Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best price on 12-inch PB?

Best price on 12-inch PB?
mo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2003, 05:11 PM

My college (U. of Missouri) is having a sale on the 12-inch PowerBook with combo drive. It's $1499, which comes to $1609.18 with sales tax. Anybody seen a better deal than this one, or close?

They still have about 15 in stock, so I suppose I better quit mulling it over and just run over there -- that's pretty close to what I was thinking about paying for an iBook last fall.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 10:02 PM

i payed $1768, or $1913 with tax, for my 12" pb. it has a superdrive and airport built in. i got it through a friend at san jose state university. the only problem with buying it through the college is that it will take at least 10 business to get, if not more.

mo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2003, 10:09 PM

That's the weird thing about it -- these are in stock. You can leave the store with one. They have a pile of them marked at $1499. I asked them to double-check the price, and they told me it's correct. I asked how that was possible, and the clerk said that they had "gotten a good deal from Apple."

I'm always skeptical about statements like that -- I can't figure out why Apple would OK a discount beyond the educational price on a brand-new and apparently hot-selling product. But since it's a university Apple shop instead of a fly-by-night operation, I suppose I should just do it.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 10:13 PM

go for it, thats cool. does it come with airport? i think at sjsu they dropped the price because they are putting a wireless network in the campus and want people to have wireless computers.

mimosa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 10:54 PM

don't worry about the price. I got mine for the same price $1499. It is a special edu discount for some universities. It's a great deal.

-mimosa

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 12:17 AM

There is no standard edu discount. Apple gives different universities different prices, based on stuff like volume of sales, size of campus, etc.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by mo:
That's the weird thing about it -- these are in stock. You can leave the store with one. They have a pile of them marked at $1499. I asked them to double-check the price, and they told me it's correct. I asked how that was possible, and the clerk said that they had "gotten a good deal from Apple."

I'm always skeptical about statements like that -- I can't figure out why Apple would OK a discount beyond the educational price on a brand-new and apparently hot-selling product. But since it's a university Apple shop instead of a fly-by-night operation, I suppose I should just do it.
Coupla questions, mo:

1) what the configuration of the 12'? Is it BTO or the 256mb mem model?

2) Do you hafta be a local MU student or can a student from the STL area pick up one should I drive there?

Thanks,

mo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by 007:
Coupla questions, mo:

1) what the configuration of the 12'? Is it BTO or the 256mb mem model?

2) Do you hafta be a local MU student or can a student from the STL area pick up one should I drive there?

Thanks,

It's not BTO; it's the 256MB combo drive model -- just the ones they have in stock. And you have to have a student or staff ID from here. (Or a friend with a student or staff ID from here, I guess.)

Hey, I didn't realize that there is no standard educational discount. That's interesting, thanks. I think I'll go for this (provided the wife doesn't use her veto power).

mo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2003, 09:52 PM

I think this is the end of the thread; my wife got tired of me dithering about the price and went to the computer store and bought it. My new G4 PowerBook was sitting on a chair at home when I got back from work. Here's to marital bliss.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by mo:
I think this is the end of the thread; my wife got tired of me dithering about the price and went to the computer store and bought it. My new G4 PowerBook was sitting on a chair at home when I got back from work. Here's to marital bliss.
Lucky you!! I got to talk a long long time to persuade my wife that I needed a new powerbook...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by mo:

Same price at my university as well. Go for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules