Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBooks are finally here! (possible pics)

New MacBooks are finally here! (possible pics) (Page 2)
Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Don't assume, check the tech specs pages before spending your money.
I checked before assuming. 2GB of RAM on the way from OWC...

I forgot to grab the DVI adapter but I'm not going to use it that much initially anyway (or at all if the LCD is nice). I'll grab one from CompUSA sometime in the near future.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 09:29 AM

Unfortuneately the one i have priced out is a bit too much, I'll have to suffer until Friday to purchase one. (Payday)
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 09:31 AM

Am I one of the few who actually really LIKE the glossy screens? So I am HAPPY!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 09:33 AM

^ I personally like glossy screens as well.

I'm unsure if the UXGA "TrueLife" screens on the Dell i9300 is "glossy", but that screen is a gem. If the MacBook is anything like that, it's a winner.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

camerachris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 09:34 AM

The keyboard looks kind of odd - you can get a vague idea from a few of the pages, but the "coreduo" page shows the keys at a low angle and they look a little like the chicket keyboards of the ibm pc jr! i'm sure they're much better, but they do look strange to me. too bad there aren't any photos specifically taken to show the new keys...

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 09:35 AM

I'm sorted with RAM: I'll order standard config, take out 1 x 256 from the MB, take out 1 x 512 from my iMac, and swap them, giving my iMac a total of 1.25 GB, and my MB a total of 768 - fine for me, and it doesn't cost me any more money
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 09:35 AM

Here are the high-res photos on the media site. They're zipped so you have to download them.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/mac...acbook_13.html

These are nice for seeing the texture of the plastic case and the shape of the keys. The keyboard is very different.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by camerachris
The keyboard looks kind of odd - you can get a vague idea from a few of the pages, but the "coreduo" page shows the keys at a low angle and they look a little like the chicket keyboards of the ibm pc jr! i'm sure they're much better, but they do look strange to me. too bad there aren't any photos specifically taken to show the new keys...
I agree, they look chicklety. Take a look at the high res photos. I'm going to trust Apple here, they usually have great keyboards so I doubt they'd emulate the feel of the PC Jr keyboard, perhaps just the look.

But note that the new MB is a quarter inch thinner than the iBook. I'm not sure which page this was on but it's on their site somewhere. The keyboard seems to have taken a hit.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 09:38 AM

Any news on sudden motion sensor and running it in lid closed mode? I'm guessing SMS is there, just can't see it detailed anywhere, but dno about lid closed

Edit: Oh, also, what is that thing next to the IR sensor? A indicator light?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

camerachris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
Here are the high-res photos on the media site. They're zipped so you have to download them.

http://www.apple.com/pr/products/mac...acbook_13.html

These are nice for seeing the texture of the plastic case and the shape of the keys. The keyboard is very different.
Nice - thanks for the links!

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 09:40 AM

I'm hoping it's the same scissor-keys with some kind of template around them to keep gunk out from under the keyboard. We'll find out soon.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 09:41 AM

I really like the new MacBook in white. I'll hold judgement on the black until I see it, but I prefer the iPod in white, so.

This update has me wondering if I should sell the 17" Powerbook and get one of these MacBooks and an iMac. Decisions Decisions.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2006, 09:41 AM

In Canadian loonies (education):

The black one being more expensive is lame, but I wanted the white one anyway fortunately.
I would have preferred to get the matte screen, but I'll live with the glossy.

I can't believe this thing has twice the GHz as my G5 iMac.
It's really too bad it didn't get a better GPU to match the excellent CPU.

Strangely enough, buying the Mini-DVI adapters separately costs 30¢ less than adding it on the MacBook order page. And it's kinda stupid you can't get both adapters from the MacBook order page.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
But note that the new MB is a quarter inch thinner than the iBook. I'm not sure which page this was on but it's on their site somewhere. The keyboard seems to have taken a hit.
from here
Perhaps the most profound design element of MacBook is what it lacks: bulk. At 1.08 inches thin — more than a quarter of an inch thinner than the iBook G4

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 09:45 AM

Eug: Your education store is back up and my corporate store, which is the same thing really, isn't. Can you tell me the prices of the 3 models on your store?

EDIT: Never mind, it just refreshed. Time to pull out the VISA. Black or white, white or black....

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
Eug: Your education store is back up and my corporate store, which is the same thing really, isn't. Can you tell me the prices of the 3 models on your store?

EDIT: Never mind, it just refreshed. Time to pull out the VISA. Black or white, white or black....
For individuals it's, $1199 combo, $1349 super, $1549 black super with an extra 20 GB (stupid)

For departmental purchases it may be slightly cheaper.

EDIT:

I see your post edit now. So are the prices are the same? Get the white. The black takes longer to ship and it costs more for no apparent reason. Plus it runs the risk of looking bad with fingerprints, if the iPods are anything to go by.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 09:53 AM

It appears the the power adaptor comes in white only? I'm looking at the accessories page in the store and I don't see a black option for sale. Is this the way iPods are, too?

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
For individuals it's, $1199 combo, $1349 super, $1549 black super with an extra 20 GB (stupid).....I see your post edit now. So are the prices are the same? Get the white. The black takes longer to ship and it costs more. Plus it runs the risk of looking bad with fingerprints, if the iPods are anything to go by.
Yours are slightly cheaper, same as normal, and it looks like they forgot to apply the corporate discount to the base model entirely. They'll probably fix this in a day or two, they usually do. Arg, I was thinking of ordering the base model. Now I might just have to buy the black one! Decisions...

I think the case may be matte not glossy. I've been staring at the high res images and although they don't show much of the top or bottom, you can tell from the side that the sides and bottom are one piece now and the sides look matte.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 09:55 AM

If I recall correctly, the original clamshell iBooks had graphite (grey) as an option at one point and you had to pay extra to get it. There was also a minor bump in specs, but it was obvious that you were paying mostly for the color. So this isn't exactly a new thing for Apple.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
It appears the the power adaptor comes in white only? I'm looking at the accessories page in the store and I don't see a black option for sale. Is this the way iPods are, too?
Apple doesn't make any black accessories for the iPod, so I doubt they will do it for the MacBooks either.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 10:03 AM

Aha! I found text about the funky keyboard.

"MacBook features a unique new keyboard design that sits flush against the bed for a sleeker, lower profile. Plus, you’ll find a firmer touch when typing. That ought to make your fingers happy."

We'll see. I'm used to my TiBook's mushy keyboard...

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 10:05 AM

Besides, a white power adapter wouldn't look that bad with a black MB. I'd prefer it over a black one to prevent too much black from happening.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 10:24 AM

i think the black model must have a 'stealth' mode. it shows up as a palm treo to bluetooth and unwanted wireless scans.....

that or its made of solid oil (that might explain the cost)

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 10:27 AM

Estimated ship date: May 23, 2006

We'll see if they update it.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 10:48 AM

Estimated ship date: May 23, 2006.

I had to play around with the corporate store to get it working. The pricing was messed up, adding options added the wrong amount to the price. I called and they weren't helpful. I managed to config the base model the way I wanted it. Adding RAM applied the corporate discount to the entire computer which was missing if you didn't add RAM. Spooky.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 10:56 AM

Same here. May 18 for DVI and VGA adapters & May 23 for white CTO SuperDrive MacBook.

P.S. The BlacBook is actually 1% cheaper up here in Canada, because of the low US dollar.

fesdds
May 16, 2006, 10:57 AM

I already ordered one & will be adding extra RAM. Question? Does the RAM sticks have to match or can I put in unmatching pairs (ex: 256 & 512),

thanks

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by fesdds
I already ordered one & will be adding extra RAM. Question? Does the RAM sticks have to match or can I put in unmatching pairs (ex: 256 & 512),

thanks
If it's like the MBP the RAM doesn't have to match but you get a reported 2-3% speed boost if they do match.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:16 AM

mduell reckons that the RAM does not need to be paired even to get the speed boost (see his sig)

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
mduell reckons that the RAM does not need to be paired even to get the speed boost (see his sig)
Oh...nifty. I remember reading his 'sig, too.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 11:32 AM

Does anybody know by chance if they have these at the Valley Fair Apple Store yet?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 11:42 AM

Do educational discounts work in retail Apple Stores? If so how?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 11:45 AM

I'm not surprised at the RAM prices for the 2 GB. Good quality name brand PC2-5300 667 MHz 1 GB SODIMMs are hard to find. Crucial doesn't even sell them.

There are some 3rd tier brands available for cheap, but the RAM from some of those 3rd tier brands sucks. When I get 3rd tier brands, I usually try to overspec the RAM. However, with the MacBook you can't do that, since it already uses the fastest 1 GB sticks that are available from most places.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Does anybody know by chance if they have these at the Valley Fair Apple Store yet?
I'm guessing it will be different for US stores than the UK stores, as they don't need to be shipped as far from HQ or whatever, but the Bluewater store over here in the UK said they have no idea when they will be getting them in, and said try calling later in the week

fesdds
May 16, 2006, 11:48 AM

Northpark Store in Dallas said the Macbooks are in transit.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 11:51 AM

I'm leaning towards thinking Apple made the MacBooks too good. I was this close to ordering a pro - now I'm hesitant...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 11:57 AM

^ You'd be interested in this:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05...book/index.php

The release of the MacBook shows a slightly different portable strategy for Apple. The PowerBook and iBook products had very clear and distinct lines that separated the notebooks in features and size. The new MacBook and MacBook Pros share many more features and feel like one product line.

“Nobody should feel like they have to step down when you buy a MacBook,” said Schiller. “You don’t trade-off much in features between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.
It is definitely a different strategy, but the reasoning is probably entirely linked to the vanishing of the 12" PowerBook. Apple couldn't just *not have* an ultra-portable machine that could do power-apps. or they'd fall behind Dell/Sony/etc. It's basically just one lineup now, but they also couldn't appear to NOT appeal to "normal consumers", so they couldn't just offer a "Pro-line". Their solution works pretty well, I think.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 11:58 AM

because of the annoying setup with the RAM, i'm leaning towards getting 1gb from apple rather than 512 mb from apple + 1 gb from Crucial, since:

option A: 512 mb upgrade: 1 gb from apple: $90 extra. (edu)

option B: 768 mb upgrade: 512 mb from apple + 1gb from Crucial: $170 extra. (on sale) + stress of installation + doubts about whose fault it is that my *@$! machine doesn't work + 256 mb of wall art

that's $80 and lots of stress for 256 mb of extra space
i don't need it!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 11:59 AM

^ Good deal...in that case, buying the upgrade from Apple works out better. Going from 1GB total to 2GB total would probably prove otherwise, though
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 12:02 PM

Ye, it works well. I think everyone here would have been happy with the MB specs if it were in a 13.3" MBPro. I do think that people will have to seriously think about buying a MBP now these new machines are out - there really is little difference between the 2. Not that I am complaining

Also, I know the Intel Mac Mini's will not run FCS, and I don't know if this is due to graphics or what, but I am wondering if the MB will be the same. I wonder partly on a personal level, as I use Final Cut at school and it would be cool to be able to use it on the road, but partly because if this is the case, and the MBs can't run FCS, that will be quite a big deal breaker for many semi-pro's who were considering the MBs instead of MBPs

turnedge762
May 16, 2006, 12:05 PM

I think I read on one of the MacBook pages that it has the sudden motion sensor.

Also, notice that in the education store the iBook is still available, but not in the regular store.

P.S. - I love the glossy screens, like on the Sony VAIOs as well.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 12:06 PM

I gotta say, i'm quite excited about this upgrade and with grad school starting this summer I'll be looking to purchase a laptop (finally) to replace my dying iMac, though it's been a great machine for so long. My only gripe is the lack of a left and right click on the mouse. If might mouse ships with all new computers the portable line should offer the same features. I'd rather not travel with a kensington laptop mouse all the time.

Just my thoughts - overall though, great upgrade apple!

then again - maybe waiting til MacBook 2.0 comes out isn't such a bad idea
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

alon99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 12:08 PM

Time to void my warranty...

What about buying and adding a 7200 RPM hard drive? Is that crazy? Here's my thinking:

On the Canadian educational site, it costs $558 to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, and $167
to upgrade to the 100GB HD.
$725 = Upgrades from Apple

From another vendor, you can buy a 100GB 7200 RPM notebook HD for $241,
and 2GB of RAM for $300.

$541 = Upgrades from outside source. Plus, it's a 7200 HD. Plus, I think you
could seell the 60GB drive and the 2x256 DIMMS on eBay for at least $100.

Therefore, $441 in upgrades = Macbook with 2GB, 100GB 7200.

Problem 1: Adding the new HD most likely voids the warranty (though there might be an authorized Apple dealer that would do it for you.)

So... The final price using educational pricing.
$1349 + $441 = $1790.

$2058.50 after taxes, and it's pretty much identical to the MBP except for the video memory.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey
I gotta say, i'm quite excited about this upgrade and with grad school starting this summer I'll be looking to purchase a laptop (finally) to replace my dying iMac, though it's been a great machine for so long. My only gripe is the lack of a left and right click on the mouse. If might mouse ships with all new computers the portable line should offer the same features. I'd rather not travel with a kensington laptop mouse all the time.

Just my thoughts - overall though, great upgrade apple!

then again - maybe waiting til MacBook 2.0 comes out isn't such a bad idea
If the MB is anything like the 17" MBP (which i think it is in this respect), then the trackpad will have the built in software features that lets you put 2 fingers on the trackpad to right click - much better than 2 sperarate buttons IMO, as I have been using something very similar (via iScroll2) on my iBook for a while, and found it great

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 12:10 PM

reg: sudden motion sensor:
it's in the press release.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/may/16macbook.html
it's a good read -- includes all the pertinent info, combined in one place, sans all the cutesy descriptions, pictures, and Quicktime.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 12:11 PM

there's a lot more differences than the memory when it comes to comparing the graphics chips between the mb and mbp

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
because of the annoying setup with the RAM, i'm leaning towards getting 1gb from apple rather than 512 mb from apple + 1 gb from Crucial, since:

option A: 512 mb upgrade: 1 gb from apple: $90 extra. (edu)

option B: 768 mb upgrade: 512 mb from apple + 1gb from Crucial: $170 extra. (on sale) + stress of installation + doubts about whose fault it is that my *@$! machine doesn't work + 256 mb of wall art

that's $80 and lots of stress for 256 mb of extra space
i don't need it!
Be sure to get two identical (=same size) modules for the MacBook or Mac mini. You'll lose A LOT of speed (> 25%) if you put in different modules. That's because the graphics card uses the same memory and without dual channel mode, there's not enough bandwidth available. This is not a problem with the other Macs, because they use dedicated video memory.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 12:13 PM

btw, i'm definitely on this -- maybe unless Thursday finds us a new fantastic tablet/mininotebook.

but even so, i might stick with this, since it'll be my only computer.

by the way:
that black pricing thing is hilarious.
if i ever see someone with a black macbook, i'll know i've found a good customer for the bridge I'm selling
y

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B.
Be sure to get two identical (=same size) modules for the MacBook or Mac mini. You'll lose A LOT of speed (> 25%) if you put in different modules. That's because the graphics card uses the same memory and without dual channel mode, there's not enough bandwidth available. This is not a problem with the other Macs, because they use dedicated video memory.
Read my above post, which read:

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 12:23 PM

I'll post my impressions, thoughts and reflection of this update at a later time today.

Overall this is an awesome update! Apple gave us everything we had hoped for and more!

There aren't really any surprises besides maybe faster CPU's than some of us had expected. I was one of the few members here that expected an ALL core Duo MacBook lineup, and Apple even exceeded my own expectations by starting their lineup at 1.8Ghz.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules