Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 17)
powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2005, 10:37 AM

My wife is now officially addicted to Lumines..guess we'll have to fight over who gets the PSP next!
Joe

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
launch estimates 500k.... you need to quite making stuff up... stick to the facts...no matter how hard it is for you. ....
http://psp.ign.com/articles/600/600453p1.html
I think you should re-read that.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 01:47 PM

Wipeout Pure:
"Sony is considering releasing around two new courses, ships, and extra soundtrack songs each month, for six months! "

How awesome is that!

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2005, 01:56 PM

That is awesome!

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Wipeout Pure:
"Sony is considering releasing around two new courses, ships, and extra soundtrack songs each month, for six months! "

How awesome is that!
Joe

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 3, 2005, 01:58 PM

If confirmed it's mine!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 3, 2005, 02:12 PM

Having seen the PSP in person now, I'd say it's no contest. PSP >>> DS

I won't be buying either though.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
launch estimates 500k.... you need to quite making stuff up... stick to the facts...no matter how hard it is for you. ....
http://psp.ign.com/articles/600/600453p1.html
Even if it is 500k is it still bad news for the DS:
"The Nintendo DS was able to sell through a similar 500,000 units in its first week at retail, although exact comparisons may not fit -- the DS was launched during the 2004 holiday frenzy, but it was also released in carefully portioned numbers and was difficult to find on shelves for much of the period and beyond."

So the Nintendo at CHRISTMAS sells 500k new systems on something they have a monopoly on.

Along comes Sony new to the market after Christmas and sell the same amount.
Hmmmmm

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 03:04 PM

Even if it is 500k is it still bad news for the DS:
"The Nintendo DS was able to sell through a similar 500,000 units in its first week at retail, although exact comparisons may not fit -- the DS was launched during the 2004 holiday frenzy, but it was also released in carefully portioned numbers and was difficult to find on shelves for much of the period and beyond."

So the Nintendo at CHRISTMAS sells 500k new systems on something they have a monopoly on.

Along comes Sony new to the market after Christmas and sell the same amount.
Hmmmmm
I think you should re-read that.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 08:04 PM

*finally* found a place with ridge racer. got it this morning, been playing it all day. it's awesome.

got some cool little umd disc holders. $5 for 2. each one holds 3 umds. i think that the cases the games come in are way too big to carry around.

when i was paying for the game and the cases the salesman asked me if i wanted to pre-order any games and showed me a list, and according to said list (and salesman), fifa is coming out on tuesday (the 5th). i have a class in the morning and straight afterwards i will be at the gamestop asking for fifa.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 3, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
*finally* found a place with ridge racer. got it this morning, been playing it all day. it's awesome.

got some cool little umd disc holders. $5 for 2. each one holds 3 umds. i think that the cases the games come in are way too big to carry around.

when i was paying for the game and the cases the salesman asked me if i wanted to pre-order any games and showed me a list, and according to said list (and salesman), fifa is coming out on tuesday (the 5th). i have a class in the morning and straight afterwards i will be at the gamestop asking for fifa.
FIFA is a must. Don't forget to go to PSP Vault is you want gamesaves. The fast cars are what make Ridge Racer.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 10:24 PM

found a nice case. $20, comes out on the 14th.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 04:00 PM

Here is something really interesting I have been watching since the DS came out.

Next to NOBODY here who is either a Nintendo fabboy or bought a DS has come on the boards and talked about how incredibly fun the games are. Just the odd "The metroid demo seemed cool". Now the DS is supposed to fix what is so broken about the handled gaming market with all its neat new tricks. So why isn't everyone blown away by it?
The DS owners just seem to hit the boards to talk about how the PSP sucks, nobody wants console games on a handheld and the DS hardware is innovative etc.

I mean just look at the reviews here or anywhere else on the net from the PSP. People LOVE, Luminis, Ridge Racers, and Wipeout. I mean they REALLY REALLY love them (as do I). Not only are these good handled games they are damn good games period.

Is the DS still waiting for a game that proves that 2 screens and a touchscreen actually make the games more fun or just different for the sake of different.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Here is something really interesting I have been watching since the DS came out.

Next to NOBODY here who is either a Nintendo fabboy or bought a DS has come on the boards and talked about how incredibly fun the games are.
Nintendo fanboy says, "Blook at my blicep is awesome!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 4, 2005, 04:34 PM

Yeah, the two screen idea as implemented on the DS is just lame.

I'd rather have just the one screen and have it be $50 cheaper.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 04:36 PM

My only gripe with PSP games like RidgeRacers is that 3D games require too much concentration. When I am riding around on the underground, I can't really focus on RidgeRacers. 2D games like Lumines are much easier to focus on when you are commuting.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:
My only gripe with PSP games like RidgeRacers is that 3D games require too much concentration. When I am riding around on the underground, I can't really focus on RidgeRacers. 2D games like Lumines are much easier to focus on when you are commuting.
Idiotic opinion of the day.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Idiotic opinion of the day.
A bit crude, don't you agree? I was saying that it is difficult to get engaged in 3D games while playing on the underground/subway. Try it, and then get back to us.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 05:50 PM

A bit crude, don't you agree? I was saying that it is difficult to get engaged in 3D games while playing on the underground/subway. Try it, and then get back to us.
So play something else and play a 3D game elsewhere

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 05:57 PM

So play something else and play a 3D game elsewhere
I have only one 2D game, Lumines. As far as I know, it is the only 2D game for the PSP. I may just start taking my GBA on the tube rather than the PSP. If you think this is stupid, you probably haven't had any experience with the PSP or riding a subway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 05:57 PM

He has a point. There is something to be said for a game that is fun in 5 minute spurts, can be turned off at a moments notice, and gives you the abiity to look away at any moment and not get messed up.

That's why I love games like Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA. I can play those forever... but have trouble sticking to games that require a lot of time.

I tried Zelda: Minish Cap, but was unable to ever dedicate more than 30 minutes at a time, so every time I sat down to play I was completely lost.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion obviously, but I think that there is a difference between what makes a good portable game and what makes a good console game.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 05:59 PM

I have only one 2D game, Lumines. As far as I know, it is the only 2D game for the PSP.
Ridge Racer comes with a bonus 2D Pacman like game.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 06:01 PM

Ridge Racer comes with a bonus 2D Pacman like game.
Besides, I'm not a public gamer. I play while slouching on the couch while watching television like most people do. I mean, who wants to get a crap score in a game with people watching you?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 06:05 PM

i remembered that i have never fully set up my gamefly account and thus could still get the 10 day trial. i set it up now and rented lumines and twisted metal.

really interested in lumines, but i am not a tetris fan. renting it, playing it, sending it back, and cancelling my gamefly account before the 10 days is up, and buy it if i really like it
( Last edited by mdc; Apr 4, 2005 at 06:14 PM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 06:18 PM

Ridge Racer is hard to find. I've gone to 5 different stores and they are all sold out.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 06:23 PM

No I have to agree it was sorta retarded. I have a much easier time with a 3D racing game as lumines is one hard ass game even though it is 2D.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 06:56 PM

What's the point of having a portable console if you can only play it while sitting on your couch? You might as well just play your XBox.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 4, 2005, 06:59 PM

What's the point of having a portable console if you can only play it while sitting on your couch? You might as well just play your XBox.
Play XBox and watch television at the same time?!?!?!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 07:23 PM

Nintendo fanboy says, "Blook at my blicep is awesome!"
Ok that was funny
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

Next to NOBODY here who is either a Nintendo fabboy or bought a DS has come on the boards and talked about how incredibly fun the games are. Just the odd "The metroid demo seemed cool". Now the DS is supposed to fix what is so broken about the handled gaming market with all its neat new tricks. So why isn't everyone blown away by it?
The DS owners just seem to hit the boards to talk about how the PSP sucks, nobody wants console games on a handheld and the DS hardware is innovative etc.

I mean just look at the reviews here or anywhere else on the net from the PSP. People LOVE, Luminis, Ridge Racers, and Wipeout. I mean they REALLY REALLY love them (as do I). Not only are these good handled games they are damn good games period.

Is the DS still waiting for a game that proves that 2 screens and a touchscreen actually make the games more fun or just different for the sake of different.
Unfortunately you have an abundance of trolls who love making fun of it (NDS). maybe it's because they got nothing betetr to do eventhough they own XBoxs PS2s and PSP. Weird eh ?

P.S>also the article states that launch estimated are around 500k...estimates because sony is probably pretty embarassed at the sales figures...And im not making that up (they really havent bothered to release any data...for a damn good reason).

On a side note...the DS also launched in Europe (which, imo dosent have as big a video game market as the U.S) after the Christmas shopping season....it broke the record of fastest selling console in the UK. And also tallied around 500k sales across Europe. So..yeah 500k sales for the PSP in the U.S. is dismal at best, and even Sony seems to think so. How many sales records has the PSP broken in any region ?

PPS>> hmmmm...weird...theres only one PSP game in the top 10 Japaneeses games sales chart for the week ending MArch 27th. ... Whats even more weird is there are 3 DS titles in the top 10. http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/8537/ Thats so odd....since the PSP is so much better in every way...huh...
"Blook. At. My. Blicep".....heh...yea
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 5, 2005 at 08:25 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 05:50 AM

Frankenstein: Oy the same arguments we cheard when the PS2 came out. Exactly the same! Oy my cheadaches. Igor, get me tablets from the closet. Igor! Igor, where are you?!

Igor is in his quarters playing on the DS.

Igor: Blook at my blicep Blook at my blicep Blook at my blicep

Frankenstein: IGOR!

Igor throws the DS out the window. It lands on Frankenstein's Monster's head.

Igor: Yes, master! Cheadache tablets coming!

"Blook at my blicep"

Frankenstein: What's that noise?

Frankenstein looks out the window and sees the Monster.

Frankenstein: Igor, he can talk! He's alive!

Monster: Blook. At. My. Blicep.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:06 PM

PSP launched in South Korea with online service. Includes browser and online music, movies and games.

http://www.videogamerx.net/bbs/view.php?id=vx01&no=9014

It also shows the ISPs disc. Online software doesn't need to be installed in firmware. Any ISP can create a UMD disc that launches their online services using your existing wireless connection. Apple would do good to release iTunes on UMD.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2005, 01:11 PM

PSP launched in South Korea with online service. Includes browser and online music, movies and games.

http://www.videogamerx.net/bbs/view.php?id=vx01&no=9014

It also shows the ISPs disc. Online software doesn't need to be installed in firmware. Any ISP can create a UMD disc that launches their online services using your existing wireless connection. Apple would do good to release iTunes on UMD.
It's May 2nd down there already? Wow, that's one hell of an International Date Line!

mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by starman:
It's May 2nd down there already? Wow, that's one hell of an International Date Line!

mike
Well, a pre-launch conference then. I hope someone soon gets around to using the analogue stick as a cursor and compiles Firefox on to UMD.

NESPOT Hits The Spot

We'll never see this Korean software, but it looks 'tre cool'.

by Nix

April 4, 2005 - For those who drooled over our story on the Korean Network-Enabled PSP Launch, be ready to be a little more jealous. This exclusive software adds some intriguing new features for PSP users to check out on Day One with the Korean PSP launch, and the integration seems to be very surprisingly comprehensive and intuitive.

Korea is one of the most internet-friendly countries in the world, so SCE made a special effort to include special network utility software with the PSP launch. The software was developed in conjunction with the popular network provider KT, and uses the NESPOT system of HotSpots and networking systems. Be sure to read the article above if you want to know more, but here are the essentials: Video On Demand, Music On Demand, E-Books, Web Browsing (with full support for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and SSL protocols), and so much more.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 5, 2005 at 02:19 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 02:41 PM

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 02:43 PM

She watches her video on it.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 5, 2005, 02:49 PM

It's good.
For her dog to poop on!!!

( Last edited by budster101; Apr 5, 2005 at 02:57 PM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:41 PM

A coworker just came up to me with Need for Speed Underground. After playing it for a few minutes, all I can say is the music really sucks. The game is ok, but Ridge Racer is so much better. Don't waste your money on EA games.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 03:59 PM

They don't call that game "Need For Speed" for nothing. That game has absolutely no sensation of speed.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 04:42 PM

I've already got 4 games and I'm having a great deal of fun

My take so far:

Gretzky NHL : Average hocky game.

Ape Escape : I think it's the only 'mario' type adventure game out for the PSP so far. But it's fun! I hope some games like '40 winks', or 'Maximo' come out for the PSP, cause these are my fav. types of games.

Twisted Metal : Cool smashumup game.

Spiderman 2 : My personal fav. so far. I cant wait till Batman comes out I've always liked action hero games.

I've already spent like $1000CAD on my PSP, it's an expensive lil gadget. Now I just need a 1GB memory stick so I can trot around some small movies, music and pics

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 5, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I've already got 4 games and I'm having a great deal of fun

My take so far:
<snip>

Spiderman 2 : My personal fav. so far. I cant wait till Batman comes out I've always liked action hero games.

I've already spent like $1000CAD on my PSP, it's an expensive lil gadget. Now I just need a 1GB memory stick so I can trot around some small movies, music and pics
Batman is gay?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
Batman is gay?

Maybe, you'll have to wait till the movie comes out to find out.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 04:58 PM

Batman is most definitely a leather daddy. Robin is his bitch. There's no ambiguity at all!

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Obi Wan's Ghost:
She watches her video on it.
So do I

j/k

I'm going to head out in a bit to purchase Lumines and possibly Metal Gear.

Me like turned based, card games. So there.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
So do I

j/k

I'm going to head out in a bit to purchase Lumines and possibly Metal Gear.

Me like turned based, card games. So there.
Lumines is one of the best puzzle games ever but I hear metal gear sucks

Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 10:24 PM

Here is the truth again from the Nintendo fanboy site:

"I gotta say though, it's frustrating when Nintendo launches the DS, virtually does nothing with it for four months, and then the PSP comes along with a launch lineup 20+ titles deep. Not to mention the fact that 4 of those titles scored high 8's or 9's on most websites (WipeOut Pure, Lumines, Ridge Racer, Tony Hawk) and 4 others allowed online play over the Internet. It really makes you look at how Nintendo's fumbling around with their online capability and weak-ass DS game library and ask, "Do these guys even know what the hell they're doing anymore? Can they make anything other than Mario or Pokemon games?"

I really try not to be so negative all the time, but Nintendo makes it hard to be positive. They'll always be around, mainly because their business practices emphasize profit even at the expense of market share, but doubt they'll ever be at the forefront again."

http://planetgamecube.com/specials.c...profile&id=547

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:

I really try not to be so negative all the time, but Nintendo makes it hard to be positive. They'll always be around, mainly because their business practices emphasize profit even at the expense of market share, but doubt they'll ever be at the forefront again."
That sounds strikingly similar to

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 5, 2005, 11:03 PM

That sounds strikingly similar to
Nintendo is the Microsoft of the handheld gaming world. Churning out the same software all the time running on blocky badly designed boxes.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 12:09 AM

this is half of you in this thread

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 6, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
this is half of you in this thread
Are you supposed to be the boring old man taking his belt off?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:14 AM

Are you supposed to be the boring old man taking his belt off?

Forum Links
Forum Rules