Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eBay Reselling?

eBay Reselling?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 08:28 PM

It seems to me that a lot of what gets you money on eBay is your presentation of the product. For example, I sold an iPod for $270, even though I only had a feedback rating of 2. I was thinking that buying items from people with bad presentation skills, and then reselling them, might be a good way to earn some extra cash. Has anyone ever tried this? I'm sure it's a pretty common practice. Of course, the eBay seller charges and shipping charges don't help.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 09:00 PM

I've done it a few times. I once bought a camera on eBay for $25, and sold it for over $100. Other than that though, the fees tend to take any real profit I may have made.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2005, 09:51 PM

Yes, I do it all the time! The motto is "buy low and sell high."

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2005, 11:17 PM

It's easier to buy cheap from a garage sale, and then sell on eBay in my experience.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 11:28 PM

How did you present your item?

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by osxpinot
How did you present your item?
Nothing fancy, but I put a little effort into it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESO:IT
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

osxpinot
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 11:54 PM

Well another thing to take into consideration is that people on eBay are stupid. These can be for less locally, but we are talking about eBay.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
It seems to me that a lot of what gets you money on eBay is your presentation of the product. For example, I sold an iPod for $270, even though I only had a feedback rating of 2. I was thinking that buying items from people with bad presentation skills, and then reselling them, might be a good way to earn some extra cash. Has anyone ever tried this? I'm sure it's a pretty common practice. Of course, the eBay seller charges and shipping charges don't help.

Just some advice. Don't take pics of the item you are selling on your carpet. Use a flat platform and throw a nice blanket (solid colored) over the platform and snap away.

The presentation looks ok but the carpet kinda kills it.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sandbaggins
Just some advice. Don't take pics of the item you are selling on your carpet. Use a flat platform and throw a nice blanket (solid colored) over the platform and snap away.

The presentation looks ok but the carpet kinda kills it.
I didn't have the same reaction. On the contrary, I thought the picture looked quite nice, and I was also impressed by the way Tavilach showed the box was sealed by showing the reflection of the name tag on the plastic.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 01:49 AM

Yeah, the ebay/paypal fees really eat into any low margin ebay businesses. I bought a mac mini for cheap the first week it was out when no one could get them. I got it 10% off or so, and I tried to flip it on ebay but ended up breaking even after fees. (I think I lost 12¢ plus my time)

ImpulseResponse

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 02:12 AM

I haven't had much luck on ebay. To really make any money you need to have a steady stream of items that are reasonably difficult to get (old books, handmade stuff, exclusive items not otherwise available), or be able to get a price significantly lower than your competitors (selling the same item)- Like say you know the manufacturer, and they swing you a great deal. If you can do either of these, you can make money on ebay. Otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2005, 03:49 AM

Just a tip.

eBay + PayPal fees = 10~12% of whatever your final sale price is.

I've spent enough time on eBay, and though made some profits, the fees always take away a big portion of the pie.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 06:12 AM

Just buy and sell stocks?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alezone
Just a tip.

eBay + PayPal fees = 10~12% of whatever your final sale price is.

I've spent enough time on eBay, and though made some profits, the fees always take away a big portion of the pie.
True, but sometimes you need a large audience for items.

I usually try and sell through the local newspaper first, then move on to eBay if there's no interest. Then if nothing after that, off to Freecycle it goes!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 23, 2005, 10:57 AM

It's why adertisers are sooo successful.

Presentation
Presentation
Presentation

But, the product quality is what keeps them coming back... (APPLE)

Forum Links
Forum Rules