Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 6.1 is Retarded!

Netscape 6.1 is Retarded!
Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2001, 12:36 AM

... and I'm not even talking about the program, because I haven't even gotten it installed yet, it's the installer that's retarded!!!!!!!

So here's my problem: I download the installer, choose custom install and turn almost everything off, then try to run the installer. If, by some miracle, it actually downloads all the modules (I have it set to save them on my computer) completely without locking up, it always chokes up on the installation part. And then when it does get Netscape itself installed before locking up, if I try to run Netscape is gives me a Type 2 and crashes (probably because it never finished installing correctly).

I've download the installer 5 or 6 times now and started over, but no luck. I'm on a Ti 500 on broadband DSL with NO applications running besides Finder and Installer, so speed is not the issue.

Help anyone? Or do I just stick with IE 5, because this is a bad sign.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 08:51 PM

It is, I swear!!!!!

I downloaded the newest mozilla build (0.9.2 i think) and it installed (and actually works) fine. but I'm still on IE 5 for now.

help a brother out...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2001, 03:49 AM

I downloaded the "full install" version of NS 6.1, and had no problem with it. This is a greatly improved version (6.0 and 6.0.1 were terrible!), but I downloded Mozilla 0.9.2, and THIS version is GREAT! Good load speeds, downloads are faster than ANYTHING else available (and I use all the current browser choices), reloads are quick (but slower than IE or Opera on page reloads)........I just can't find much to complain about in this browser at all! (Other than the mail component, which doesn't work as well as NS 4.7 yet). And, I haven't had crash #1 yet, after a full day of intensive use! (Can't say that for IE, which crashes 2-3 times/day for me...)

For now, this is my browser of choice - can't wait for v. 1.0!

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2001, 03:28 PM

0.9.2 is awesome. Stay away from Netscape for now. When they add their junk to it (AIM etc.) they seem to introduce many bugs. This latest mozilla build is great. Get the talkback version so you can submit bugs. They typically fix the top 25 bugs each release (plus numerous small bugs). So the more they agregate, the better each release it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules