Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Colored OS X startup logo?

Colored OS X startup logo?
jblaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 09:23 AM

I saw someone's PowerBook with the original colored Apple logo in place of the grey apple at startup. Does anyone know how to do this?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2004, 11:36 AM

Can't you email him?

I guess the image is stored somewhere. You'd need to know the name of the file in order to modify it.
Or perhaps its possible to get it to display a new image over the top of the old one. In which case you would need to know what to modify in order to display the new image at the required time.

Sounds hardcore.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 06:14 AM

Aloha

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:33 PM

I think this month's MacAddict had a write up on how to substitue your own image in place of the OS X boot screen at start up. I'd be more informative, but I've misplaced my issue!

Anyone else?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
I think this month's MacAddict had a write up on how to substitue your own image in place of the OS X boot screen at start up. I'd be more informative, but I've misplaced my issue!

Anyone else?
Well Link already posted a perfectly good app (it seems anyways) but this is one of the first, and one I've used without problem:

MacBoot

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by jblaze:
I saw someone's PowerBook with the original colored Apple logo in place of the grey apple at startup. Does anyone know how to do this?
This might be a dumb question - but why would someone be restarting OSX anyway? And if you were (system update/etc) it would surely be extremely rare so why would you care about the colour of the startup logo?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 10:10 AM

Most people seem to shut down their machines at night for some reason.

I'm not one of them though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
This might be a dumb question - but why would someone be restarting OSX anyway? And if you were (system update/etc) it would surely be extremely rare so why would you care about the colour of the startup logo?
I can tell 3 reasons one would do that:

1. electricity costs, even though the power consumption is very small, it adds up
2. my G4 is very sensitive; if I turn on the TV on the same power strip it will come on as well
3. (the most important for me!) having my room lit up with pulsating light doesn't help me sleep (always have to think of Mr. Burns after his radioactive treatment )

But the ibook in the living room is shut down every 2 or 3 weeks!
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 04:16 PM

it is good for your computer to restart, especially after you have been up for a while. it will clear all the swap-files off your HD.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by motti:
1. electricity costs, even though the power consumption is very small, it adds up
The savings would only be gained if you unplugged the power adapter from your wall - the transformer otherwise is permanently, 24 hours a day, converting your 240V/110V down to 12V.

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
it is good for your computer to restart, especially after you have been up for a while. it will clear all the swap-files off your HD.
Actually it's the other way around - OSX is based on UNIX which is designed to be left running as long as possible. Caching, automatic maintenance, etc perform best only after running constantly.

You'll find OSX itself has various maintenance tasks that will only run if your machine is actually running overnight (eg not sleeping but actually running).

This is something Apple need to address somewhat so that those of us who leave our machines asleep (or those that do a full shutdown/restart) can still have those tasks perform automatically without having to run programs such as MacJanitor to force the maintenance to take place.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2004, 10:51 PM

DVD Plaza is correct about rebooting.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 07:14 PM

PowerMacMan is correct about DVD Plaza.

gbarill
Jul 6, 2004, 01:26 PM

Paco500 is correct about.. ok i won't do it.

but yes, about the changing logo, i changed my startup logo to a picture of hobbes. (made it myself)
course i rarely see it... but i suppose that's a good thing

if anyone wants it this is what it looks like:

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

You might want to ask this over at the GUI board here on the forums since they know about this type of stuff, but you can use something like Startup Syringe to load images in...there are a few others as well. Imagine_BootX was one, I think...anyway, ResExcellence has a nice selection of boot images, as well as info and downloads for the stuff that will handle it for you. To be able to do it, you basically need to load in a new color palette and the image that you want to use. I have no clue where to load it though, so just use some application or script to do it for you.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules