Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook Est. Time to Delivery Change

17" PowerBook Est. Time to Delivery Change
HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2003, 09:46 AM

The Apple Store now says 6-8 weeks for new orders. What about orders made two weeks ago?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 10:11 AM

Well...

If you do the math for orders placed two weeks ago that said 7-10 weeks,

they are now at 5-8 weeks to go...a little better but nearly the same as those being placed today.

I'd say it's still on track and is equitable amongst the early orderers and present day orderers

If it weren't our early order ship dates would have changed, mine is still the same as it ever was

PS(Unless I missed your point )

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 10:30 AM

Ah man! Beat me to the announcement!!

But I'd say whenever you order your PowerBook, at THAT current time of order is when you should look at their site and see when the expected shipping date is. For example, for those who ordered on the day of the Keynote, they can expect them in 7-10 weels, but for someone who orders today, they can expect them in 6-8 weeks.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 09:01 PM

I'm gonna blow a gasket. What is taking them so long? New PowerMacs get anounced and you can have them now. New Display gets anounced, you can have it now. The PowerBook G4 12" 2-4 weeks is a milisecond in comparison to our 3 month+ wait. Why did they even anounce it. Why pay to advertise it. Why Why Why. Are monkeys building them? I am going to go nuts waiting for this thing! Plus some people people say their 17 ships 1/30 while others say 2/20 and mine says 3/26. And some people wont be seeing them until the Easter Bunny brings thiers! It makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I feel better now. Sorry I'm not normally like this.

p.s. mock orders say 7-10 weeks again not the 6-8 it says on the first page.

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 09:50 AM

I, for one, hope that monkeys are NOT building the 17" PowerBooks.

jeff72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 03:04 PM

I also ordered a PB 17 on Jan 7 and still have the March 24 delivery date. I am also pretty bummed by the fact that it may be the next quarter before I get my powerbook. Does anyone think that Apple set the date pretty far ahead so when they do get the Powerbooks out early, it will be a pleasant surprise?

HvyMtlMdns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 03:19 PM

I ordered mine on the 10th through my campus store. Apple told them a March 1st delivery time. I wonder if individual Apple reps are telling different dates to different people.

As for the idea of lowering expectations and delivering early, its a business technique called Underpromise & Overdeliver. That would be great if that were the case, but a two to two-and-a-half month wait seems a little excessive.

What is the earliest anyone has been told to expect shipment? I saw a blurb here that someone was told their unit would ship on or before 1-30.This seems unlikely!

All I know is that I really need my PB no later than March 1st

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by S S:
I'm gonna blow a gasket. What is taking them so long? New PowerMacs get anounced and you can have them now. New Display gets anounced, you can have it now. The PowerBook G4 12" 2-4 weeks is a milisecond in comparison to our 3 month+ wait. Why did they even anounce it. Why pay to advertise it. Why Why Why. Are monkeys building them? I am going to go nuts waiting for this thing! Plus some people people say their 17 ships 1/30 while others say 2/20 and mine says 3/26. And some people wont be seeing them until the Easter Bunny brings thiers! It makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I feel better now. Sorry I'm not normally like this.

p.s. mock orders say 7-10 weeks again not the 6-8 it says on the first page.
Actually, the new PowerMacs won't be in for 4-6 weeks, just thought I should point that out...
Am I still here?

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 12:17 AM

Okay, I made to big a generaliztion. Sorry. I know the big 1.43 Dual doesn't ship for a while but the lower two are shipping sooner from what I understood when I first posted my rant. I apologize and sympathize to those who are eagerly awaiting their 1.43 Dual. Who wants really hot computers in the winter anyway.

HvyMtlMdns  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 11:48 AM

Powerpage has a short blurb that the 17" PBs will ship in small quanitities in late February.

http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10528

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
Powerpage has a short blurb that the 17" PBs will ship in small quanitities in late February.

http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10528
Hopefully mine is one of those 'small quantities'. I ordered late though, the day after the Keynote.... but it was in the morning .

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 02:12 PM

I ordered one of the first batch of TiBooks the day after they were announced at the keynote.

It took 55 days to get mine.

My boss ordered me a 17" three days after the keynote.

I expect to wait...

and wait...

Forum Links
Forum Rules