Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Mirror finish Powerbook?

Mirror finish Powerbook?
KidKit
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 02:33 AM

Hey all,

I've noticed that my 12" Rev B Powerbook has some pretty shiny corners. I believe the chafing between the corners of the PB and my laptop bag over the last year has worn down the matte aluminium surface to a rather smooth shine.

I was wondering if you guys can help point out whether this is possible... Can I polish the powerbook's aluminium surface to a shine for the entire exterior? How far can this go? More specifically, can I get an iPod kind of mirror shine to my powerbook? What are the kind of materials I would need to polish and buff aluminium to a shine?

Thanks in advance!
mavafyipdq

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2004, 04:13 AM

Might give emery cloth a try. It's kind of like a very fine sandpaper. But you could alsway give your AL book a Brushed Al look to it insted of a polished. One other thing to worry about would be sanding the case too thin

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 04:23 AM

Not sure the texture of the alu will allow for that degree of polish. But if it did, it would show far more scratches as well as every hand and fingerprint to touch it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

t500
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2004, 12:43 AM

I would think you should be able to buff it out with some polish. Like Mothers or Semi Crome...I would stay away from the emory coth. It will sctatch up your finish...

After the book is polished you should seal it. Other wise you will have to polish it all the time to keep it clean.

Spraying it with clear coat is not an option unless you take the entire PB apart. You could try a good coat of wax. That should keep the skuffs down... I would also keep the book in a flanel, fleece sleave.

Good luck.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 10:55 AM

----------------------- QUESTION ------------------------

Is it possible to ETCH the surface of an uluminium powerbook?

I would like to have a certain pattern/picture carved into it, done by a professional etcher. of course there will be dirt in the carvings but the overall effect might be beautiful
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

emuexplosion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2004, 12:32 PM

I've been wondering the same thing...

I have a laser that can do pretty much whatever you want, up to 256 shades on whatever you are burning. I'm sure that would look pretty awesome on the palm rest. Burn it so you can see it but not really feel it.

Ya.

-emu

Oh, and yes it does work on AL, my product is AL and I burn it all the time
PowerBook 15" 1.5 1.25 SD

gbarill
Dec 2, 2004, 02:57 AM

that sounds killer, would love to see a powerbook with an etched surface...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2004, 06:45 AM

You ought to be able to etch what you want into it as long as you are careful.
An engraving pen should do the trick, but don't press too hard, and take the internals out before you do it. The vibration could mess with components.

Forum Links
Forum Rules