Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any 10.3.3 seeded to developers?

Any 10.3.3 seeded to developers?
jgcan
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 04:43 AM

The title says it all....

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 10:15 AM

Not to select members. Don't know about others.

jgcan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Not to select members. Don't know about others.
Thanks SMacTech!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 12:14 PM

I've heard no talk of anything related to 10.3.3....you know, besides the fact that EVERYBODY wants an update...

SoClose
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 01:14 PM

Why does everyone want an update? I've actually been happy that the update stream has calmed down a bit. What we really need from Apple is a public schedule of updates. Since Apple has recently stepped its interest in the enterprise IT market, they have to start publishing schedules so IT departments can get a clear view on when they'll be updating and how that will affect schedules and resourcing. Microsoft actually does a very good job of this, except they almost always blow the release date. But at least they publish something.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 01:29 PM

I know for sure that 10.3.3 is out there, but that's all I'm sayin'.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I know for sure that 10.3.3 is out there, but that's all I'm sayin'.
Liar!

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by SoClose:
Why does everyone want an update?
Because networking in Panther is ****ed up. It's UNUSEABLE.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Works fine for me and everybody else I know.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 04:53 PM

unsuable is not the adjective i would use to describe panther. i think it is amazing. and i have been using it each and every day that i have had it installed, and it is very useable.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Didn't you read the sticky thread "Weird Panther Networking" above?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2004, 05:01 PM

As a developer I've learned that there are users who find one little irritation a major block to them.

I have one user who told me that an extra tap on a button in a window he goes to once a way made our entire app (a PIM) completely unusable to him.

I hate to see him go to the toilet when the seat cover is down.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 05:54 PM

To bad that's also the way many web site administrators feel about us Mac users when they get a complain mail every two months about something that doesn't work, and never gets fixed.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

ambush
Banned
Jan 17, 2004, 06:06 PM

lol

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 06:59 PM

So, you don't use your Mac, and you don't know anyone

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 07:12 PM

I feel sorry for whatever is wrong, but it is not as you say.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 08:25 PM

Right, it's UNUSEABLE [sic].

Because around 4,000 people at Apple must not be getting any work done on it, then?

I know about 30 people using Panther, none has had a problem with networking that I know of. So the problem obviously isn't that widespread.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
Right, it's UNUSEABLE [sic].

Because around 4,000 people at Apple must not be getting any work done on it, then?

I know about 30 people using Panther, none has had a problem with networking that I know of. So the problem obviously isn't that widespread.
I'm curious. How many of these 30 people you know have tried to mount a network drive (from another PC) with the Finder? I bet this number is close to 0. How many of them have the network browsing 'feature' of the Finder working? I bet this number is close to 0 too.
( Last edited by pat++; Jan 17, 2004 at 09:11 PM. )

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2004, 11:56 PM

I'm curious. How many of these 30 people you know have tried to mount a network drive (from another PC) with the Finder? I bet this number is close to 0. How many of them have the network browsing 'feature' of the Finder working? I bet this number is close to 0 too.
It's working fine at our K-12 school; we can mount PC volumes just fine, and we can mount Mac volumes from the PC just fine, too.

All running 10.3.2. Don't know what you're doing wrong, but it ain't Apple's fault.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Don't know what you're doing wrong
Nothing.

but it ain't Apple's fault.
It IS Apple's fault.

In case you have been leaving in a cave for the past 2 months, read this.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 05:01 AM

I'm mount SMB shares all the time at work via "Connect to server" or as Login Items. Network Browsing seems to be somewhat unreliable, that's true. But I wouldn't call networking "unusable".
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Didn't you read the sticky thread "Weird Panther Networking" above?
No, I didn't.

Edit: I just did, and it looks like it's about browsing network shares in Panther. I freely admit that that is a bit squiffy, but I have no problems with Panther's networking as a whole, and neither do the rest of us (we're all using it to browse the forums, after all). So no, Panther's networking isn't unusable. It works fine for me and for everybody else I know. There are some bugs in the Finder, but that's not the same thing at all.
( Last edited by Angus_D; Jan 18, 2004 at 08:41 AM. )

yukon
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 08:21 PM

I had problems with 10.3.2 myself, specifically the finder hanging on startup.

Just do what I did, install an old copy of an OSS library, and have everything die because of some unrecognized library version, and reformat. Just don't update. Worked great for me thanks to my partitioning scheme, and I'm in one of the most stable MacOS versions I've ever had (10.3.0). Just make sure you have a firewall and do the DNS-exploit-fix trick in Directory Access....
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

osxisfun
Jan 18, 2004, 11:40 PM

Because networking in Panther is ****ed up. It's UNUSEABLE

give me a break.

It might not be usable to YOU but i've been using SMB and sharing with NO problems.

Oh look, that car has a flat, ALL cars are unusable.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 08:02 AM

Just PLEASE fix the slow boot time and the annoying Powerbook fan settings!!

10.3.0 WAS incredible as yukon just said. It was so fast, stable and everything. Now this PB fan issue is driving me mad and I have no way to downgrade without wiping the hard drive clean!!

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
Because networking in Panther is ****ed up. It's UNUSEABLE

give me a break.

It might not be usable to YOU but i've been using SMB and sharing with NO problems.

Oh look, that car has a flat, ALL cars are unusable.
Then hopefully some of those people for whom Windows networking works can explain how to make it work.

I am lost here - first time in a work place dominated by PCs. IT people are not very helpful saying things like "Why do you want to move files between your Mac and PC. You cannot open Mac files on a PC".

Browsing Windows (all - XP) shares does not work.

When I try to connect typing smb://IPaddress
and then my Windows network and password I get a message that "the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (Error code -50).

However, I can connect from any PC to my PowerBook without any problem.

Thanks.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
Then hopefully some of those people for whom Windows networking works can explain how to make it work.
Thanks.
I didn't have to make it work, it just does, always has. What do you have turned on in Directory access?
I use smb://myname@theipaddress without any problems whatsoever, as do the other 10 or so Macs running Panther. We connect to a Windows 2k server via AFP/IP and Linux RedHat samba servers of which I am the sys admin.
Do you have the Internet Firewall turned on in your XP box?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 12:48 PM

I mount SMB shares and AFP shares EVERY day, via command-K. Works fine with me.

Network browsing -- right now that's a bit lame (due to timeouts and navigating and lack of feedback). But if the fact that Network Browsing is a bit goofy means that NETWORKING IS BROKEN, IT'S UNUSABLE, then the fact that a lady in NYC has a cold must mean that everyone in the world will be dying of the plague in 2 weeks. WTF?

I think we need to sell you a "Jump to Conclusions" mat, you need some clarity.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2004, 01:07 PM

Let's see....I use my networking to share a cable modem with Mac, Windows and irix clients. No problems. I browse shares, mount FTP sites and webdav with no problems. What network problems?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 01:19 PM

I haven't got a problem with mounting shares using command+K on smb, afp or nfs.

The finder browsing features works just about, but is extremely unreliable and prone to getting itself confused.

So far I haven't seen any problem which is specific to mounting smb shares though.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 02:41 PM

So, you don't use your Mac, and you don't know anyone
LOL

Keda
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 03:26 PM

I didn't get 10.3 until Christmas, so I've never used anything but 10.3.2. My experience has been pretty good w/Jag. I connect to SMB & AFP shares at work. Now, I can see servers on the network that I could never access under 10.2.

I have seen only 1 strange behavior. Some times my shares will all disappear from the Network Icon. Then they will comeback a few seconds later. Its like it looses them for a second. That being said, I have yet to connect to the network using cmd-K under 10.3. And I haven't had any loss of connection once I am connected.

I would like Apple to release a networking patch. If nothing else, this behavior is strange.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 06:08 PM

I regularly connect to shares on Windows PCs from Panther. I guess the problem has to do wtih certain kinds of authentication on Windows servers - and the boxes I connect to don't have that kind of authentication, evidently.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
Just PLEASE fix the slow boot time...
This seems to work fairly well

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 10:54 PM

Dan:
Note that there are now some reports of PROBLEMS with that fix (at bottom of the thread to which you've linked).
[Couple little problems like that have kept me at 10.3.1 --- and enjoying its stability & features]
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I didn't have to make it work, it just does, always has. What do you have turned on in Directory access?
I use smb://myname@theipaddress without any problems whatsoever
After fiddling around on a PC box I tried this - and finally it worked.

The problem - as it appears - was that none of the folders were set up to be shared (with full access) for my user name. Still sharing should have worked before since all folders had read-only permissions set for everyone.

I wonder what IT people were thinking about after I complained to them about networking problems.

By the way, AppleCare support was equally not helpful. They suggested me to reset a PRAM.

Thanks.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
This seems to work fairly well
Does it?

TigerKR on Thu, Jan 15 '04 at 09:19PM
I had a conversation about the BootCacheControl situation:

iBuddy wrote:

"You haven't been using the BootCacheControl hack that I propagated? I traced some trouble to it, my cache apparently got out of sync after switching around the boot volume a few time, I've retracted my advice to use this hack."

I wrote:

"Try using a symlink. I've had no problems doing that.

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

"

iBuddy wrote:

"I _was_ using a symlink. I had no problems for a while, either. The first sign of trouble was returning to my home system after testing an external firewire boot off my emergency/backup drive. Things got progressively worse to the point where I couldn't boot at all. Deleting the symlink solved all my problems, I've had none since.

I'm guessing Apple knew there was trouble, that's why they took it out. They're not stupid; I'm always concerned about the implied arrogance in making any hack like this."

I wrote:

"Hmm.. thanks for the warning. I only reboot like once or twice a week, and since I have 10K SCSI drives (which I keep optimized with Norton Speed Disk), booting up is pretty fast anyway. So I guess I'll also delete that symlink."

Kate
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Does it?
Interesting. I did put in the sym link too and had no troubles so far, despite booting many times off of my external FireWire disk and my internal HD and vice versa.

Actually, if the caches got really out of synch it may not be solely attributed to the existence of that sym link. There are also other possible sources of cache faults.

And no, Apple is not always aware of/cares about lost links and sym links for that matter. There are/were many software packages in X that failed due to mispointing or missing links. Some Apache files come into mind, sendmail links etc.

So putting back that link seems neither a sign of arrogance on the users part, nor a sign of purposely breaking a function for safety reasons on Apples part. It may be simply a very small bug like many others.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Does it?
No problems here...just faster boot times

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 05:25 PM

As I sit here running 10.3.2 I look at my desktop and see:

UPGRADES
8500 FILE SERVER

network volumes on my 8500 server running quietly and well. I can eject [unmount] them at will. - what in heaven's name are you talking about.

neoTony
Jan 20, 2004, 07:51 PM

Works fine here on campus at my Uni. I can browse the windows domains and machines (the ones that allow smb browsing). At home is the same - the Network vfs works fine for me (it gave me trouble in 10.3.0 though) now.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
No problems here...just faster boot times
I haven't had to reboot my work machine since the day 10.3.2 was released....

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

i_wolf
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 12:01 PM

so getting back on topic ...nobody seams to know anyone with Select or Premiere ADC that may have gotten a x.3.3 seeding???

OpenStep
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 12:51 PM

no

Originally posted by i_wolf:
so getting back on topic ...nobody seams to know anyone with Select or Premiere ADC that may have gotten a x.3.3 seeding???

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I haven't had to reboot my work machine since the day 10.3.2 was released....
I know...so why are there so many people crying about boot times

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 03:19 PM

I do this all the time. From the Mac, I use the following AppleScript (for ease of use):
tell application "Finder"
mount volume "cifs://USER@SMB_MACHINE_NAME/SHARE_NAME"
end tell
Of course, replace USER with your PC login name, SMB_MACHINE_NAME with your Windows Networking (SMB) computer name, and SHARE_NAME with the name of the shared directory (or a default share name, such as C$ for your C drive).

This works perfectly for me every time!

I also access my Mac SMB share from my PC all the time, using its full UNC path as well. No problems EVER, and I do this A LOT!

Forum Links
Forum Rules