Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > which processors will be used in the new macs?

which processors will be used in the new macs?
bradleykavin
Jul 29, 2005, 06:32 AM

i am curious...which processors will be used in the new macs? does anyone know? how fast are they compared to the g5? will they be 64-bit? if there not 64-bit then i wont understand. apple was obsessed with exploiting the capibility of 64-bit computers. if these computers will not be as fast, then i will buy the last release of the powermac (the fastest of whatever is released) before they switch to intel.
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 06:37 AM

Ask Steve Jobs.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bradleykavin
i am curious...which processors will be used in the new macs? does anyone know?
No-one except Apple and Intel know. For all we know, the chip doesn't even exist yet as it will most likely be one of Intel's future chips.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 08:11 AM

As for speeds, alot of the developers that have the early intel macs say that they are really fast, even at this early stage of the game....

And not much has really been done in the way of either hardware OR software optimizations yet.....so at the very least I would tend to think if nothing else, macintels will definitely be screamin by mid '06
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2005, 09:52 AM

I disagree. gcc 4.0 is a highly optimized compiler, so anything that doesn't use handcoded altivec will be very much optimized already. Especially considering OS X's platform-independence (which I assume will be maintained).

Check out sites like theregister.co.uk or theinquirer.net and find out about Intel's roadmaps and you'll see what options Apple has.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2005, 10:47 AM

teh fsat oens

Forum Links
Forum Rules