Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 17)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Find+replace 'liberal elite' with 'elite on the left' and what you said is still stupid.
Why would anyone with sense do that? They aren't the same thing, as I've already explained. Your reading comprehension skills are as sad as your endless pursuit to demonize me at any opportunity. Get over it.

nor is her behaviour representative of any movement of any political persuasion.
You're either lying or grossly uninformed, she's always been a Democratic hardliner and Leftist shill. Hell, some on CNN were even supporting Kathy's ISIS-style video, until they realized how upset most people were getting over it. Personally I think it's just normal content from the extreme Left, nothing to get worked up over, and she has every right to act out her fantasies as long as she isn't actually hurting someone.

As for Nugent, the 'elite on the right' don't seem to have an issue with him. Best go review your talking points.
Talking points? I already said I'm repulsed by Nugent's statements about Obama. Are you suffering from more reading comprehension issues? Is your filter dirty? As for ol' Ted getting a photo made with Trump, want to see all the pics I can dig up of thugs and shitbags who have had their photos taken with the Clintons and Obama? (I would but then I'd be given an infraction for photobombing.) Politicians can't be held accountable for whom they have pics taken with, because they're public servants and work for everyone in America, not just the people you might find agreeable.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 04:08 PM

Griffin is definitely political. I'd rate her somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8 Sarah Silvermans.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 31, 2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Griffin is definitely political. I'd rate her somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8 Sarah Silvermans.
OK.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 06:30 PM

She should tour with Milo!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2017, 08:09 PM

He does deserve that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 09:38 PM

Honestly, I think him and Kathy would get along. At least in private.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2017, 11:18 PM

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2017, 05:04 AM

@subego
You should stick to posting jokes, it gets really tiring if you mix facts with fiction.

But on topic: WTF?!?!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2017, 06:06 AM

Honestly, I think him and Kathy would get along. At least in private.
As long as they don't breed.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2017, 10:15 AM

Tillerson doesn't like the press. It is known.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 10:18 AM

There are always other people who work at State.

Oh, wait...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2017, 10:34 AM

A profile of his CoS was on twitter yesterday. In case you'd like to be more pessimistic

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 11:03 AM

Navy people always make me think "spy".

andi*pandi
Jun 1, 2017, 11:27 AM

Kathy Griffin is a shock jock. She trades on being crude and D list. In no way does she represent all of the left.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 11:32 AM

I doubt there's any one person who can represent all the left.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2017, 12:23 PM

I doubt there's any one person who can represent all the left.
Not even Satan?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not even Satan?
"Wealth and taste" gets the whole spectrum.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2017, 02:02 PM

Tune in for season finale of the Paris Climate Change agreement to see if Trump gives it the rose

Ham Sandwich
Jun 1, 2017, 03:50 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:39 AM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2017, 03:50 PM

Tune in for season finale of the Paris Climate Change agreement to see if Trump gives it the rose
Well that went startlingly well.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2017, 06:06 PM

Not even Satan?
Satan is a Libertarian, he's too cool to be in one of the major parties.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Oh, FML...

So we're no longer a green nation who cares about efficiency, environment, and the very nature from which we came?

In response, many USA residents nationwide recently contributed to global warming by getting pissed off
**** that, Americans are sick of playing by heavily flawed rules (carbon credits?) that most other industrial countries scoff at, dragging our economy down. Get China, India, and Russia on board and we'll play ball, our contribution to climate change is nothing compared to theirs. Don't get me wrong, I profited greatly from the renewable energy boom that the feds propped up, but it wasn't anything that we could support indefinitely, given the state of our trade deficit.

While the Greens are at it, they need to talk with volcanos, those spew many orders of magnitude more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere than humans.

P
Jun 1, 2017, 06:52 PM

1) Carbon credits were introduced into climate treaties by the US (in the nineties)
2) Just about the entire world is part of the Paris deal. India and China certainly are, and they're pissed off right now. Russia is technically a part of it, but they're much happier about this deal.
3) Volcanos spew a lot of gunk into the atmosphere, and are actually net cooling the globe because of the ash and sulphuric oxides.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2017, 07:20 PM

1. That doesn't change how stupid the idea was and how ineffectual it's been.
2. The point is they signed then did nothing while countries in the West carried the ball, despite being heavy polluters. (Have you seen any major Chinese city lately?)
3. Long Invisible, Research Shows Volcanic CO2 Levels Are Staggering

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2017, 08:19 PM

@CPT
China aims to spend $360 billion on renewable energy until 2020, they have a vested interest because they are battling pollution to the degree that it has a tangible effect on the economy. That's 2.5x what President Obama proposed in its New Energy for America initiative.

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2017, 08:22 PM

“Paris, you're fired!”

Regarding the announcement itself, a German reporter on the evening news described how bizarre the event was, from President Trump's meandering to the sheer number of invited people whose job it was to clap. I have never heard such a thing on Germany's channel 1 news (the ARD, the equivalent of the BBC), they are usually somber and deliberately “boring” (so as to not make news entertainment).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
1) Carbon credits were introduced into climate treaties by the US (in the nineties)
2) Just about the entire world is part of the Paris deal. India and China certainly are, and they're pissed off right now. Russia is technically a part of it, but they're much happier about this deal.
3) Volcanos spew a lot of gunk into the atmosphere, and are actually net cooling the globe because of the ash and sulphuric oxides.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
2. The point is they signed then did nothing while countries in the West carried the ball, despite being heavy polluters. (Have you seen any major Chinese city lately?)
3. Long Invisible, Research Shows Volcanic CO2 Levels Are Staggering
Krakatoa, Mt Pinatubo, Mt St Helen's. Is there any idea how much Yellowstone pumps into the atmosphere? Watching any of the History/Science channel shows on the "Yellowstone super volcano" will having you prep for doomsday. It will make Krakatoa look like a fire cracker and throw us into the next ice age.

Unless there was changes from what was originally reported on the Paris agreement, many of the CO2 limits did not apply to China or India.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@CPT
China aims to spend $360 billion on renewable energy until 2020, they have a vested interest because they are battling pollution to the degree that it has a tangible effect on the economy. That's 2.5x what President Obama proposed in its New Energy for America initiative.
So? We aim to solve the homeless problem in my state by 2024, but that doesn't mean it'll happen. The Paris accords are 100% non-binding (but the West has been treating them like they are, unlike most other countries in the East). Also, our pollution issues are nothing compared to China's, you can't even breathe in Beijing on some days. For China to make a dent they'd need to devote >10x that amount, every single year. If my yard is 50x more cluttered than my neighbor's, while also being twice the size, but I only devote 2.5x more money than him towards cleaning it up, odds are I'm still not getting my property to his level of cleanliness anytime in the foreseeable future, if ever.

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2017, 05:02 AM

So? We aim to solve the homeless problem in my state by 2024, but that doesn't mean it'll happen. The Paris accords are 100% non-binding (but the West has been treating them like they are, unlike most other countries in the East).
The Trump administration did not decide to leave the treaty, because the treaty didn't go far enough. The head of the EPA isn't even convinced that global climate change is real and man-made. So why are we even discussing this?
Also, our pollution issues are nothing compared to China's, you can't even breathe in Beijing on some days. For China to make a dent they'd need to devote >10x that amount, every single year.
You are conflating two issues, CO2 emissions (where the US is #2 after China) and smog that is typically caused by particulates in the air. The latter is a serious health and environmental issue, but is distinct from global climate change. Replacing coal power plants in China (or anywhere else for that matter) will help reduce both.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:10 AM

More regressive Left-wing BS, this time from the land of chocolate and alpine skiing: http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/31/tech...and/index.html

A court in Switzerland has convicted a man on several counts of defamation after he "liked" libelous comments on the social media platform.

The court in Zurich found that the man indirectly endorsed and further distributed the comments by using the ubiquitous Facebook (FB, Tech30) "like" button.

The man, who was not named in the court's statement, "liked" several posts written by a third party that accused an animal rights activist of antisemitism, racism and fascism.

In court, the man was not able to prove that the claims were accurate or could reasonably be held to be true.

"The defendant clearly endorsed the unseemly content and made it his own," a statement from the court said.
So, let me get this straight, merely "Liking" (clicking the Thumbs Up icon) a non-PC sentiment (he didn't even write the posts) will get you arrested, charged, and fined? There's something very wrong here, this is Orwellian to the extreme. It's the very definition of thought crime and why the SVP has gained so much traction. Well, I can tell you they've latched onto this and are going to ride it for all it's worth.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:29 AM

The Trump administration did not decide to leave the treaty, because the treaty didn't go far enough. The head of the EPA isn't even convinced that global climate change is real and man-made. So why are we even discussing this?
"Didn't go far enough" by not holding China and the East responsible, while the West was accepting it and taking it seriously. The US, Canada, and nearly all other Western countries were breaking their balls, weakening their economies, while the China and the rest were doing comparatively nothing. Why are we discussing this? Seriously?

You are conflating two issues, CO2 emissions (where the US is #2 after China) and smog that is typically caused by particulates in the air. The latter is a serious health and environmental issue, but is distinct from global climate change. Replacing coal power plants in China (or anywhere else for that matter) will help reduce both.
No, the Left is choosing to ignore the tangible effects of pollution WRT to the Far East, while sanctimoniously trying to hold the West's feet to the fire, no matter how much it hurts our economies. CO2 isn't the end-all here, and China isn't going to abandon coal any time soon, they're still producing coal fire plants at a staggering pace. Any gestures they've made towards integrating renewable sources are a pittance compared to what they spend on consuming fossil fuels, nothing but the most basic form of appeasement to keep everyone else off their backs, while piling on the trade surpluses. "The USA is #2" means nothing when #1 is producing nearly as much as the rest of the world combined.

China is the largest producer and consumer of coal in the world and is the largest user of coal-derived electricity, generating an estimated 73% of domestic electricity production in 2014 from coal.[1][2]
In April 2017 coal-powered electricity production hit a new record high.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_in_China

P
Jun 2, 2017, 05:32 AM

So come up with something else. It is certainly not something Europeans are insisting on. We use it now because it was introduced in the Kyoto treaty, but if there is a better way, propose one. I am absolutely no fan.

I am on the Chinese mainland every now and then for work, so yes, I have seen them. Thing is, so have the Chinese - and more and more of the upper classes have also been abroad and seen that that is not the only way to do it. They are working on pollution and seem committed to doing their part. The Paris agreement is structured around voluntary commitments, so if the US wants to say "we'll do exactly what China is doing", that is a possibility

Broken link - but I know that they release CO2, that's not the point. The also release soot, which cools the planet, and a lot of other gasses with varying effect, most of them nasty. It might be interesting to see the figures, if you have a working link.

But here's the kicker: Volcanos have been releasing stuff into the atmosphere for 4.5 billion years by now. They are part of the natural environment. If they and every other natural source release X tons of CO2 every year then over time, an average of X tons of CO2 is fixed. In the era humans live in, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere was about 280ppm before we started burning fossil fuels in large amounts. Now it is higher and recently passed 400 ppm. This is higher than it has ever been as long as humans have existed (and a lot longer than that, in fact) and it is leading to a higher average temperature.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:34 AM

http://www.livescience.com/40451-vol...taggering.html

Mia culpa, the "L" was chopped off the end when I pasted.

P
Jun 2, 2017, 05:35 AM

CO2 isn't the end-all here, and China isn't going to abandon coal any time soon, they're still producing coal fire plants at a staggering pace.
Actually they have more recently stopped and cancelled plants in progress:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/w...pollution.html

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:37 AM

I am on the Chinese mainland every now and then for work, so yes, I have seen them. Thing is, so have the Chinese - and more and more of the upper classes have also been abroad and seen that that is not the only way to do it. They are working on pollution and seem committed to doing their part. The Paris agreement is structured around voluntary commitments, so if the US wants to say "we'll do exactly what China is doing", that is a possibility
They say a lot of crap, but historically they end up doing very little.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:40 AM

Actually they have more recently stopped and cancelled plants in progress:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/w...pollution.html
Again, what they're claiming and what they're doing are very different things, which is China's MO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_in_China
"In April 2017 coal-powered electricity production hit a new record high.[11]"

To the press: "We're committed to doing better."
To their industries: "Keep shoveling more coal, dammit!"

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 05:49 AM

But here's the kicker: Volcanos have been releasing stuff into the atmosphere for 4.5 billion years by now. T
and right now they're spewing an estimated 600B tonnes of greenhouse gasses per year (the most ever, according to estimates), dwarfing man-made production (~200B), while the sun is purportedly hotter than it's ever been before. Man isn't producing all of the problems, perhaps not even most of them, and state-funded scientists claiming Climate Change is entirely our fault is disingenuous, at best.

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2017, 05:58 AM

CO2 isn't the end-all here, and China isn't going to abandon coal any time soon, they're still producing coal fire plants at a staggering pace.
I haven't claimed China is abandoning coal, I wrote that it will invest $$$ billions into renewables over the next few years. China is building all types of power plants to satisfy demand, and it is building out its infrastructure, including coal and renewables.
Any gestures they've made towards integrating renewable sources are a pittance compared to what they spend on consuming fossil fuels, nothing but the most basic form of appeasement to keep everyone else off their backs, while piling on the trade surpluses.
How about backing up those statements with facts? How much does China spend on fossil fuels in that same period? And how does this compare to investments in renewables? If you take those numbers, how do they stack up when compared to the US or Europe?
"The USA is #2" means nothing when #1 is producing nearly as much as the rest of the world combined.
China is producing 29.4 % of total CO2 emissions (compared to 14.3 % for the US), a far cry from “nearly as much as the rest of the world combined. China is the biggest polluter, but on a per capita basis, the US is still doing worse.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2017, 06:22 AM

More regressive Left-wing BS, this time from the land of chocolate and alpine skiing: http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/31/tech...and/index.html

So, let me get this straight, merely "Liking" (clicking the Thumbs Up icon) a non-PC sentiment (he didn't even write the posts) will get you arrested, charged, and fined? There's something very wrong here, this is Orwellian to the extreme. It's the very definition of thought crime and why the SVP has gained so much traction. Well, I can tell you they've latched onto this and are going to ride it for all it's worth.
When you like something on FB, it shows up in some of your friends' news feeds: "Captain Tightpants liked the article, Obama is an alien, lizard dog-rapist". Therefore the act of liking causes redistribution which is basically the same as publishing something. Publish false and defamatory accusations about someone and you have broken a law. Its a devious technicality and I'm sure they will have to put a stop to using it before it gets totally out of control, but it sounds to me like its actually ok under the law.

P
Jun 2, 2017, 06:42 AM

and right now they're spewing an estimated 600B tonnes of greenhouse gasses per year (the most ever, according to estimates), dwarfing man-made production (~200B), while the sun is purportedly hotter than it's ever been before. Man isn't producing all of the problems, perhaps not even most of them, and state-funded scientists claiming Climate Change is entirely our fault is disingenuous, at best.
The article you linked is written a bit clumsily, but if you finish that section, you can see what they mean:

In 1992, it was thought that volcanic degassing released something like 100 million tons of CO2 each year. Around the turn of the millennium, this figure was getting closer to 200. The most recent estimate, released this February, comes from a team led by Mike Burton, of the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology – and it’s just shy of 600 million tons. It caps a staggering trend: A six-fold increase in just two decades.

These inflating figures, I hasten to add, don't mean that our planet is suddenly venting more CO2.

Humanity certainly is; but any changes to the volcanic background level would occur over generations, not years. The rise we’re seeing now, therefore, must have been there all along: As scientific progress is widening our perspective, the daunting outline of how little we really know about volcanoes is beginning to loom large.
Emphasis mine. The amount of CO2 they're currently estimating is higher than the figure they were estimating previously, but that is because their estimation changed, not because there has been any change in how much CO2 they emit.

P
Jun 2, 2017, 06:44 AM

They say a lot of crap, but historically they end up doing very little.
OK, so commit to doing what the Chinese did last year.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 08:09 AM

I haven't claimed China is abandoning coal, I wrote that it will invest $$$ billions into renewables over the next few years. China is building all types of power plants to satisfy demand, and it is building out its infrastructure, including coal and renewables.
You mean they claim they will. So far very few of their claims and forecasts have come to fruition, likely on purpose.

How about backing up those statements with facts? How much does China spend on fossil fuels in that same period? And how does this compare to investments in renewables? If you take those numbers, how do they stack up when compared to the US or Europe?
I did. They burned more coal than ever before in April of 2017, despite forecasts to the contrary. The emperor has no trousers.

China is producing 29.4 % of total CO2 emissions (compared to 14.3 % for the US), a far cry from “nearly as much as the rest of the world combined. China is the biggest polluter, but on a per capita basis, the US is still doing worse.
Given their "per capita" lives in comparative squallor, you expect me to take that seriously? They stack people like livestock and place nets in businesses to keep their citizens from killing themselves en masse. Sounds like a grand existance.

Also, more than double is mighty impressive, and that's only what they admit to releasing, but without basic oversight (which they refuse to allow, unlike almost everyone else) they can say what they want, can't they? They wouldn't lie about that, oh no. So lets tack on another 17% per year in coal alone, and that's a conservative estimate, and my assertion isn't far-fetched at all.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 08:11 AM

OK, so commit to doing what the Chinese did last year.
Based on GDP? Absolutely. Do you mean what they say they did or what they actually did?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
When you like something on FB, it shows up in some of your friends' news feeds: "Captain Tightpants liked the article, Obama is an alien, lizard dog-rapist". Therefore the act of liking causes redistribution which is basically the same as publishing something. Publish false and defamatory accusations about someone and you have broken a law. Its a devious technicality and I'm sure they will have to put a stop to using it before it gets totally out of control, but it sounds to me like its actually ok under the law.
Well, I didn't expect you to care about free expression in the first place, since the UK is leading the way in "wrongthink" prosecution in the West.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I much prefer the American system where defamation requires establishing malicious intent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2017, 08:54 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2017, 11:40 AM

Two times this week nooses have been found on Smithsoniam grounds. **** off, racists

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2017, 02:28 PM

I'm not so sure. I think a dirty trick by some butthurt jerk or left-wing wack-o could also be a possibility.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2017, 04:37 PM

Two times this week nooses have been found on Smithsoniam grounds. **** off, racists
Lately, (much) more often than not, things like that have been carried out by PoC themselves, to get attention and use as leverage. There have been over 100 cases like that, in the last year alone, and since the people who carry out these racial "false flag" operations are never suitably punished when caught, they'll just keep happening.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2017, 08:59 PM

Kathy, Kathy...

I'm trying to help here, and yer kinda making me look like an idiot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules