/...ase/ctia2.html
( Last edited by yoyoman; Jul 5, 2004 at 02:41 PM. )

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 01:33 AM

also if u look at the indeo site there new chip has optical out as well as video capabilitys and if apple still uses them for the chip then it could be possible.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
We know there is a refreshing comming we just know that a smaller ipod can be done is the answer. when we don't know but soon. also look at the promo apple is doing. I think once they reach the 100 mill or what ever they will show the new ipod.
Also they have the new "Cram and Jam" promo for $200 rebate when you buy a Powerbook/iBook with an iPod:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/cramjam.html

Maybe they are moving some inventory?
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2004, 08:45 AM

Toshiba has already announced that Apple has placed a large order for the upcoming 60GB drives, shipping in August/September.

It's a given that a new iPod will be available in fall, probably announced at MW Paris on Aug. 31st.

-s*

mbryda
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
If anybody can it will be sony, or perhaps Dell.
Sony, maybe. Dell, no way in hell. Why? Dell does not innovate. Dell does not even do their own design. They take the lowest cost (and poorest quality) components and slap them in a box and call it a product. They do not enter a market until they can be the cheapest (and poorest quality, IMHO) at it. Then they sucker people into buying it with the low price.

Dell won't innovate in anything, ever. Mikey started the company as a 2 bit clone operation and his only "innovation" was introducing JIT to the computer industry (which the auto and other industries had been using for years). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that - your materials drop in cost every day - it makes sense to only buy what you use when you need it....

You have a better chance seeing an innovative product out of IBM than anything innovative or worthwile coming from Dell. Even their printers are low end Lexmarks and not worth the cardboard box they come in, just like their computers.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 07:42 PM

so opgical and video any one. that new chip supports it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules