Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 15)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Rumor has it they have these new things called PDA's that even played games.
So that's what this Tungstan T3 thing is on my desk?

The DS has wifi, support for Game Boy games, dual screens, low price point, and a stylus. Sounds like a pretty damn good PDA platform to me.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by goMac:

The DS has wifi, support for Game Boy games, dual screens, low price point, and a stylus. Sounds like a pretty damn good PDA platform to me.
In that case I suggest you run out and buy one immediately rather than posting in a PSP forum.

All you need now is an Palm OS and applications for the DS and your all set! Than you don't need your current PDA anymore as a crippled version on the DS will be much better!
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Mar 30, 2005 at 01:49 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 01:47 PM

You are making it sound like sony forgot to add something.
When did I ever suggest that? I think maybe Darth Vader severed your head instead of your hand.

It is like saying, if the PSP had wheels and drove me to work I would buy it. If not, I am not buying it.
Yes, it's exactly like saying that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 02:15 PM

So buy one and leave us the f--k alone.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ink
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 04:04 PM

Wipeout Pure looks killer.

I'm NOT paying $300 to play it though.

Actually, I probably could be convinced to plop down $300 to play it... I'll just have to talk myself into it.
( Last edited by ink; Mar 30, 2005 at 04:18 PM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by ink:

Actually, I probably could be convinced to plop down $300 to play it... I'll just have to talk myself into it.
This morning I was playing some multiplayer Wipeout with a coworker. Playing wirelessly on a handheld is really cool.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by ink:

i think you will be able to. hell, i can't walk past the electronics isles when i go shopping anymore. i will get my psp in a few weeks, i can't wait. kinda waiting for fifa on it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 04:43 PM

I would buy a PSP but I just got a DS for Valentines Day. If I bought a new handheld now it would hurt her feelings. Not that I wanted the DS that badly anyway, she just had no idea what to get me and had heard me talking about it.

I'm also having a hard time justifying spending $400 on handhelds in a 2 month timespan.

I think I'll wait 'til the inevitable price drop on the PSP. It doesn't have any games I'm dying to play anyway. Wipeout, Twisted Metal and Lumines all look cool, but not cool enough to buy a system for.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
It doesn't have any games I'm dying to play anyway. Wipeout, Twisted Metal and Lumines all look cool, but not cool enough to buy a system for.
I thought the same about the launch titles till I played wipeout.

Since the DS has been out 5 months what game for it would you say is worth buying the system for?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 06:22 PM

I would like to propose a suggestion...

Everyone here who likes the PSP: never EVER mention the DS in this thread again... its for the common good.

Everyone who likes the DS better: go away and stop starting/joining fights.

Seriously guys if you like the DS, fine. Just don't bug people who happen to like the PSP. and same goes for PSP people (myself included). Lets not forget, a great man once said "opinions are like assholes, we all have them and no-one wants to hear them".

I read this PSP thread for info about the PSP, not the DS... even if you think it's better, I still don't care.

Thanks you for listening. Now back to your regularly scheduled PSP thread!

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 06:26 PM

ARS has a review of the PSP. here is a snip:

"I remember when the original PlayStation launched. I waited in line at the local electronics store with about a dozen other people to get one of the launch units, and I remember my friends making fun of me. Sony knows nothing about videogames, they all said. You can't make a console unless you're Sega or Nintendo, they said. I liked what the Playstation brought to the table, I got one, and the rest is history. Sony went on to bring gaming to the mass market with the PlayStation, and the PlayStation 2 has almost completely defined its generation of gaming. The lessons I learned from this are twofold.

I am much smarter than my friends, and,
Never underestimate Sony when they are hungry and want to take over a market.

It is often said that when competition begins, the primary winner is the consumer, and Nintendo has ruled portable gaming unopposed for too long. [b]While I've enjoyed every Game Boy product and I love my DS, there is no doubt that they aren't pushing any real technological barriers with their systems. They lay back and play it safe with rehashed software and underpowered systems.[b] Why? Because they can. No one is trying to eat their lunch. On March 24, 2005 that changed, in a big way."

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/psp.ars

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2005, 06:28 PM

im not reading 15 pages of flaming, but has anyone here reviewed/used the various syncing programs for OSX?

thinking about picking one up, my coworker has one with Lumines and i cant put it down!

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 06:43 PM

I thought the same about the launch titles till I played wipeout.

Since the DS has been out 5 months what game for it would you say is worth buying the system for?
There are none. The only game worth owning is Wario Ware. And it gets old after about 3 days.

I'm a huge Advance Wars fanboy though. So I knew that I would need a DS to play Advance Wars DS. So until that comes out I'll get some other games to play while I wait.

I still only own Wario Ware. I even prefer to play my GBA games on my SP since it's actually somewhat uncofortable to play them on the DS... even without using one hand and the stylus.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Garage81:
im not reading 15 pages of flaming, but has anyone here reviewed/used the various syncing programs for OSX?
yup, iPSP is awful and PSPware works incredibly well, perfectly actually. It syncs with iPhoto and itunes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 07:31 PM

It's really only the Mac community that appears to be so anti-PSP. I'm thinking it has something to do with the PSP having features that they secretly want in the iPod but are afraid to admit are missing from the iPod.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
There are none. The only game worth owning is Wario Ware. And it gets old after about 3 minutes.
Fixed

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
It's really only the Mac community that appears to be so anti-PSP. I'm thinking it has something to do with the PSP having features that they secretly want in the iPod but are afraid to admit are missing from the iPod.
I'm not anti-PSP. I just may wait to buy one until the feature set is where I need it to be and perhaps the price has come down a bit.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 08:14 PM

It's really only the Mac community that appears to be so anti-PSP.
No it is the Nintendo fanboys that are running scared over it.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 08:19 PM

Slashdot also seems pretty anti PSP.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 08:25 PM

Slashdot also seems pretty anti PSP.
When are they positive about anything? They are anti-mac, ant-microsoft, anti-intel.

Not to mention a Linux on the PSP project has already started to the Slashdot crowd is going to love that.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 08:56 PM

I got my hands on one yesterday. Graphics seem good, interface too. The general feel of the console was pretty good (although the square button was less "spongy" than the others), analog button well handled. It also looked better in person than in any picture I've seen. I especially liked the top buttons. It was however heavy and big, not something I would carry in my pocket everyday. Then again I am not really sure I'd want to either. I'd just bring one if going on a long train or plane-journey I guess, and then I'd rather play on my PowerBook.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 09:10 PM

Before I left work today, I put my PSP in its case and then put it in my messenger bag. I was walking to the train and it started pouring heavy rain with lightning. I didn't have an umbrella so I ran as fast as I could to the train station for cover. I just got home and found that when I was running, the PSP came out of it's case and the screen is all scratched. Anybody have any recommendations or ideas of how to remove the scratches? I know they make scratch polish remover for iPods like iCleaner or Ice Cream, but I'm hesitant to try something like that.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
When are they positive about anything? They are anti-mac, ant-microsoft, anti-intel.

Not to mention a Linux on the PSP project has already started to the Slashdot crowd is going to love that.
Uhhh... Slashdot is very Pro-Apple...

Myriad
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 11:00 PM

Anti-Mac? Which Slashdot have you been visiting?
Have you seen me?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I'd just bring one if going on a long train or plane-journey I guess, and then I'd rather play on my PowerBook.
Listening SWG?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Myriad:
Anti-Mac? Which Slashdot have you been visiting?
The ones that say Apple is too expensive, the video card sucks and there are no games for it.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Anybody have any recommendations or ideas of how to remove the scratches? I know they make scratch polish remover for iPods like iCleaner or Ice Cream, but I'm hesitant to try something like that.
Why? The purpose of those products is to remove scratches. Perhaps you can try it on a small area. Even if it doesn't work, I doubt it'll make things any worse.

So I guess Sony didn't include a screen protector in that mandatory value pack, huh? That sucks. Those things should be mandatory for something like this.

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
It was however heavy and big, not something I would carry in my pocket everyday.
I knew I wasn't the only one.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 11:05 PM

The ones that say Apple is too expensive, the video card sucks and there are no games for it.
What alternate universe are you in?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 11:52 PM

What alternate universe are you in?
I still want to know what you are doing in PSP thread with all this people are buying a DS to play old games on crap

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 11:54 PM

I still want to know what you are doing in PSP thread with all this people are buying a DS to play old games on crap
I'm here fixing your inherently silly posts?

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 12:00 AM

Before I left work today, I put my PSP in its case and then put it in my messenger bag. I was walking to the train and it started pouring heavy rain with lightning. I didn't have an umbrella so I ran as fast as I could to the train station for cover. I just got home and found that when I was running, the PSP came out of it's case and the screen is all scratched. Anybody have any recommendations or ideas of how to remove the scratches? I know they make scratch polish remover for iPods like iCleaner or Ice Cream, but I'm hesitant to try something like that.
What I would do (I am not responsible if you jack up your PSP those gaps between the buttons and the chassis look like a gunk target)

Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. Its damn good. Forget the Ice Cream and the istuff.

If you have some gashes on the screen bump it up to #3 HEAVY scratch remover.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 12:04 AM

I'm here fixing your inherently silly posts?
Oh thank god, you've really convinced everyone. Perhaps you should actually go an buy a system so you can have a real opinion in a DS thread.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 31, 2005, 12:35 AM

I clocked Ridge Racer! I cheated a little by downloading a save game from PSP Vault but did the rest. The Downtown Rave City level is amazing. Top console quality graphics and so damn fast! I went to see if there were any other games to buy but all the games, every copy of every title, was sold out. All PSPs sold out too. I'm itching for FIFA.

Questions and answer related to posts above.

The PSP comes with a padded pouch that protects the unit. I don't know how anyone can scratch their PSP with it.

There's no point comparing the DS to a PSP. The DS has no texture filtering, renders low resolution graphics and doesn't support multiple textures. It's 1997 graphics technology with a touchscreen. The PSP is equivalent to a scaled down PS2 with all the same features and more. Regarding load times, yes they are slower than cartidges but still faster than the PS2 or X-Box and you get 1.8GB of game data to play with. The price will come down as they always do but consider that for $250 you're getting a small device that has an X-Black screen, video and music playback, PS2 quality gaming, dual processors, wireless internet and a memory stick reader with the USB cable that integrates very well with the Mac. Compare that to Window Media portables which cost much more just because they have a hard disk or to the iPod which basically plays music and has basic PIM functions.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Mar 31, 2005 at 01:24 AM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
The PSP comes with a padded pouch that protects the unit. I don't know how anyone can scratch their PSP with it.
I had my PSP in the padded pouch in my messenger bag. While I was running, the PSP fell out of the padded pouch. The other items in my messenger bag scratched the screen.

Also, from Ars Technica review:

You get a soft case, which would be nice if it didn't seem to want to rub the screen completely away (I can thank this case for my first scratch. I have no clue how a soft case can scratch a system, but there you go.

Thanks Sandbaggins for the recommendation. I'm going to get the Novus #1 & #2 and try it out.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 01:20 AM

So who saw South Park?

It featured the PSP in a spoof of the Last Starfighter. Had Kenny in heaven fighting the forces of hell after getting a high score on his PSP.
( Last edited by ort888; Mar 31, 2005 at 01:49 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 31, 2005, 01:25 AM

I had my PSP in the padded pouch in my messenger bag. While I was running, the PSP fell out of the padded pouch. The other items in my messenger bag scratched the screen.

You get a soft case, which would be nice if it didn't seem to want to rub the screen completely away (I can thank this case for my first scratch. I have no clue how a soft case can scratch a system, but there you go.

Thanks Sandbaggins for the recommendation. I'm going to get the Novus #1 & #2 and try it out.
Unlucky. I have no scratches or bad pixels.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 01:54 AM

NP Wax.

#1 is good for cleaning, ala Klear, and as a "dust repellent".

As far as all the talk about the PSP''s cost I think it is a steal at 249

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
As far as all the talk about the PSP''s cost I think it is a steal at 249
Same here, I mean find ANYTHING with a screen that size and it is cheaper than it. Just as a video player it is great.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I knew I wasn't the only one.
I feel the same about the DS. The GBA SP is still the only real pocketable system IMO.

Sorry to hear about the scratches waxcrash, that's just about my worst nightmare! Hope you can get em off.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 06:51 AM

Since when is the topic Nintendo DS sales figures?

At any rate:

Japan sales:

PlayStation Portable: 43,644 (Annual: 580,120)
PlayStation 2: 40,270 (Annual: 602,316)
Nintendo DS: 22,446 (Annual: 429,545)
Hmmm.... last i heard Nintendo had sold 1.5 million DSs in Japan. that was in January. Better tell that little guy in your head to stop messing with you. And a link would be nice as well.... And instead of projected sales figures...how about actual sales figures to date. Lets not make stuff up now.

EDIT: 3 million sold . 87,000 sold in the UK(first 2 days)http://channels.lockergnome.com/game...uk_sales.phtml

Now ..if only Sony could release sales figures...hopefully theyre not too scared. lol. go ahead...disprove those figures im sure u will with your twisted logic. I hope the next time you PSP fanboys mention the DS, youll be sure to mention sales figures.

Anyway...nuff said...the DS has enough going for it....so ill take your leave....I'll let you respectful PSP owned get on with your discussions. let me know when the PSP worldwide sales figures overtake the NDS...if and when that happens.

please forgive me for getting into your threads....just annoying that a few nerds choose to diss Nintendo everytime they get insecure. Enjoy your PSP, im sure theyre great machines.

Ciao Ciao.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 31, 2005 at 07:30 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 06:51 AM

Speaking for myself, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, my DS is the first Nintendo anything I've ever bought. I've seen and used my mate's PSP, and it is impressive and the graphics are better than the DS (everything I've read about both systems compares DS graphics to N64 and PSP graphics to PS2, so of course the PSP games are going to look better!) But I'm not going to import one, if I was going to get one I'd rather buy a proper UK market one from a shop when it comes out. PSP and DS are both new platforms, with things promised for them in the future like PDA function and syncing to a computer. I'm not pro or anti either of them, I just bought the DS because it was available. Handling wise, the DS and the PSP are big things compared to a GBA, but then I've got big hands, so I don't mind it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I feel the same about the DS. The GBA SP is still the only real pocketable system IMO.
That's what I've always said. All of my gadget upgrades have been to smaller units (Nokia 3650 to SE T610, Canon S400 to Casio Exilim Z-40, and iPod 40 to iPod shuffle). I hope the new GB keeps the same form factor (or something close) above all else. I like being able to fit everything in my pockets.

The PSP needs some RPGs. I hate racing games.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
That's what I've always said. All of my gadget upgrades have been to smaller units (Nokia 3650 to SE T610, Canon S400 to Casio Exilim Z-40, and iPod 40 to iPod shuffle). I hope the new GB keeps the same form factor (or something close) above all else. I like being able to fit everything in my pockets.

The PSP needs some RPGs. I hate racing games.
I also hate racing games. 'cept for Wipeout It just gets better each time I playz it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 08:56 AM

The problem with the GBA is that the screen is too small for certain games. Sony upped the ante with what a portable device should have. Yes, it's nice that the GBA fits in your pocket, but so many games suffer because of the small screen. FF:Tactics, Sonic, Crash Banditoot, and the videogame anthologies come to mind.

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by starman:
The problem with the GBA is that the screen is too small for certain games. Sony upped the ante with what a portable device should have.
A portable device should have great battery life.

Yes, it's nice that the GBA fits in your pocket, but so many games suffer because of the small screen. FF:Tactics, Sonic, Crash Banditoot, and the videogame anthologies come to mind.
I haven't played those other games, but I had no problems with the screen while playing FF Tactics Advance. Actually, I thought the mechanics of that game turned out really well. It obviously isn't as good as FF Tactics, but it's a fun game.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 01:13 PM

The moment the PSP either:

1) Comes with an internal micro hard drive
or
2) I can burn my own data UMD

I'll be all over it.

I got to play with a co-worker's recently. The thing's so slick and the screen so gorgeous, it almost makes me wish I liked console games.

I may end up getting one anyway just because it's such a cool piece of tech fetish.

Anyone see this?: PSP Linux

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 01:25 PM

Well everyone had their hopes up for Rayman DS. It is a total bomb even though it was good on the N64 the DS is screwing it up because of the crap hardware:

"While the graphics are gorgeous in some spots, there are problems related to the DS screen and the in-game camera that have negative consequences toward the overall graphical quality of the game, and, frequently, toward its gameplay as well. The game uses the graphics from the original Nintendo 64 version, but the DS screen is much smaller and darker than a television screen is, which often means it's difficult to make out small objects or to notice dark pitfalls, even when they're right in front of you. The frame rate has a tendency to vary between silky smooth and full-on jumpy...so much so, in fact, that in addition to making it tough to make precise jumps, you may also find yourself feeling physically ill because of how the animation is constantly speeding up and slowing down in certain levels."

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/ra..._topslot_click

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 31, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
The moment the PSP either:

1) Comes with an internal micro hard drive
or
2) I can burn my own data UMD

3) Anyone see this?: PSP Linux
1. There's no space at the moment. If you look at the device the two processors and memory are crammed in an area no bigger than 1 inch by 1 inch. Amazing feat. The rest of the machine is taken up by the screen, memory stick slot and UMD drive. The only way a micro HD will ever be fitted in is if Sony gets rid of memory stick, which won't happen as they make money from them, or if the price of micro HD comes down a lot.

2. A third party might make them but not in the foreseeable future but don't count on it. The PS2 doesn't play burned a lot of burned material such as some music CDRWs.

3. What's the point of a PSP Linux when the OS on the PSP is based on Open BSD and will be expanded to include more functionality? Linux is pretty useless in this case as it won't be able to boot games or play UMD movies. There's no Linux support for the format.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 31, 2005, 01:38 PM

The frame rate has a tendency to vary between silky smooth and full-on jumpy...so much so, in fact, that in addition to making it tough to make precise jumps, you may also find yourself feeling physically ill because of how the animation is constantly speeding up and slowing down in certain levels."

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/ra..._topslot_click
Interesting that a 2005 games machine with 1997 graphics technology can't maintain a decent framerate.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Interesting that a 2005 games machine with 1997 graphics technology can't maintain a decent framerate.
And has no analogue controller which is 100% necessary with 3d games. The touch-screen is not a good replacement as it is a step back.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules