Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Does OSX 10.2.5 slow 9.22 ethernet?

Does OSX 10.2.5 slow 9.22 ethernet?
spiznet
May 7, 2003, 11:14 AM

After installing the 10.2.5 upgrade to my dual boot workstation, I got the following problem: 10.2.5 works fine and connects fine to the office 100bt ethernet...

But when I boot up in 9.22, my ethernet speeds are crippled (approx. 1 MB per minute, as opposed to several MB per second 100BT!!!).

I realized 10.2.5 could have done something to my 9.22 system folder (while "updating" its "Classic" mode), so I installed a clean version of 9.22 on another attached drive. But, booting into that one had same problem.

I am stumped! This was not happening with v 10.2.4. Is 10.2.5 somehow less compatible with booting to 9? I know it runs on the new OSX only systems, perhaps its changing ROM or I/o port settings? Is anything like this possible?

Quicksilver Dual 1Gig, 1.5GB memory

Mark Scott
J/B Woolsey Associates

spiznet  (op)
May 7, 2003, 03:12 PM

Problem went away after installing 10.2.6 update!
Hooray!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 9, 2003, 11:39 AM

That's really strange. Other than adding a few files to the OS 9 system folder, I had no idea OS X could affect (or effect?) OS 9.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
That's really strange. Other than adding a few files to the OS 9 system folder, I had no idea OS X could affect (or effect?) OS 9.
Well it certainly can - most of OS 9's services are provided by OS X - the Classic application basically uses the OS X APIs. That's why OS 9 allows access to all files on the disk, but in Classic permissions are in force. However, there are some things that OS X doesn't provide - like access to the serial ports (which Classic manages to get anyway).

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Cipher13
May 21, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Well it certainly can - most of OS 9's services are provided by OS X - the Classic application basically uses the OS X APIs. That's why OS 9 allows access to all files on the disk, but in Classic permissions are in force. However, there are some things that OS X doesn't provide - like access to the serial ports (which Classic manages to get anyway).

That's how I understand it, anyway.
He's talking about straight-booting OS9... OSX does NOT provide OS9's services when OS9 is the system that was booted...

Forum Links
Forum Rules