Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where to buy the Powerbook?

Where to buy the Powerbook?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 08:07 PM

I've noticed that there are many sites to buy the Powerbook 12', but I've only noticed that Apple is the one that allows you to configure it....

Should I buy from them (w/ educational discount) or from another site that allows for configuring?

And, will the eduacational discount be 'better' than a price I'd get from another site...

thanks...

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 08:25 PM

hi. I was in the same situation. Basically the only places that I know of to buy the 12" BTO is either direct from Apple or from Smalldog.com. At Apple you get the education discount, but you have to pay tax, free shipping. At Smalldog, you don't have to pay tax, but you don't get an education discount and I believe they charge for shipping. Do the math and figure out which is best for you. The difference for me was about $20 cheaper at Smalldog but I ordered from Apple since i hope to get it sooner.

HTH, and if anyone knows better places to get a BTO please tell, I would love to save some money!

007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 09:03 PM

I've been tryin' to figure it out since I finally decided to get it....

It comes down to...

Educational discount w/ Apple or buying it cheaper from an other site...

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 09:44 PM

If you don't want a BTO then you have tons of options. Check out www.powerbookcentral.com to track all the prices and bundles. There are free airport extreme cards, ram, printer, etc. available, but you will not be able to get a BTO with Superdrive, 60GB HD from these resellers. Makes the Combo drive 12" a much better deal than the SD 12" IMHO.

007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
If you don't want a BTO then you have tons of options. Check out www.powerbookcentral.com to track all the prices and bundles. There are free airport extreme cards, ram, printer, etc. available, but you will not be able to get a BTO with Superdrive, 60GB HD from these resellers. Makes the Combo drive 12" a much better deal than the SD 12" IMHO.
Is there any stores out there that offer configuration choices other than Apple the these right now?

Thanks...

ebisix
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by 007:
Is there any stores out there that offer configuration choices other than Apple the these right now?

Thanks...
I believe that Apple is the only one currently. Hopefully this will change soon.

007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by ebisix:
I believe that Apple is the only one currently. Hopefully this will change soon.
Thanks very much...

I guess I'll hafta get it through Apple then right now....no big deal since the education discount pretty much evens out the tax and shipping...

Forum Links
Forum Rules