Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Airport security, cops, etc

Airport security, cops, etc
lexapro
Baninated
Dec 23, 2009, 03:10 PM

I have a question about airport security and cops. The other day I was flying and I noticed that beside the TSA officers, there was a group of local city copy, the county cops, a few state troopers and then a group that had "DHS POLICE" on their shirts. Later in the gate area I saw armed Border and Customers Agents.

None of them seem to be on joint patrol with each other. They all seemed to be independent of each other and doing their own thing.

Why so many? Why not just have the TSA patrol the airport? I don't get it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2009, 03:44 PM

Maybe TSA doesn't have enough resources to cover the spike in security needs for the Christmas holidays.

-t

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 03:54 PM

They must have been having an open house. You normally would not see city, county, and state at the same place unless there was some kind of tragedy. Usually, the sworn peace officers working at an airport either belong to the city police department or the port authority police.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2009, 03:56 PM

Obviously it's a bunch of undercover terrorists.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2009, 08:38 PM

TSA doesn't cover security besides the checkpoints and immigration. Everything else is contracted out.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2009, 09:05 PM

Multiple jurisdictions overlap at a lot of airports. Overlapping jurisdiction does not mean that the different groups of officers patrol together, only that their organizations cooperate and cover the same physical territory.

In Austin, TX, there are Austin PD, Travis Co. Sheriff, Texas State Troopers, Texas Rangers, Border Patrol, DHS, and Federal Police, all with overlapping (though not all the same spaces) jurisdictions. Not to mention an FBI office. It gets pretty interesting when something happens that "interests" different law enforcement organizations.

But imitchellg5 is right about TSA-their whole job is manning the physical security apparatus at the gates. DHS Police are the uniformed officers for enforcement that work with TSA.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Dec 23, 2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Multiple jurisdictions overlap at a lot of airports. Overlapping jurisdiction does not mean that the different groups of officers patrol together, only that their organizations cooperate and cover the same physical territory.

In Austin, TX, there are Austin PD, Travis Co. Sheriff, Texas State Troopers, Texas Rangers, Border Patrol, DHS, and Federal Police, all with overlapping (though not all the same spaces) jurisdictions. Not to mention an FBI office. It gets pretty interesting when something happens that "interests" different law enforcement organizations.

But imitchellg5 is right about TSA-their whole job is manning the physical security apparatus at the gates. DHS Police are the uniformed officers for enforcement that work with TSA.
Off topic: What is the difference between Troopers and Rangers? Aren't they both "State" police like CHP?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 24, 2009, 02:53 AM

State Trooper vs State Ranger vs State Marshall vs State <fill in blank>

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2009, 10:50 AM

The Texas Rangers are a law enforcement agency that is separate from our Department of Public Safety in mission, though they fall under DPS administratively. While State Troopers act as uniformed officers statewide, the Rangers act as investigative officers. Kind of like the difference between uniformed officers and high-level detectives. The two came about from different sources-see Wikipedia-but they cooperate.

NOBODY is like CHP. Even CHP isn't like what most people think of it, given Broderick Crawford and Eric Estrada's attempts to capitalize on the organization...

Marshals are either Federal Marshals with commissions from the federal government, or state/local LEOs. In a lot of places, including Texas, most marshals manage things like courtroom security rather than daily police activities.

Yeah, it gets complicated.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 24, 2009, 07:22 PM

How can I become a Texas Ranger? Or a Federal Marshall?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2009, 07:26 PM

They both have web sites that include links for recruiting. But I do not know if either Texas DPS or Rangers still have their minimum height requirements-they seem to all be 6'4" tall...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2009, 08:15 PM

TSA Agents, despite their shiny badges, aren't cops. They can't arrest you, they don't carry weapons, etc. DHS Police are actual cops with real power.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 25, 2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
TSA Agents, despite their shiny badges, aren't cops. They can't arrest you, they don't carry weapons, etc. DHS Police are actual cops with real power.
Don't their badges say "officer"? why don't they have guns?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Don't their badges say "officer"? why don't they have guns?
They are the mall cops of the airports.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 25, 2009, 12:57 AM

I have a question about airport security and cops. The other day I was flying and I noticed that beside the TSA officers, there was a group of local city copy, the county cops, a few state troopers and then a group that had "DHS POLICE" on their shirts. Later in the gate area I saw armed Border and Customers Agents.
This sounds like a setup to a pretty good joke.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 25, 2009, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Do they have the power to arrest people? What is their mandate? Under what law do they operate? What law gives them the right to search my bags and look up my skirt?

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2009, 07:40 PM

What is their mandate?
To protect the economic interests of the airline industry by means of security theatre designed to make the public feel safe enough so that they will purchase airline tickets.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
To protect the economic interests of the airline industry by means of security theatre designed to make the public feel safe enough so that they will purchase airline tickets.
Really? How did you arrive at this? I'm sorry, but that is not the way that it works. Do you seriously believe that the security measures currently in place HELP the airline industry out economically? Because you are COMPLETELY wrong and off-base. Since September 2001, the airline industry has constantly been degraded due partly to security; more security measures complicate this immensely, almost as much as high fuel prices. I really REALLY hope you were being sarcastic.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2009, 02:13 AM

It's a vast, right-wing conspiracy and they are taking away your rights and freedoms. That's why they're there.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2009, 02:55 AM

I believe it is security theatre, but I also know there are enough people out there that feel safer because they have to take their shoes off.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2009, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
but I also know there are enough people out there that feel safer because they have to take their shoes off.

-t

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2009, 06:02 PM

It's about to get a lot worse, thanks to that dude who tried to blow up a plane going to Detroit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2009, 06:19 PM

I know, it's depressing to go to Detroit, but damn...

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2009, 10:51 PM

Only in...Oh wait, he boarded/changed planes in Amsterdam... Hmmmm...

Anyway, I generally like going to DTW, though I seldom actually go to Detroit. I grew up Downriver and still have family there.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2009, 01:28 AM

Amsterdam's immigration control is a joke.

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
The really are the mall cops of the airports. Until the creation of Thousands Standing Around and the Department of Fatherland Insecurity they were minimum wage workers. Once they were hired by TSA (TSA just took these minimum workers and bought out the contracts from the private companies) they went from minimum wage to 13 to 16 dollars per hour.

lexapro  (op)
Baninated
Dec 30, 2009, 03:31 AM

16/hr for standing around doing nothing? sign me up!

what is the upward mobility in the TSA? do people make a career out of it?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2009, 08:44 AM

I would hardly call what TSA gate people do "doing nothing." They do some serious crowd control, they have a number of (obviously extremely bizarre and inscrutable) protocols to implement, such as selecting individuals for more advanced screening (TSA rules, not the agents, decide that it's the granny ahead of you, or the Sikh guy behind you that get the extra attention), and so on. Plus, if there actually IS a whacko in the line, they're the first responders-and targets. Not worth $16/hr to me! I'd rather be an armed security guard and be able to shoot back, thanks so much.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2009, 10:34 AM

They should at least get to carry tazers.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2010, 02:41 PM

what is the upward mobility in the TSA? do people make a career out of it?
I don't think anyone makes a long term career out of it. A friend of mine from college started working at LAX around 2005, I think, and transitioned not long after that to a position at ICE.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

finboy
Jan 1, 2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think anyone makes a long term career out of it.
Oh but they do. That's the trouble. It's gone from being retired LEOs and ex-military to being a bunch of "professional" transportation cops -- they've got specialized training, and certifications, and special degrees (even MASTERS degrees) and continuing professional ed, all of it these days. And they can hire whoever they want to, and define competence however they want to, because the ex-cops and retirees have been disgusted out of it.

SCARY, because there's NOTHING THERE. It's not a profession, with it's own knowledge-base other than what LEOs already study, or not much of one at least. This is a pseudoprofessionalization like the Federal & state "corrections officers" went through back in the 70s. Has efficacy changed with all of this? Nope, that's how we know it's bogus.

The "mall cop" or "rentacop" analogy isn't lost here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 1, 2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They should at least get to carry tazers.
Giving tasers to bored people with too much power? YouTube wishes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 1, 2010, 10:52 PM

Mouseover text:
A laptop battery contains roughly the stored energy of a hand grenade, and if I shorted it ... hey! You can't arrest me if I prove your rules inconsistent.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2010, 11:25 AM

My wife works at the airport, so pretty much the airport is run by the city. The city delegates their local police officers/county sheriffs and city public safety officers (non Cops) to secure the entire area/vicinity. The TSA, Border/custom patrol is under DHS (federal), they usually work everything related with the passengers/visitors of the airport.
( Last edited by maxx9photo; Jan 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
TSA doesn't cover security besides the checkpoints and immigration. Everything else is contracted out.
TSA needs to contract out intelligence and competence, that's for sure. Cuz they gots neither.

andi*pandi
Jan 7, 2010, 03:03 PM

The bees are terrorists:

Honey leaves travelers stuck at airport for hours - CNN.com

Note that this was in checked baggage not a carryon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules