Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tysons/Clarendon Have AE Base and Cards!

Tysons/Clarendon Have AE Base and Cards!
iYoda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 03:55 PM

Airport Extreme Base stations (modem) have arrived at the Tysons corner (VA) and Clarendon (VA) stores. However, only Clarendon has the Airport Extreme cards.

I know, my use of smiles is kinda ............. extreme.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by iYoda:
Airport Extreme Base stations (modem) have arrived at the Tysons corner (VA) and Clarendon (VA) stores. However, only Clarendon has the Airport Extreme cards.

I know, my use of smiles is kinda ............. extreme.
And the Apple Store is reporting 3-5 day shipping. Looks like they are coming.

jw

iYoda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 09:55 AM

I called Tysons and Clarendon on the availablity of AE base stations and cards. I specified that I wanted the BS w/ the modem ($249). The salesman stated that they only had the modem ones and that he would hold 2 BS's and one AE card aside for me. I live 1.5 hours from Clarendon. When I got there the salesman informed me that the BS's they had were not the modem ones. They only had the non-modem ($199) model. I was not happy ! In his defense the box is for both models and aside from the little sticker, there is no way to know exactly know which one is in the box. I sure there will be many people who get the wrong one.

Tony

P.S. I left the store though, if not happy, content. I bought the AE card and he gave me half off ($50) for the goof with the BS. Kodos for that Appple.

dencamp
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 10:01 AM

iYoda, that truly sucks. But an hour and a half from DC to Clarendon? Are you walking?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2003, 10:15 AM

But the new AE cards wont fit a pre-2003 mac.. c'mon apple.. for ONCE let us have one tiny upgradable portion of our macs.. I only bought this thing 2 months ago.. would it be THAT hard to make it the same form??

-Mark

penmanila
Jan 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

the AE cards are available right now at the menlo park, NJ apple store.

iYoda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by MarkLT1:
But the new AE cards wont fit a pre-2003 mac.. c'mon apple.. for ONCE let us have one tiny upgradable portion of our macs.. I only bought this thing 2 months ago.. would it be THAT hard to make it the same form??

-Mark
Mark,

Apple has it right. And you don't quit understand. The existing "bus" that the airport card plugged into on the prior machines will not support the data throughput of the new 802.11g cards. So even if they made a compatible card, you would not get much benefit. Apple did all they could to support older systems by using 802.11g and the new card slots are not proprietary. The new slot is a mini PCI standard slot.

So, "would it be THAT hard to make it the same form??". No, it would be impossible.

iyoda

P.S. I live out by Front Royale. And in traffic, 1.5 hr is a conservitive est.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 03:39 PM

The STL Apple Store has the APX cards as of yesterday...

Forum Links
Forum Rules