Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 pix (along side a TiBook)

New G5 pix (along side a TiBook) (Page 2)
soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
Ohhhh, OWNED.
I was wondering if that ever happened around here. Guess it could be that he changed his mind after the other thread...just speculating.

Anyway, about the dust. I have dust in my machines right now. Granted, it's not much but my machines still collect some.

And I wouldn't put too much into the "holes in the front" aesthetics thing. It looks like you can't even see them unless you're right next the machine anyway.

PreciousBbird
Jul 15, 2003, 07:27 PM

Gee - I didn't think about the dust problem - since I have a dusty parrot I will have to not buy one (at least not until the matching monitor comes out). When the monitor matches, I will just buy a bigger air cleaner at the same time! Love that brushed aluminum look....*sigh*

She's too happy!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 07:54 PM

Do you think Jonathan Ives has developed a fetish for see through materials?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 10:12 PM

I'm not really too fond of the new case design either. I just got my first G4 not too long ago and was really pleased with the way it looks in my computer room. Now I see the new G5 design, and I can't help but think it looks like something any PC manufacturer could do if they put just a little more effort into it. I just get the feeling that it's 'almost' been done before.

Look at this case design and tell me it's not too far fetched to say that CoolerMaster could have just as easily pulled off that look.
Coolermaster aluminium PC case

Oh well, if I get rid of the G4 and get a G5, at least I would have had a really cool looking computer for a little while.

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Look at this case design and tell me it's not too far fetched to say that CoolerMaster could have just as easily pulled off that look.
Coolermaster aluminium PC case
Come on, man! That thing is like every other PC case out there, just made from aluminium. Have you even looked at the internal G5 pics? The G5 case's form and materials follows directly from it's need for cooling. The internal design if the G5 is unlike anything that's ever been done before. And having the enclosure made from 2 pieces af aluminum that wrap around it is beautiful.

The G5 has all the curve and appeal of any Apple design of late, IMO.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by silverlode:
Come on, man! That thing is like every other PC case out there, just made from aluminium. Have you even looked at the internal G5 pics? The G5 case's form and materials follows directly from it's need for cooling. The internal design if the G5 is unlike anything that's ever been done before. And having the enclosure made from 2 pieces af aluminum that wrap around it is beautiful.

The G5 has all the curve and appeal of any Apple design of late, IMO.
Oh yeah, I've seen the insides, and sure, it's very functional. The side profile with the exposed interior is really cool looking. I'm just saying that from the outside, the G5 (to me) looks pretty much like a semi-glorified PC server case with a few curves and an Apple logo.

I'm not saying the G5 looks 'bad', I'm just saying it looks much more plain than I had hoped for.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 04:33 PM

For the record... I love the new case. Yet, I respect the airing of complaints whenever a new design is ushered in. At the same time, remember that cyber-forums tend to elicit complaints in a disproportionate ratio.

I like how internal cables and cords have been eliminated. Sure, other cases (like Alienware) have built in windows. Yet, the interiors are usually cluttered with cheap looking fans, power cords, and mangled ribbons to internal storage.

The new design just reeks of 'pure machine'. At the same time, the materials used in the G5 are refined, looking more like luxury/designer electronics than off the shelf, injected molded, bargain basement, no-name gadgets.

In response to other comments:

Dust? Such an open case means slower localized airflow and less airborne particulate. More holes != more dust and crud. Feel free to put your computer on the floor. You have a higher chance of lightening induced surge damage than heat damage due too dirty heat sinks and clogged vents.

Wasted desk space? This assumes that putting something on your desk is wasting desk space. I have absolutely no use for additional space on my desk. To not use it would be wasteful.

Too big? The vertical dimension could be a problem for some fixed height alcoves. However, the depth and width changes are trivial.

Finally... I think the new design will be heralded as brilliant when it�s discovered that quad CPU systems don't necessitate any additional case R&D time or cost. Yep, the power supply and CPU zones will accommodate increased power consumption and heat dissipation nicely.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Well, it seems the picture was just to document its existence for government records, nothing more.

This picture is no piece of art either, but it's a little better:

A PVC Desk, I will have to remember that...

-Owl

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 06:33 PM

Is this a government test of the radiation emitted by Airport? It would make sense to have a non-metalic desk for that.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 07:42 PM

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion. However, I can't stand it when people say something like "You have to admit it's ugly".

I think the new G5 is drop dead gorgeous. I think it's one of the best peices of minimal design I've every seen. Like it or not, it makes a statment about what it is and what's inside. It is just so honest. The design seems to say "F*ck you! I am the most badass computer in the world" It doesn't need sweeping curves or a bunch of styling. The beauty is in the quality of materials and the perfection of surface. I'll admit, the keyboard and display designs don't match at all. I'm sure there is an aluminum display design in the pipeline.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 09:05 PM

I like the look. It doesn't scream "APPLE" enough though....

For the front, they should have varied the hole size at the front so you could see an Apple symbol shining from the front.

Right now, it strangely reminds me of a giant electric shaver grille.

God, I really hope they re-fashion the mouse and keyboard. That would be tacky if they just ship the white units that don't match at all with computer's exterior.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I like the case.

Could be improved, but what couldn't?

IMHO, it has an industrial 'harshness' to it, that really shows it's intent of the machine...
You said it.

This machine looks so harsh that you might get a cut if you touch it in the wrong place. Kinda retro 50's - big, dangerous and all metal.
Too bad the tower doesn't emit a noxious plume of black exhaust (too early to tell)

A keyboard & a TWO-BUTTON mouse crafted from aluminum would look equally bastardly.

PS The picture isn't that bad, fer chrissake, at least it's a picture of a G5.

LudwigVan123
Jul 20, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
Is this a government test of the radiation emitted by Airport? It would make sense to have a non-metalic desk for that.
The tests had something to do with the Bluetooth, Airport, etc. antennae which can be plugged into the back of the G5. I recall seeing these pictures a few days after the keynote on a government (FCC?) website.

Forum Links
Forum Rules