Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pet Stores & a $10,000 Yorkie

Pet Stores & a $10,000 Yorkie
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2005, 04:03 PM

As some of you know from other threads, I do some volunteer work for a local no-kill animal shelter here where we live. I work at their shelter, I pick up and transport dogs, and occasionally we provide a temporary foster home for a puppy that needs a loving situation that will give him or her socialization.

A lot of the dogs that we get are rejects for various reasons. Sometimes it's just that they are incompatible with a family and sometimes the dog just has bad conformation and is not going to be the perfect show dog that they wanted.

About two weeks ago a Yorkie puppy came to stay with us. His ears wouldn't stand up, he has an undershot bite, he has a hernia, and he has infected ears. He is very sweet and extremely smart, but he was in bad shape. Turns out that this puppy came from a well-respected and well-known puppy store down here in Southeast Florida and that he was originally a $4000 puppy. $4000!

Thousands of dollars were spent on the puppy that was sold sick. He's doing a lot better than he was, but he still has infected ears and will need a hernia operation.

These places (pet stores) get their puppies from various places and I have to tell you, when I have visited them they always repulse me. I went down to the place listed below (Wizard of Claws) and I felt so sorry for those puppies.

Yet, they are apparently thriving - look at their website and see their puppies that sell up to $10,000:

Wizard of Claws

There is even a anti-Wizard of Claws website:

Stop Wizard of Claws

When I went down there to try to get some information I was really repulsed by what I saw. First of all, it is in a seedy strip mall. Second of all, you have to be buzzed into the entrance - you cannot walk in. They even have a bouncer-looking guy standing there. Thirdly, the place was filthy. Fourthly, they had converted over another space in the same strip mall and the glass windows were covered by huge brown (old) drapes and you could hear all kinds of puppies whining and barking - I think they must have had at least 20 to 50 dogs in there. The man that I was trying to talk to was in that particular room and when he walked out the odor of ammonia mixed with puppy urine was terrible.

How can these people stay in business?

And how are they are selling their puppies for thousands of dollars?

Here is a picture of the little guy when we got him and what he looks like now - he loves to ride around in my son's little toy car.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2005, 06:06 PM

The pictures of him are so cute. This is an example of why no one should ever purchase a puppy from a pet store. It best either at a place like yours or a reputable breeder.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

bubblewrap
Senior User
Mar 27, 2005, 07:40 PM

The cockatoo I want is $28,000.
Palm Cockatoo.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2005, 09:25 PM

Palm cockatoos are beautiful.

If you want to PM me I know some people who have them and for a lot less than 28K. They own a huge aviary on the west coast of Florida. Just an FYI.

This is the thing though: How would you feel if you spent 28K on a palm cockatoo and found out after the fact that it was very ill and needed extensive medical care and might not live after all? What about paying for surgery? Wouldn't you be upset?

I agree with you WDLove.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 10:26 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted.

My dog has been a fantastic companion since the week we brought her home. Adoption cost: $100 to the person at the rescue society who saved her from death at the shelter.

I can't imagine spending $4K on a dog. OK, not on purchase price.... when ours broke her leg, well, that's another thing.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 10:13 AM

hey Cody,

i'm in the market for a puppy. i live in orlando. does your shelter rescue a good number? i almost bought a french bulldog the other day ($2000, yeeee owww) but thought i should wait a little bit and see if i can adopt a similiar pup.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 10:18 AM

just read through their site, and the others. thats awful. i knew puppy mills existed, but i didnt know they existed like that

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 10:40 AM

Puppy mills suck. Pet shops suck.

They separate the pups from their mothers/litters too early, most develop behavioral problems because of this. They are poorly taken "care"of, and to top it all off they overcharge your ass and depend on non informed impulse buyers to fall for the cute 4-5 week old pup in the window display.

Get your dog from a reputable breeder or shelter.

Dogs are cool
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 02:25 PM

I agree with you about adopting dogs.

I would like to know something: Does ANYONE know of a REPUTABLE pet store that sells puppies?

Seriously?

OreoCookie
Mar 29, 2005, 02:40 PM

We got all of our dogs at the animal shelter. My first dog was a pure bread even, a very rare breed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 03:04 PM

I volunteer for this shelter and I love each and every animal that is brought in.

What is unbelievable is that people discard animals - even animals that they paid many thousands of dollars for - because they do not want to pay for their care, medical or otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules