Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Stuffit Automatically decompressing, how to stop?

Stuffit Automatically decompressing, how to stop?
Sosa
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 10:00 PM

Greetings,

I'm try to download a Mac playstation emulator, FireStorm, and I'm supposed to tar the file using terminal rather than Stuffit. However whenever I download the file Stuffit automatically unzips and tars it, making it inoperable for some reason.

I dragged my stuffit file to the trash can, hoping it wouldn't work from there, but it still did. I went to drag it back out and its gone! I had not emptied the trash! Search for it with finder and find other related files but not the folder or applications. Well, it is still automatically unzipping the file before I can stop it!

How do I stop Stuffit from automatically working?
Where is my Stuffit applications and folder?! (I have since deleted the trash)
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 10:16 PM

not getting into the where's my stuffit etc stuff at the moment....but to get you the file.....did you try just "right-click" or "control-click" on the d/l link and choosing "save link to disk?" that will usually bypass the auto-expand.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 10:16 PM

Well I found out why it was automatically unstuffing, had that option enabled in Safari. However I still don't know what the hell happened to my Stuffit Expander folder and applications!

Now I just have to figure out how this FlareStorm emulator works. Will take it over to Games section.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules