Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > second hard drive

second hard drive
bradleykavin
Aug 15, 2004, 11:35 PM

i just purchased a 250 gig hd by maxtor..i installed it and removed the stock 80 gig hd..i had no use for the 80 and i dont think anyone would wnat ot buy it caus most g5s come with more than 80..so i installed it on the second bay, and reformatted it as a second hard drive (not raid)...i dont nessessarily need the storage but i thought i could put it to use...does having this second hard drive reduce any speed to my computer, or have any disadvantages? or does it do anything better besides allow more storage?
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:31 AM

You failed to mention the speed of the HD (4200rpm, 5400rpm or 7200rpm). These days it makes sense to get 7200rpm HDs with an 8mb buffer. Those are the fastest IDE drives available.

Also tell us what model G4 you have. Could be that the HD needs to use a special card (called an ATA/133 card) in order to really take full advantage of the speed.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2004, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by bradleykavin:
does having this second hard drive reduce any speed to my computer, or have any disadvantages? or does it do anything better besides allow more storage?
If they're hooked up on the same cable/bus, you'll only see a performance hit when data is being written to both disks simultaneously.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bradleykavin  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 09:09 PM

i have the powermac g5 dual 1.8 rev b..there stwo hard drives..one is 250 gigs 7200 rpm 8 meg buffer. the other is 80 gig 7200 rpm 8 meg buffer..both are using serial ata..the 250 is in bus a and the 80 is in bus b
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2004, 09:29 PM

Oh, bstone's post threw me off. I was thinking you were dealing with IDE.

Serial ATA is not capable of supporting more than one drive per bus. So each of the two drives you have hooked up is operating independantly. So, no, there is no performance hit by having both drives installed.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Oh, bstone's post threw me off. I was thinking you were dealing with IDE.

Serial ATA is not capable of supporting more than one drive per bus. So each of the two drives you have hooked up is operating independantly. So, no, there is no performance hit by having both drives installed.
/me throws PowerMacMan

heh..

PMM is absolutely correct. If you wish to add more drives you'll have to get an S-ATA card with more ports on it.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules