Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Serious problem with 12inch PowerBook

Serious problem with 12inch PowerBook
Rubens
Apr 16, 2003, 08:00 AM

Hi,

I have recently received two powerbook G4 12 inch models from the UK applestore, The second being a replacement for the first.

Both machines have behaved in the same way and have the following problem.

When first powered on the installer runs and everything is fine. The machine is built. At this point I want to rebuild the machine from the factory DVD so that I have a nice compact clean install with no OS9.

Here in lies the problem. When I insert the restore DVD and click restart, the machine reboots I get the chime, followed by the greyscreen with spinning icon and that's IT ! nothing! The cd is accessed but never initiates the install process........

HELP.... As I explained the second machine I have recieved behaves in the same way! SURELY YOU CAN RESTORE FROM THE FACTORY DVD. The OSX version on the DVD is 10.2.3

Any help would be greatlty appreciated, as I await my Third machine...

Thanks

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 08:20 AM

Dude are you holding down "C" until the Apple logo appears? If not you aren't booting the install CD

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 08:20 AM

Try this:

Insert the DVD with the OS X software on it, and then Shut Down your PB. Reboot it by hitting the Power Button, and hold "C" while it's rebooting. This will force your Mac to access the optical drive to attempt bootup. You may be holding "C" for quite a while, so don't give up on it early...this process can take a good couple of minutes. Then you should see a standard "Installer" looking screen in which you will have a couple of options for installing OS X. You'll have "Reformat & Reinstall" (or something such as that), "Archive & Install", and one other option that I've forgot...but at any rate, select the top option dealing w/ reformating and reinstalling, and then after that you can select what is to be installed and what isn't, thus your opportunity to leave out "Classic" OS 9. Then continue the process by letting it reformat & reinstall OS X.

Hope that works for ya, let us know! Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Rubens  (op)
Apr 16, 2003, 08:32 AM

Thanks for your prompt replies guys, but NO joy with the 'c' key....

Same thing happens the CD is accessed and then the CD shuts down and I get the endless spinning icon....

I don't get it, because I also have a 17incher and the re-install is as simple as insert the cd, double click, press restart and wait....

Any other suggestions ???

Thanks again

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 08:51 AM

Phew, this AlBook's making this mighty difficult!

Heh, my only other bit of advice would be to shut your 12" PB down, and power it up by hitting the Power Button, and as soon as power hits it hold down the Command key (also known as the "Open Apple" key as it's got a hollow Apple on the key) and "S" at the same time.

This should take you in via Single User Mode, and after it runs its array of commands in there, type "fsck -y" and hit "Enter". It'll do some computing and then after a minute or two it'll stop, and you may want to do it once more just for safe keeping. After this type "exit" and hit "Enter" to leave that screen & attempt to continue bootup. If that fails, do a hard reboot, and try the holding "C" option once more.

If this fails, a call to AppleCare would be my next move. Best of luck man.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Rubens  (op)
Apr 16, 2003, 08:54 AM

Thanks for your help dude, but I've already done the fsck thing etc.....

Basically the machine is going back and a replacement is being sent, but the thing that puzzles me is why both machines (indepentantly sent) display the same behaviour....

Hopefully third time lucky eh !

Thanks again

Rubens  (op)
Apr 16, 2003, 10:25 AM

just found this, it sounds like it's quite common....

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

2kmy477
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 12:02 PM

Try this,

Press"C"while power on the laptop,when you see the spinning thing,press and hold the command & v keys,command prompt will run for about 30 seconds and you'll be in the OS install screen,it works every single time for me,I received this little trick from an apple employee,please let us know if it works for you.

Rubens  (op)
Apr 16, 2003, 12:55 PM

works like a dream man,

Thanks for the tip.

Why does this make a difference ?????

Thanks

2kmy477
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 01:22 PM

I was told by that apple employee that it's the timing issue between the DVD drive and the system itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules