Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you have a passport.

View Poll Results: Do you have a passport?
Poll Options:
Yes 99 votes (85.34%)
No 17 votes (14.66%)
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Do you have a passport. (Page 2)
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
And for all US Americans here: a drivers license is NOT a valid national ID.

-t
That depends on what you mean by national ID. State drivers licenses are accepted in most, if not all, situations that require photo identification.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 03:20 PM

sure.. always have one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
That depends on what you mean by national ID. State drivers licenses are accepted in most, if not all, situations that require photo identification.
No, it depends on your standpoint.

From the standpoint of a foreign country / entety, US drivers licenses are NOT a valid national ID. Currently, the US doesn't have a national ID.

-t

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 03:29 PM

Ah, okay from that perspective you're completely correct. You do still have to bring along the drivers license if you want to rent a car.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
It's funny though that the US doesn't care about your foreign passport if you have a green card. Green card is all you need to get in.

-t
If you say you are a legal immigrant, yes a green card is great.

But, if you are a visitor a passport if the best way to travel.

The nicest border officer was an American in Chicago.

He was so funny, he said next, I gave him my passport and smile and said good morning, he smiled back said hi, took a sip from his subway cup and said go ahead. It is a lot faster then let me check in my purse way way down in it if I have a valid ID.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2006, 06:11 PM

Just because it is accepted as "identification" does not make a driver's license a national ID card. The whole discussion in Congress about establishing minimum standards for issuing and controlling driver's licenses came about because in some places it's trivial to get one, with or without enough credentials to attest to you being you.

I currently have two really good photo IDs: a military retiree ID, and a Texas driver's license. They are both pretty hard to fake, and they both have some good anti-tamper/anti-counterfeit features. I had to use a good photo ID for the passport agent to accept my application; I basically had to convince HIM that I was who I said I was. This is good, because the agent usually has a good idea of what is and isn't reliable identification (he lives where he works, right?) so he/she knows that State A's license is good, but State B's is worthless for ID...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 06:26 PM

yup had it since i was 8 or something (i'll be 26 in a week or so). i have a feeling there will be a flood of applications now that you'll need one to get into canada.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 11:52 PM

I got one when I started working with an orphanage in Nicaragua two years ago.

Sealobo
Sep 23, 2006, 04:47 AM

I have two. Many of us here in Hong Kong have duo-nationality status, i.e. British National (Oversea) and China Hong Kong.

It's interesting how the China HK passport gaining more and more travelling power over time.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
However, this is NOT to advocate the requirement of carrying "indentity papers" like in some Cold-War-era Communist country but rather to provide a single repository for information on all US citizens.
Russia is a post-Cold War democracy and you sure as hell have to have your papers in order here at any time and any place for ID check and to make sure you are registered at a particular address (although you do have three days to register with the police if you visit another city).

Don't worry, though. Soon, I'm sure your country will catch up.

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 12:09 PM

Yup, the passport is by far the least contested ID, I use it for domestic flights too, nobody argues w/ it.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by PER3
Russia is a post-Cold War democracy and you sure as hell have to have your papers in order here at any time and any place for ID check and to make sure you are registered at a particular address (although you do have three days to register with the police if you visit another city).

Don't worry, though. Soon, I'm sure your country will catch up.
OFF TOPIC: Could you name a few "must see" places in Moscow (beyond what a traditional tourist would go and see). Also, perhaps you could name a pub or a place to get some good food (think nice, but down to earth [not having to get overly dressed up])

I'll be there in January.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 02:21 PM

I recently inquired about the price for renewing an American passport.

$93 - WTF? That seems awfully steep to me. Does that have to do with the whole RFID crap?

/just askin'

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 02:22 PM

Kronos, don't forget you have to pay for passport photos too

I thought $97 was only for a new passport, and $67 is for renewal. My wife just got a new one.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Kronos, don't forget you have to pay for passport photos too

I thought $97 was only for a new passport, and $67 is for renewal. My wife just got a new one.
Oh, okay…must've mixed something up there. $67 is still a lot though, IMHO.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 02:36 PM

The more you get into dealing with government bureaucracies, you'll realize that $67 for passport renewal is a steal. Sad but true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules