Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Speed-Up Utility

Speed-Up Utility
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2000, 02:53 PM

Hello, everyone!

I'd like to reccomend to everyone a utility that will speed-up your system's performance dramatically.

For those people with a huge surplus of RAM, I would reccomend you to download Reaper from www.versiontracker.com . Just search for "Reaper", and download it.

This will allow you to expand the heap size of applications. With this utility, my PowerBook is about twice as fast as it was.

To suck every last drop of performance out of your machine, delete all the applications from the list, and set the "Defaults" heap growth to 200%, and the "Read-Only Application" sizes to 200%. Trust me, this will dramatically increase performance. The only drawback: 200% more RAM will be used for each and every application. I think it's worth it if you have 256 megabytes of RAM. If you have 128 megabytes, it's going to be a little crammed, but if you can stand having only a few (maybe one or two) applications open, 128-192 megabytes of RAM will be fine.

also:Though this utility won't work on some computers, try the APM tuner, available at http://www01.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/gb3/eijim/index-E.html . There are directions on the site.

I hope these utilities will increase the speed on your systems dramatically.
Remember one thing: MacNN is not responsible for any damages that may be caused by the installation of this utility.

It's completely safe. I just have to save that to cover my "arse".

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 07-03-2000).]

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2000, 04:23 PM

Hey, can you get some real world tests from this, I would like to see some numbers as to how much better the performance is...

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2000, 04:47 PM

It feels faster!

I don't really have any benchmarking programs.

Any ideas on where I can get some (free) utilities to test the speed of my system?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 3, 2000, 05:30 PM

Get the free MacBench 5.0 here.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2000, 06:04 PM

anyone know what a barnstormer was?

an ace that flew by the seat of his pants... common sense and sharp observational powers, etc...

paraphrasing the immortal bandito from the movie 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre':
"i don't need no stinkin' benchmarks"

and besides that, your mileage will vary regardless, no?? so d/l it and benchmark your own machine and prove to yourself in the only way that seems valid to you whether or not it does the deed

this is why i sometimes/often do not bother to share some of the tweaks i use/know of... people wanna break out the microscope and analyze instead of trying it and seeing for themselves

is the water cold? not to me, maybe to you... jump in and see

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2000, 06:19 PM

THESE ARE REPOSTS due to a multiple posting...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
sean,

It looks like "Reaper" has similarities to "Nine 11," which several websites warned against using a few months ago, including MacFixIt, as well as others. I don't recall exactly what the warnings were because of (search the archives at macfixit.com), but the warnings were fairly stern.

I'm all for speeding things up, but only if the utilities won't hose my new Pismo!

iBorg

IP: Logged

gmsmith

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow!!! This app (Reaper) does a nice job. How long you been running it? Noticed any instabilities?

Peace,
G

IP: Logged

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2000, 06:40 PM

No instabilities, whatsoever. I've been running it for two days.

My system gets a score of 1511 in the processor test, and a 1631 in the floating point test.

In the disk test, my system scored a 1317, and in the publishing test, it got a 990.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2000, 07:13 PM

Hmm, well I installed it and I have no performance increases whatsoever, I don't feel any difference... actually, macbench clocks my system lower than what it actually is, so I guess Reaper does not work quite well for my mac...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2000, 07:47 PM

My only concern (as posted when this was on the other forum page) is the incorporation of "Nine 11," which is also a product of the same programmer. As the download page says of the current version of "Reaper": "Version 1.3.2 will now install itself with Nine 11 and let it handle the cases it doesn't."

Ted Landau of MacFixIt, in his "Troubleshooting OS 9" archive, has a warning about "Nine 11" and "Reaper":

"We advise extreme caution in using this software to disable the 119 error message in Mac OS 9. Even if this allows the program to launch, it does not mean the program is really okay to use with Mac OS 9. There may be some conflict that will only emerge after several minutes of use, or only after selecting a specific command. In general, the 119 error is there for a good reason and should not be bypassed."

I'm all in favor of speeding up my Pismo 500, but I want to hear about LOTS of people using this app, problem-free, for awhile before I'll use it. Just a note of caution to consider!

iBorg

[This message has been edited by iBorg (edited 07-03-2000).]
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 09:46 AM

Hi,

the link to APM Tuner X is dead, can you post a link to a copy? Or email it to me at [email protected]?

Thanks

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Hello, everyone!

I'd like to reccomend to everyone a utility that will speed-up your system's performance dramatically.

For those people with a huge surplus of RAM, I would reccomend you to download Reaper from www.versiontracker.com . Just search for "Reaper", and download it.

This will allow you to expand the heap size of applications. With this utility, my PowerBook is about twice as fast as it was.

To suck every last drop of performance out of your machine, delete all the applications from the list, and set the "Defaults" heap growth to 200%, and the "Read-Only Application" sizes to 200%. Trust me, this will dramatically increase performance. The only drawback: 200% more RAM will be used for each and every application. I think it's worth it if you have 256 megabytes of RAM. If you have 128 megabytes, it's going to be a little crammed, but if you can stand having only a few (maybe one or two) applications open, 128-192 megabytes of RAM will be fine.

also:Though this utility won't work on some computers, try the APM tuner, available at http://www01.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/gb3/eijim/index-E.html . There are directions on the site.

Remember one thing: MacNN is not responsible for any damages that may be caused by the installation of this utility.

Enjoy!

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 09:49 AM

Note: Reaper is for OS 9, not X.

slim

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Hello, everyone!

Enjoy!

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 05:54 PM

dp.
( Last edited by ARENA; Jan 23, 2003 at 06:17 PM. )

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 06:00 PM

Well, yes. Check out the dates in the posts, this thread was started on 2000.

Originally posted by slimmy:
Note: Reaper is for OS 9, not X.

slim

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 12:23 PM

Holy forum necromancy Batman!

renpar61
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Holy forum necromancy Batman!
You on drugs?

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2003, 03:29 PM

How the hell did we get a 3 year old post to show????

Forum Links
Forum Rules