Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > First time Mac buyer..........should I get the Applecare and .Mac?

First time Mac buyer..........should I get the Applecare and .Mac?
photoflow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 01:51 PM

Hi all, I'm a potential first time Mac buyer. As of right now, I'm leaning toward either the eMac or iMac, probably the iMac. Should I get the iMac, I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I spend the 100 bucks or so on the Applecare warranty?
2) Should I spend the 100 bucks or so on the .Mac online service?

What do you think? Opinions anybody.....

Thanks much!!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 02:22 PM

I don't have any experience on what AppleCare does, as I live in a backward country (in Apple's opinion), but enough on that. If you're having net access I think pretty much of the probs you should have should be able to be solved by posting a question on these forums, or you should have the way to problem solving even without it. However I would wait a little time until someone else replies now.

On the .Mac. When it was iTools and it was free it was rather handy sometimes, but also rather slow and with rather much downtimes. For a free service it's ok, but from which I've read it isn't much improved since it is a paid service.

In my opinion:it depends on your overall financial situation and what you are planning to do with your computer.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2003, 04:06 PM

You dont have to purchace the applecare right away. You have a year warranty from your imac. However, if you notice your imac having a lot of problem I would say go ahead and purchance the applecare. At least that is what i did to my ibook.
.Mac is awsome. I did the trail and it is very easy and fun to play with. It all depends on how you are going to use your mac. If you wanna share a lot of photos and files with your friends, family online. .Mac does the perfect job. Applecare is must have if you plan keep your mac for a while.
have fun with your mac

Edit: Go ahead sign up the 60 day .mac trail and then decided yourself!

photoflow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think the .Mac looks pretty cool, so I will probably go ahead and get it, or at least do the 60 trial!! My concern with the iMac really has to do with the flat lcd display. I've never had one before, and I'm not really sure how realiable they are compared to a standard CRT. This apple will get a lot of use, and maybe its better to have the Applecare because of the lcd display. Maybe, maybe not? I'm probably just being paranoid.....lol. I've had two pcs in my life, and I've never really had a major problem with either one and I never bought an extended warranty. My thinking is that I probably won't need the extended warranty for the Mac either (assuming my luck keeps up!!)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by photoflow:
Hi all, I'm a potential first time Mac buyer. As of right now, I'm leaning toward either the eMac or iMac, probably the iMac. Should I get the iMac, I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I spend the 100 bucks or so on the Applecare warranty?
2) Should I spend the 100 bucks or so on the .Mac online service?

What do you think? Opinions anybody.....

Thanks much!!
If you got the iMac I would get Applecare, if you got an eMac it is not so neccesary.
As you no doubt know .mac will give you an @mac email address and file space amongst other things. Its realy up to you on the last one, I recomend Applecare
we don't have time to stop for gas

PTCooki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 07:41 PM

I purchased the 17" 1GHZ iMac exactly 1 month ago. I love it. I purchased the AppleCare as well. I was already a ,Mac member before they started charging for it. Because of the LCD I would definately purchase the AppleCare. You just have to get it before your 1 year warranty runs out.

17" 1GHZ iMac, 512MB & PB Ti 550

mbryda
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 11:30 PM

I have a 15" iMac and picked up Applecare. It's only $149 and my main concern was/is the LCD display. Since this is my primary computer, I want to make sure that the LCD is always up to snuff, even after 2.5+ years. The other reason is that Apple parts (esp. the iMac's) can get quite expensive. Definitely worth the $149 for piece of mind. I plan on getting the same for the wife's iBook, esp. since it takes care of the battery for 3 years.

I'd try .mac and see if it's for you. I got it as a charter member (was an iTools user), and I'm not sure if it's going to be worth $100 next year. Try it and see how it goes - definitely more of a personal decision.

Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by PTCooki:
I purchased the 17" 1GHZ iMac exactly 1 month ago. I love it. I purchased the AppleCare as well. I was already a ,Mac member before they started charging for it. Because of the LCD I would definately purchase the AppleCare. You just have to get it before your 1 year warranty runs out.

17" 1GHZ iMac, 512MB & PB Ti 550
I agree strongly that AppleCare is an excellent purchase especially bk of the LCD. I just ordered an iMac 17 and included AppleCare as well as .Mac. Since I am first time Mac buyer (after 19 yrs of PC's), I thought the .Mac was the best as a Apple primer. This allows me one yr to determine if the .Mac is worthwhile.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 02:28 AM

I would definitely say 'yes' to Applecare! That one has saved me in the past and it's nice to have the security.

I'm not crazy about .Mac. I bought it when they first began charging cause they offered it at half-price. But I won't renew in the fall. It's way too expensive for what it offers. It's not that special to me...just another expense.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 07:43 PM

I'm thinking about Apple care myself but I'm not sure. It souldn't break and I hate paying to plan on something breaking. I've had nine Macs, both PowerBooks and Desktops and never had to take one in for service. That is, until this new 1 Ghz iMac. So now I'm not sure.

As for .Mac. I was reluctent. But if you like to take digital pictures and know nothing about website develpoment it is great. It is so easy to have a website with .Mac and iPhoto. You don't even have to think. And the e-mail is something you could get through hotmail for free. But unlike Microsoft they don't sell your address to smut peddlers and the like. I think the .Mac price is a bit high but I can't imagine living without it now.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 08:42 PM

To me, .Mac is worth it just for the mac.com email and iPhoto's HomePage integration. It's just so easy (and fun) to click 'HomePage' and watch my pictures get resized and sent into cyberspace.

varob
Location: @ The North Coast of USA = The South Shore of Lake Erie.........
Mar 26, 2003, 04:07 PM

@ Applecare Warranty = how much do you worry about things ? ? ? ? If you subscribe to the belief that any electronic device that doesn't ex-implode during the first year will live forever, save your money.... But if believe that you should never buy the first year production run of anything new or you're not comfortable hoping not to have gotten an established product w/ a problem [Quality Assurred 99.999999999%], sign up now....

Bought Applecare when bought iMac 350 [Blueberry]....

@ .Mac, joined when first came out as a freebie for Apple Users + took the First Year Half 0ff offer to existing users when became a Pay Service = but, from personal experience, if you have a dial-up-connection, it literally takes forever to get into the system ! ! ! ! For that reason, have [email protected] automatically bounced to local ISP address.... Have actually used a PC @ local library's Computer Resources to get into .Mac because have DSL Connection there & of course .Mac loads very nicely....

Not sure if will sign up for another year come September 2003....

Hope have been some help....

Forum Links
Forum Rules