Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4 on a 333 mhz PB

10.4 on a 333 mhz PB
OperaMan
Forum Regular
May 31, 2005, 11:18 PM

I have an old 333 powerbook that I wanna put Tiger on. The problem is that it doesn't support Tiger. I know about xpostfacto, but I don't know how it works. Since my pb doesn't have a cd-rom (dad lost it), I'm gonna be installing by putting the drive inside my quicksilver. Would I even need to install xpostfacto to get it to run when I put it back in the pb. If yes, will it let me install xpostfacto from my G4 already running 10.4.

OperaMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 11:17 PM

Bump. No one knows where the limitation is?

gbarill
Jun 7, 2005, 01:10 AM

why not just try it out and see for yourself?
i wish i could help, i have no idea at what point the os decides your computer isn't good enough

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 01:29 AM

You need FireWire. I've seen how Tiger runs on old G3s. Stick with Panther or pony up for a new Mac.

webb3201
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 05:46 PM

I second the call to stick with Panther (or OS9!), your performance will be better in the long run.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by OperaMan
I have an old 333 powerbook that I wanna put Tiger on. The problem is that it doesn't support Tiger. I know about xpostfacto, but I don't know how it works. Since my pb doesn't have a cd-rom (dad lost it), I'm gonna be installing by putting the drive inside my quicksilver. Would I even need to install xpostfacto to get it to run when I put it back in the pb. If yes, will it let me install xpostfacto from my G4 already running 10.4.
I have read reports that indicated that success can be easily achieved by removing your hard drive from your PB, putting it in a supported machine, installing Tiger from there, and then returning the hard drive to the PB.

Of course, a bunch of RAM is dandy.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 06:47 PM

How would you connect your 2.5" Powerbook drive to a Quicksilver?

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
How would you connect your 2.5" Powerbook drive to a Quicksilver?
Connecting a laptop drive to a desktop requires a couple buck adapter you can get at any large computer electronics store.

I have done lots of XPostFacto Installs. Installing by putting the drive in a supported system works just fine. My XPF installs are as stable or more stable than officially supported ones.

XPF will let you update/install the extensions it installs on any target drive you select with OS X on it in addition to allowing direct installs on unsupported systems.

So, install Tiger like normal on the target drive, then run XPF and tell it to update the new OS X system on the drive, then put the drive back in the PowerBook and it should work.

Back up EVERYTHING first, just in case. If you have the room on your desktop use DiskUtility to make an ASR image of you laptops entire hard drive before doing anything else.

My hobby website has lots of info on this and feel free to email me as well.

Don't forget to READ the XPF Read Me first. You DO NOT need to use XPF for the initial install if you are doing it the way you intend.

-R

http://sliceapple.ath.cx
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 12:05 AM

Well.. not a PowerBook, but I put Tiger on the unsupported iMac Rev. D 333 this afternoon.
Like old time, I prepared the drive into two partitions and installed Tiger on the first 8GB partition. I did the work on my G4 and then put the HDD back into the iMac.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
Well.. not a PowerBook, but I put Tiger on the unsupported iMac Rev. D 333 this afternoon.
Like old time, I prepared the drive into two partitions and installed Tiger on the first 8GB partition. I did the work on my G4 and then put the HDD back into the iMac.
That 8GB requirement is a huge pain. It requires much more effort to either juggle too little space in your home folder, or the willingness to make a bunch of sim links (which has its own problems.)

I have pretty much decided that for cases where the 8GB issue present that I will just make a little (like 1G) parition (usually containing OS 9 just for bail out and what not) and use it as the "helper" or "proxy" disk (using XPostFacto) so I can actually RUN from the large partition.

A disk that serves as its own helper via a partition seems to work nice.

Tigers requirement of a System with a built-in FireWire ports seems to be artificial as their is little difference in those systems as compared to the ones made just before. Therefore XPF does not have much problems supporting them since basically simply getting the system installed is the major road block.

I am going to install Tiger on a toilet seat tangerine iBook 300 sometime soon since it should be faster than Panther, but I want to up the hard drive and memory first. I would not install Tiger on a legacy machine with less than 512M of RAM.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules