Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help me win Mac v. PC debate in my law school

Help me win Mac v. PC debate in my law school (Page 2)
kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 05:59 PM

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Yes, it does it appears.

Us on the outside get proper internet links, and they work at they should.

For some reason you on the inside get served a different page with Windows networking paths. The "\\lawstream.fiu.edu" is the server name, "\video" is the share name, and then "\Smith" is a folder name that contains the .wmv video file.

You could browse to these files on your mac by doing the following in the Finder. Hit Apple-K to open the connect to server window and type "smb://lawstream.fiu.edu/video" and hit connect. It should show up as a drive basicially, and let you use Finder to browse the folders.

There is a good chance what they are doing is very IE and Windows specific internally. I can't think of a good technical reason to do this, but the proper solution would either to be to serve the same page internally and externally, or at least do "If IE do above file:// method, otherwise do mms://". That way existing people still see the same setup, and non IE users on any platform get a standard Internet compliant URL.
Your explanation is right on point, thanks. After speaking to one of their IT guys, this was confimed. Basically they are using MMS (microsoft media stream) to feed the video to those connecting from outside the local network. However they are using "Universal Naming Convention" to feed those inside the network with higher frame rates.

MMS, even though it has microsoft in its name, works fine with Safari as you guys have confirmed. UNC doesn't, how strange. I have made the suggestion of your query to them. They said it would require some work, let's see if their boss (the guy I argued with) approves it. I'm willing to take this beyond him though.

Thank you all for your comments.

PS BTW I was unable to access the server directly using Apple-K because it is password protected. Using guest log in did not work.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
The University of Minnesota law program require Windows for their test programs. These test programs basically lock out everything in windows, except the program, so that you can't cheat. VPC is not an option, because you can get around their security. Which is overall very sad, seeing how there are quite a few Macs on the U of M campus. So I'm told.
The program used at my school is examsoft.com. I've tried emailing them about Mac support, I believe they said they had no plans for Macs right now. Bastards.
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
The program used at my school is examsoft.com. I've tried emailing them about Mac support, I believe they said they had no plans for Macs right now. Bastards.

And they won't. If you run examsoft in Mac OS through VPC you can have access to your entire system. That defeats the purpose of the program and I doubt the company will make a version of the program for OSX. So as I said, you will need a PC laptop for exams. Some schools are dumping the program but I guess yours isn't one of them.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 05:29 PM

Perhaps there is still hope for a Mac Examsoft
Here is the reply I got yesterday from the law school exam application used on student's laptops:

RE: Mac Support for Examsoft

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the use of SofTest on a Mac
operating system. Unfortunately at this time, we do not support Mac
operating systems. When our secure exam-taking software was developed,
it was done based upon the Windows platform due to their distribution
and the comparative ease of development. These factors enable us to
maintain and continue development to keep the program commercially
viable.

We continue to research viable alternatives to support Mac OS's yet
provide the same level of security and reliability of our Windows-based
program. As of this time, we have been unsuccessful in doing so. For
this reason, SofTest currently cannot be used securely on a Mac OS even
through utilization of PC emulation software.

We have, however, recently funded a new R&D project based upon new
developments we have researched to determine if we can design and
support and Mac version of SofTest.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention and the
best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

Technical Support
ExamSoft Worldwide Inc.
( Last edited by Sosa; Oct 15, 2004 at 05:42 PM. )
Join Team MacNN.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
However they are using "Universal Naming Convention" to feed those inside the network with higher frame rates.

PS BTW I was unable to access the server directly using Apple-K because it is password protected. Using guest log in did not work.
Run and hide. The IT people sound like they went through a MSCE bootcamp before taking the job, meaning they likely lack any practical knowledge. I have never heard anyone but a book trained IT person even consider saying "Universal Naming Convention". Some use the acronym UNC, but almost everyone for clarity either says "Windows file shares" or "SMB"

As for the login problem, do you not have a Windows login account? If you do, use that when it prompts for username and password, and ask what the domain is.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules