Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > heat issues reduced w/panther?

heat issues reduced w/panther?
wildcard
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:44 AM

how odd....

on the 12" Rev A. powerbook, my typical "idle" temp is around 110-120 degree F, during heavy hard drive activity like gaming/burning CD's, the temps went up to 147 F (with the hair dryer-type fan activity). After installing Panther, my typical "idle" temp is down to 105 F. I plan on torture-testing it more this afternoon, but was curious if anyone else noticed temp differences with 10.3?

(Also curious if the Temperature Monitor program found on VersionTracker will work on G4 Ibooks, but that's a whole 'nother thread....)

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 11:29 AM

By some accounts, Panther implements a more aggressive "processor cycling" during periods of low system activity--which would also account for better battery life... I'm wondering if they do this with the "automatic" energy saver setting? Do you have your processor performance set to "highest?"

wildcard  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:57 PM

yep, all settings at HIGHEST/Best performance.

bgordon
Oct 25, 2003, 09:30 PM

Hottest I've managed to get my 15inch PB post-Panther is 50.5 Celsius, as compared to 58-61 Celsius in Jaguar. Still hot but not scalding like before.

I have noticed a slight decrease in Airport range, too -- 70-80 percent signal three feet away from base station (Extreme.)

Feels a tad faster overall, though, esp. on application openings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules