Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Left 4 Dead demo is out

Left 4 Dead demo is out
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2008, 03:20 PM

out on Steam and Xbox 360.
It's awesome.

a friend and I were diving thru streets, and I accidently shot a car. The alarm pierces the silent streets, and all we hear is smashing of glass as tons of zombies pour out an office block ahead of us. We dash into a shop around the corner, slam the door and watch as the zombies tear through the door and smash the windows. Insane.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2008, 04:29 PM

I played some of the demo online with three other people last night.
I think this game will be very good if you play with the proper people. Often we had someone run off by themselves or the other people were too busy trying to find items instead of helping the downed survivors which ruined the game.

I did have a few games with the correct people. People who closed all the doors so the zombies had to claw through -- buying us a few seconds and the advantage of being able to shoot through the holes in the door -- people who used their health to heal others and people who all kept together and protected each other.
That was a great experience.

This game made me realize how truly screwed I am if my town ever gets overrun by zombies.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2008, 04:55 PM

this and GOW2 Horde mode require good teamwork, I love it.
we don't have time to stop for gas

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2008, 08:39 PM

I'll have to get this ASAP

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2008, 09:37 PM

I got the trial from Steam.

I'm not very good at it, but I like it. Any game where I can fire at a huge mass of zombies is good

I'll have to play it a bit more and see if I can get any good at it.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 13, 2008, 03:19 AM

played multiplayer on advanced for the first time today. lots of fun. a pity that there are so many glitches with it and my video card (no problems with any other valve games).

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 11:05 AM

I'll have to try it out, thanks.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2008, 04:45 PM

A-hahaha, great game! Just finished the demo levels with some online jerks and I love it already. Definitely going to pick up this game when it releases.

Very intense when you hit a car, the alarm goes off, and about 50 Zombies start pouring out from all over the place.

Valve, you've done it again.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2008, 04:47 PM

I need to remember to dl this demo when I get home.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
A-hahaha, great game! Just finished the demo levels with some online jerks and I love it already. Definitely going to pick up this game when it releases.

Very intense when you hit a car, the alarm goes off, and about 50 Zombies start pouring out from all over the place.

Valve, you've done it again.
I was hoping this would suck (even though Valve never disappointed) my wallet is hurting, this might be a purchase.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
a friend and I were diving thru streets, and I accidently shot a car. The alarm pierces the silent streets, and all we hear is smashing of glass as tons of zombies pour out an office block ahead of us. We dash into a shop around the corner, slam the door and watch as the zombies tear through the door and smash the windows. Insane.
That is going to be fun.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 14, 2008 at 02:56 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 02:34 PM

After beating it a few times on normal I decided to give it a whirl on Advanced (which is 'hard' for this game).

Muuuuch harder, barely made it to the first checkpoint with my 3 randomly-chosen XBL compadres.

One word of advice, stay the hell away from the Witch, she's not worth the hassle.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2008, 01:38 PM

FFS, between GoW2, Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Cod:Waw and Left 4 Dead I'll never get off the bloody Xbox.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 05:28 AM

Did anybody else wind up getting the actual game? I got it the other day, but haven't had a chance to play that much yet. This game is hard on expert, especially the freakin' Tank — he can take so much abuse, it's insane. Also, I kind of suck as the infected in versus mode.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

elrah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 01:13 PM

I have the actual game, although I haven't played it that much (not game related).

On my second online outing I hit Quick Play. I found myself on Dead Air expert mode...

3 hour later, I survived.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:24 PM

I got it yesterday. Played co-op with a buddy of mine. It was really fun. Very intense. Can't wait to play more.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

i have the full game as well.

takes a fair bit of practice to get the hang of playing the infected. but the satisfaction of knocking a survivor off a tall building as the tank is something that shouldn't be missed.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 12:28 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 02:08 PM

Dam! I just picked up Little Big Planet for the PS3 yesterday. Dakar, Bogues & Fatty are you guys getting this game?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2008, 03:33 PM

I'm getting it for Xmas.

I'm literally in cold sweats waiting it out right now.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 02:06 PM

So sek and I have this now. We happened to run into chuckit yesterday and we played the lat level 30 times for sek *and at the end he didn't get his achievement). The only thing that made it worthwhile is that in my infinite genius, I lit up a tank and avoided him until he died, accidentally netting us the Tankbusters achievement. On Advanced.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 05:08 PM

Not that I have many complaints about this game, but I wish it remembered what stages of each level you've beaten before so you could incrementally beat each stage for the achievements.

Also worthy of note: Dakar and I beat two stages last night (Death Toll and Dead Air) and ended up at the exact same time of beating them (1 hour and 1 minute) CREEEEEeeeeePY!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 05:11 PM

Not that I have many complaints about this game, but I wish it remembered what stages of each level you've beaten before so you could incrementally beat each stage for the achievements.
I did notice, however, it is doing GoW2-like tracking of achievements in the game menu.

I didn't see the crazy 53,000+ achievement listed in there, though.

---

This game would be great with a crew 4 NNers, VS. or not.

Edit: If you want real fun, you can make a drinking game out of the amount of times I say "Oh sh¡t" . I swear I was averaging 5 upc (utterances per campaign yesterday)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 07:06 PM

Heh, I just played through No Mercy again for my achievement with a dude from Scotland. I was able to understand him solely due to my familiarity with Trainspotting. He was constantly saying "Oh f**kin ell mate!"

Of course I ended up dying moments before the chopper arrived so I still have yet to earn that achievement...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 07:33 PM

You poor ****.

I'm good to meet-up after 10 tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2008, 07:39 PM

I am actually working tomorrow (OMG don't tell the Government!) so I'll see how early I think I can force myself to go to bed by.

Which means, yes, yes I'll play tonight. The lot I played with were all L4D n00bs, I expect a slightly smoother run on Normal with somebody who knows what they are doing.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 AM

So, is it under the table? Temporary?

Another campaign down. I have to say I loved my pot in the barn. I only had 3 spots to cover, and aside from a Boomer that surprised me, it went off without a hitch.

I'm up for helping finish No Mercy whenever. Lemme know.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 12:55 PM

It's something small, so under the table.

It still seems as if Chukit was right, and the finale for No Mercy is the hardest one (of course that was the only one I tried on Advanced)

I'll probably be on about the same time again tonight...once NM is done I think our next task should be expert.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 12:58 PM

Expert, eh? I can't wait to be the anchor of that campaign. And by anchor, I mean the weight that hold you back from progressing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 01:03 PM

The only thing that worries me about expert is those damn smokers in large areas. In normal I'd be able to fight my way back to safety, I doubt that's the case in expert.

If nothing else I want the achievement for beating one map on expert. We can then judge how hard/maddening/time-consuming it was and see whether or not it would be worth it trying for the others.

I suggest Blood Harvest for the first expert map, we really nailed the finale last night.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 01:06 PM

I agree, the Blood Harvest finale was the best managed on my part, and I thought you guys did fine as well.

My issue is take your damn time. Far as I can tell, the Zombies aren't infinite -- so stick together and move slowly.

My biggest thing is trying to get to high ground or retreating to confined areas immediately before hordes set in. I'd rather have a single puller than everyone putting their life on the line.

Which reminds me, we really need a full NN crew on this. Too bad everyone is enjoying post-xmas gorging on what they got.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 01:11 PM

I like moving slowly, makes the experience more real.

It's not like the ammo is so scarce that you need to run through killing only as you need, plus why not blow the heads off of as many zombies as possible?

Charlie needs to help us, he's the resident expert. Past that, I don't know anyone else with the game.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 02:22 PM

http://espion4ge.wordpress.com/2008/...rt-difficulty/

Lots of good stuff in there, some that I already surmised, and some interesting tidbits, such as this:
There are two ways of dealing with the Tank: killing him through direct damage or lighting him on fire and letting him burn to death. One common error that players make is not realizing that the two should not be mixed. While it makes more common sense that if the Tank is on fire and you’re shooting at it, the damage from your weapons and him being on fire should stack. They don’t. In fact, when the Tank is on fire, he takes no damage at all. It simply puts him on a timer where once a certain number of seconds have elapsed, he will just die (the number of seconds is higher based on difficulty level).
But more importantly, this little tidbit:
on Expert it will generally take an hour to complete one of the five acts in a campaign. For planning purposes, expect the finale to take about two hours, and give your team an hour for each of the other four levels. That means six hours to complete a campaign on Expert.
This sounds like a weekend excursion, preferably with 4 NNers.

---

My advice: Lets go through on easy and try and rack up some achievements, and become more familiar with the AI cues and levels.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 04:21 PM

Wow, and I thought Horde mode was a time-eater.

Edit: Also, excellent bit of info about the flaming tank, I always shoot him when he's on fire.
( Last edited by sek929; Dec 30, 2008 at 04:28 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 05:24 PM

Edit: Also, excellent bit of info about the flaming tank, I always shoot him when he's on fire.
It's a little retarded, and I don't wonder if they want you to waste your time doing that. But at least we know now, light and run.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 05:32 PM

I don't know if you guys have noticed yet, but something that comes in really handy on expert: Meleeing is invincibility. If you get vomited on, stand in a corner and hold in left-trigger and you won't take any damage except from smokers or tanks. You can even knock hunters away mid-pounce.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 05:34 PM

The tips link heavily plays up the meleeing thing.

At any choke point, your setup should be two guys at the front of the choke crouching and only meleeing, while the two guys behind them standing and shooting. After a few melee attacks on Expert difficult, the regular Infected will die but the main goal of doing that is really to prevent any of them from getting close enough to attack any of you. Two guys up front meleeing while two guys in back shooting at a chokepoint means no one on the team will take damage.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
It's a little retarded, and I don't wonder if they want you to waste your time doing that. But at least we know now, light and run.
I've noticed the same behavior with the run-of-the-mill zombies too. If they run through flames and end up on fire you can't down them with bullets, you need to let them burn.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 06:01 PM

That's just evil.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 06:34 PM

So is this game worth buying at full price or what? I might pick up this game today so I can play with you guys tonight. (I'm still kicking myself for not getting it when it was $40 on Amazon a few weeks ago.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
The tips link heavily plays up the meleeing thing.
I thought it didn't quite make it clear that one person meleeing alone can be a winning strategy even if you're separated from your group or they're all dead. The ability to simply whack zombies away in this game didn't really click with me until I'd actually beaten off an entire horde and then proceeded to beat the accompanying hunter to death too. Maybe other people are quicker than I am, though.
Chuck
___

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 06:40 PM

Can more than 2 players play in campaign mode?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Four players can play co-op. There's a limit of two on a single Xbox. Eight people can play in versus mode (four survivors, four infected).
Chuck
___

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 10:50 PM

So is this game worth buying at full price or what? I might pick up this game today so I can play with you guys tonight. (I'm still kicking myself for not getting it when it was $40 on Amazon a few weeks ago.)
I believe Steam still has their holiday sale going. You get some kind of small percent off. 10% or 15% I think.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 10:58 PM

That wouldn't help him play with us on Xbox Live.
Chuck
___

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 30, 2008, 11:01 PM

i have this for the old fashioned computer box, otherwise i'd play with you fine folks.

oh, and expert is gnarly. i managed to avoid getting hit until the end of the hospital finale, but then...well, a couple zombie swipes and you're toast.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 11:53 PM

This is closer to being the multi experience everyone was hoping for with Gears. And with the versus mode, we could actually have 8 NNers playing at once.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2008, 01:36 AM

Running to the helicopter I get: Attacked by a hunter, puked on by a boomer, and smashed by a tank all while being swarmed by dozens of zombies.

So no, I didn't get the achievement this time either...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 01:39 AM

This post in memory of

FattyMcBlobicus

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 01:44 AM

Running to the helicopter I get: Attacked by a hunter, puked on by a boomer, and smashed by a tank all while being swarmed by dozens of zombies.
The best part was as I was running I spotted the hunter and fired at him a few times. Then I heard you pinned, turned around, cleared them out, then the tank comes, clear them out, you die, get smacked by the tank twice, fought off a mini swarm at the helipad and still made it.

So yeah, that's some brutal luck.

And that guy was annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules