Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > best (easiest) way to read MemoryStick ?

best (easiest) way to read MemoryStick ?
Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 04:53 PM

i have sony camera and a Clie PDA. The MemoryStick format is very convenient for me to move data.

how can i read the data from a MemoryStick onto my PowerBook. i have a USB card (stick) reader, of course (Acom mini-flash), but when plugging into my TiBooks USB port, it does not read it.

(on advanced system profiler, it does detect a flash device on USB port)

This Stick reader is about a year old and does require a driver on my Windows 2000 machines. When i put that disk into the TiBook, it reverted me to Classic, which i would like to avoid.

Are there any driver-less stick readers for OS X? USB or dare i say...Firewire?
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 05:14 PM

this one maybe?

http://www.synchrotech.com/products/card-rw_25.html

looks suspiciously like the one for $9.99 from 18004memory.com!
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2003, 06:30 PM

The Rev. B readers from Lexar are USB Mass Storage compatible.

So are the Sony readers, I believe. Sony even as a combo mouse/memorystick reader, god knows why.

Does your Clie sync natively with Palm Desktop/iSync? If you have a Clie that plays mp3s, then it won't hotsync without MissingSync from MarkSpace Software, which also includes software to mount a memory stick inserted into the Clie.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 07:32 PM

With my Sony digital camera, I just plug the camera into the USB cable and plug it into my PowerBook. It shows up on the desktop as a removeable disk, and I can read and copy files without a reader. Maybe your camera supports this feature too...? My camera is the DSC-P5.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 07:55 PM

I have a Memory Stick PCMCIA card. I got it from Sony. You can just leave it in your PC card slot and put sticks in and out. I had to get it when I bought my first digital camera becase my Wall Street didn't have USB. I don't know where it is exactly now. I need to find it for when I get a Sony Clie. Anyway, mabe they still make it. I think it was like $50 bucks, but that was over 3 years ago. Good luck.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by S S:
I have a Memory Stick PCMCIA card. I got it from Sony. You can just leave it in your PC card slot and put sticks in and out. They show up on the desktop with a Aqua Memory Stick icon and everything. I had to get it when I bought my first digital camera becase my Wall Street didn't have USB. I don't know where it is exactly now. I need to find it for when I get a Sony Clie. Anyway, mabe they still make it. I think it was like $50 bucks, but that was over 3 years ago. Good luck.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 08:01 PM

Sorry I ment to hit "edit" not "reply". Sorry for the double post. I tried to delete it but it wont let me. I'm not an idiot ( I promise)

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 11:18 PM

thanks for suggestions.

Cellery: i have that same camera! great pix and tiny size. decent short movies too.

and yes, iPhoto recognizes it no problem, but i use the Memory Stick for data/file movement too...and not always with the camera.
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

Forum Links
Forum Rules