Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yesterday's Security Update 2005-003 PROBLEMS

Yesterday's Security Update 2005-003 PROBLEMS
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 11:30 AM

Ok. Yesterday, at work, we installed this update on three Macs. After restarting, 2 of the 3 Macs had severe problems at startup that fail to resolve. It immediately beachballs at login to that user (of which the security update was installed). Finder, Photoshop, Quark (not out of the ordinary), and any other programs all "are not responding" from the dock's submenu and have to be force quit. However, going into another user, things appear to work fine... but we do not want to have to do this because all the fonts (checked install for all users, but that never works anyway in Font Book) wont carry over, not to mention having to reset all preferences. Any suggestions? Any way to roll back?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 11:32 AM

not much of a MAC GOD now, are you!? (sorry, had to be done)

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
Any suggestions? Any way to roll back?
how about reapplying the last combo updater, or something like that? worth a try, i guess.

i'm surprised this is the only thread about this security update. usually there's a post within 0.2 seconds of it appearing in SU.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 11:38 AM

Actually it's redownloading now... I'll write here if something happens.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 12:06 PM

Ok... reinstalled the secupd. Still getting the same problems... BUT, the main conflict seems to be with Safari (application not responding) and any network access. Our network drive is called "data" and it's set to automatically mount at startup. It pops up a finder window and shows its' connected, but the contents of said window never update... it's a blank window... then the pointer beachballs... those other apps seem to be ok... but Safari and the Finder aren't.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2005, 12:31 PM

Someone on MacUpdate suggested deleting Safari's cache. Haven't tried it myself--no problems here, but I use Firefox.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 12:35 PM

Ok... reinstalled the secupd. Still getting the same problems... BUT, the main conflict seems to be with Safari (application not responding) and any network access. Our network drive is called "data" and it's set to automatically mount at startup. It pops up a finder window and shows its' connected, but the contents of said window never update... it's a blank window... then the pointer beachballs... those other apps seem to be ok... but Safari and the Finder aren't.
Try deleting the Finder Preferences files and the Safari preferences files and the Safari cache.

The fact that other users are fine would seem to point to a corrupted preference file, and not the security update itself.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Try deleting the Finder Preferences files and the Safari preferences files and the Safari cache.

The fact that other users are fine would seem to point to a corrupted preference file, and not the security update itself.
I tried Xupport clearing the caches, and running all the cron scripts... I used Disk Utility... Then, as a last resort, tried exactly what you said... sure enough, it worked fine. We are back to our normal selves... Thanks guys for the help.

ripley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 12:31 AM

i too was battling this problem after the security update.
Person Man was right on the money.

Only one user was having problems on my machine (me) so troubleshooting the
pref files was the trick.

I first deleted the finder pref files - no change
But deleting the Safari Pref file and cache solved the problem immediately

thank you all. much appreciated
ripley

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 03:17 AM

I ended up having to trash webkit, safari and it's caches before I could get anywhere.

not sure if it's related but ended up with a bunch of duplicate fonts as well (but that may be just something I'd not noticed over time)

think I'll wait for 10.3.9 (and give that a week to see what that breaks) before I install anything else !

ripley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 08:43 AM

after two hours of trouble free use (thank you all)..
i decided to slowly get my system back to normal. ie adding clear dock, safari bookmarks etc etc. and the same trouble appeared !!

so i decided to backtrack and right now my system is really interesting.
If i open font book and keep it open all other apps open immediately

however if i dont have font book open all the original problems appear. Many apps refusing to open.

i tried trashing the font book preference file but this didnt work.

I now have an interesting work around.
Having font book open in my start up items. grrr

any suggestions much appreciated
ripley

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 10:25 AM

So far I've never had any problems following software updates... but the best thing is to make sure you repair permissions both before and after. Seems to at least prevented problems for me.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2005, 11:28 AM

Ok... this morning I come into work and MY Mac, in particular, starts exhibiting said problems of yesterday. So I do the same thing to fix it and behold, here I am... Now the weird thing is that it only affected my machine and not the other Mac that was having problems yesterday as well. Why? I really don't want to have to do this every morning.

Dr Intrepid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 10:13 PM

Ok... this morning I come into work and MY Mac, in particular, starts exhibiting said problems of yesterday. So I do the same thing to fix it and behold, here I am... Now the weird thing is that it only affected my machine and not the other Mac that was having problems yesterday as well. Why? I really don't want to have to do this every morning.
I suspect it's because you are not holding your mouth right. Either that or your mojo is all screwed up. At any rate, it's still your fault.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Dr Intrepid:
I suspect it's because you are not holding your mouth right. Either that or your mojo is all screwed up. At any rate, it's still your fault.
You're probably right... I came in this morning and the same thing happened... Rinse, lather, repeat... I found that shutting down the computer and starting up is when it actually has the Findari issue... After deleting that stuff, if I restart, no problem... but shutting down and rebooting is like I never did anything... what is going on.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 01:48 PM

NEW PROBLEM...

Ever since this update, you can obviously see I've had a lot of issues.. Well, just working a couple minutes ago, I started getting weird rendering issues, font's missing out of the menus, system prefs stopped opening... etc... The rendering issues were like large white boxes behind any onscreen element... scrubbing the dock would leave the names of the aliases onscreen. In all honesty, it's acting like it's infected with a virus... which, unless I missed something (and I'd usually know about it immediatetly) isn't yet even possible due to NO viruses... SO, I dinked around with it... Deleted uneccessary files and it's back up... but damn... what is GOING ON.

rrrrrrrrrrrRRRR

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 02:46 PM

My iPod has had problems unmounting. It would have the "Do not Disconnect" message even though it wasn't connected in iTunes, the desktop, or Disk Utility. Unplugging it gives that nasty message warning about removing things improperly.

This has happened with both my shuffle and my 3G iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules