Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are the worst/most disapointing games you have ever played?

What are the worst/most disapointing games you have ever played?
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 01:53 PM

I bought tons of games and I try to screen out the bad ones through reviews, sometimes even though the reviews are positive I end up hating the game because either the reviewer was in fabboy mode (ign) or the game is just not my type.

Nintendo (original):
Jekyll and hyde: I have no clue what this game was about. You walk side scrolling as Jekyll suddenly and randomly lightning strikes and you turn into hyde and everything is now nighttime with bad things flying around trying to kill you. Then for no reason you turn back to Jekyll. I am still mad at myself for buying this game.

SuperNintendo:
Some robot killer instinct that looked cool but was so easy to beat. All you had to do was tap the A button over and over and you would beat the crap out of the bad guy every time. No need to use the other controls. The worst part was it cost much more then normal games.

N64:
Killer instinct. I don't know how they did it but the N64 version was actually WORSE than the Supernintendo one (which was awesome). They took out the cool characters and the voice overs for combos. I actually thought there was something wrong with my game and exchanged it as i couldn't understand how it no longer had a voice over.

Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Neat idea but really annoying in reality. You had a time limit on everything and if you didn't make it you would have to repeat the whole thing over again. No time for adventure, just rush rush rush.

Xbox:
Star Wars: KOTOR. I think I don't like this game as RPG's just aren't my thing. I couldn't understand how I needed to gain 6 still points by fighting just to open doors. Not a bad game but not my thing at all. Perhaps I will try to pick things up with it again.

Halo 1: Overhyped. The first couple levels are ok but after that it is so repetitive with running up and down the same looking hall, backtracking and fighting the same 3 bad guys throughout the whole game. Not bad per say but no at all worth the hype. It was also rather short.

All current platforms:
Star Wars Bounty Hunter. Oh my god this game looked great in trailers and even got a good review on IGN but I think it was the worst thing I have got in years. It was so boring, the sound loops repeated themselves over and over, and the levels were poorly designed. I sold it a week later.

GameCube:
Super Mario Sunshine: After not having a Mario title for launch (Other then Luigi's Mansion) I thought that SMS would kick ass since they had more time to work on it. The game turned out to be so incredibly ugly, repetitive as all hell (spay water on a puzzle) and with tiny worlds. Mario64 beat it in every way even graphics.

Oh I hear Michael Jacksons "Moonwalker" for Nintendo was really bad but I never tried it.

What games have you been disappointed by?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 01:56 PM

Sonic Heroes
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Neat idea but really annoying in reality. You had a time limit on everything and if you didn't make it you would have to repeat the whole thing over again. No time for adventure, just rush rush rush.
********. Anyone who played the game longer than two hours knew you could slow down time considerably and go back to the first day with ease. There was no rush. Also in dungeons and buildings, time stopped, so you could mess around in a dungeon for hours and not have to worry about getting to the city in Termina before the third day.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
********. Anyone who played the game longer than two hours knew you could slow down time considerably and go back to the first day with ease. There was no rush. Also in dungeons and buildings, time stopped, so you could mess around in a dungeon for hours and not have to worry about getting to the city in Termina before the third day.

Fine, either way I hated the hell out of it for more then just the time reasons. It stepped to far out of the Zelda theme, it was very unclear where to go next and it didn't look that nice.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Fine, either way I hated the hell out of it for more then just the time reasons. It stepped to far out of the Zelda theme, it was very unclear where to go next and it didn't look that nice.
It was the 64- and 32-bit era. Nothing looks nice.

What, you want them to put a sign up that says "Go here next!"
Figure it out. It wasn't that hard. There was backtracking, but you had to remember where you couldn't go and what you could use to get past it.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
I loved Majora's Mask

The two worst games I have ever bought were Crash Test Dummies and Ren & Stimpy, both for the original Gameboy.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2004, 02:10 PM

It's definitely not the worst game I've ever played, but I was pretty disappointed about Fable. Not at all what it was hyped up to be..

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 02:13 PM

Oh ya I forgot about this one. It was good action mixed in with stuff that was so bad it is almost a classic on what NOT to do.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
http://cube.ign.com/articles/455/455717p1.html

The N64 version was great. Part 2 for the GameCube launch was rather good. Part 3: Disaster. You would actually go from flying in an Xwing to a side scrolling luke on yodas planet jumping on platforms and avoiding snakes! It looked like something from SuperNintendo. This mixed in with the flying was really strange as they had mentioned many times before that people just want to command vehicles.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 02:17 PM

Journey. Video game. You decide.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 05:02 PM

So E.T. might be the worst ever:

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/atari.asp

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 05:15 PM

There is only one game that is bad enough to be mentioned.

No. I'm not going to say it's name. Still makes me feel ill, physically. **** that ****ing **** ****ing **** cocksucking mother****ing bastard hell crap of a torture!!!

Would you believe they are going to make a sequel?

Here -- and get me into reach of this 'Chris Taylor' and I'll slap him silly
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 05:18 PM

I dunno, this sucker sound horrid to me as you can't lose! It is like a game for retarded people or something.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/b...rr/review.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 06:40 PM

Ok this game sounds rather funny actually:
"In Baby Moses, your job is to carry Baby Moses through the desert. I'm not much of a Bible reader, so I don't know what this story's about. All I know is that every single spider in that ****ing desert wants to kill Baby Moses. You can throw the baby at them, but neither he or the spiders get hurt. Baby Moses just bounces a few times and smiles. And it doesn't take more than a couple minutes for the game to degenerate into me throwing Baby Moses into a river, watching him sink, then pretending it was an accident."

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm19.htm

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
There is only one game that is bad enough to be mentioned.

No. I'm not going to say it's name. Still makes me feel ill, physically. **** that ****ing **** ****ing **** cocksucking mother****ing bastard hell crap of a torture!!!

Would you believe they are going to make a sequel?

Here -- and get me into reach of this 'Chris Taylor' and I'll slap him silly
Dungeon Siege wasn't too bad. Star Trek: Elite Force, well,S tar Trek meets Unreal. Ick. Oh and who can forget the glory that was Sim City 3000. Terrible port. Dog slow on the top of the line Macs at the time.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Dungeon Siege wasn't too bad. Star Trek: Elite Force, well,S tar Trek meets Unreal. Ick. Oh and who can forget the glory that was Sim City 3000. Terrible port. Dog slow on the top of the line Macs at the time.
DungeonShit (as I affectionatly call it ever after playing it) may have redeeming qualities.. it is the most disappointing game I've payed for. Damn I regret those �50.

The box claims it is an RPG - well it's not. Disappointing.
The box claims great graphics - well they're not. Mediocre.
I was hoping for an interesting or at least a solid plot - well there isn't. major disappointment.
After playing it for some time I realized I didn't care either way how the plot turned out.

It was linear and boring with 0% RPG elements in it.

Oh and *the* most boring monsters ever seen in a computer game. They came by the legions too. Fortunately battle was automatic so you didn't actually have to think or react much.

It is very telling about DS that the most valuable NPC was the pack mule. PACK. MULE.
In fact in the expansion (PC only thankfully) they add ANOTHER pack animal. The excitement.

Wow. I can't talk about this game without getting all wound up. Sorry MacGorilla, if you like it more power to ya. In my book it was the most disappointing game I've ever tried.

Review: http://www.pcgameworld.com/review.ph...Dungeon_Siege/

(PS. I loved the Diablo series!!)

Excerpt from a review at http://www.gamechronicles.com/review...geon/siege.htm

I�ll admit that the stunning visuals initially blinded me to the gameplay hidden beneath, and for nearly 20 hours I beat my way across the land of Ehb, through forests, crypts, mountains, an abandoned mine, and the snowcapped mountains near the city of Glacern. As I began the third chapter I stopped to assess my feelings for this game and write this review.

Bottom line � this game is nothing more that Gauntlet with fancier graphics and a more detailed RPG system. I�m sure thousands of you will disagree with this statement but if you look at the basic gameplay you will see it is true. In Gauntlet you lead 1-4 characters around beating up countless monsters, collecting gold, food, and magic items, defeat the occasional boss, then repeat on the next level which contains nothing but new scenery and new monsters.

In Dungeon Siege you lead 1-8 characters around beating up countless monsters, collecting gold and tons of equipment, defeat the occasional boss then move on to the next pretty level and do it all over again. See any similarities? The only difference is that Gauntlet never pretends to be anything other than what it is, while Dungeon Siege assumes this grandiose role as a groundbreaking RPG. The scary thing is that they actually fooled me for the first couple chapters.
for the review
( Last edited by voodoo; Nov 25, 2004 at 07:34 PM. )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 08:08 PM

anygame based on a movie:
1. because they have repetitive storylines if you've seen the movie
2. because they are poorly designed/coded because they only get a few months to work on them
3. because the storyline can be finished in a 2 hours like a movie
4. no physics engine whatsoever(at least not an accurate one)
5. multiplayer=crap

other than that overhyped games include halo halo 2 simcity 4 some mario games

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I thought Star trek Elite force was great. If you like star trek it is the best trek game ever. If you don't know anything about star trek it is still not bad.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2004, 09:08 PM

I thought Majora's Mask was great. I enjoyed it.

Only really disappointing game that I can think of now that I own is Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet. While I don't think it was that bad, I expected a lot more. Graphics were great. Story was weak.

Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:

Only really disappointing game that I can think of now that I own is Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet. While I don't think it was that bad, I expected a lot more. Graphics were great. Story was weak.
I actually enjoyed it even though it was a tech demo. The graphics were incredible but the whole game was really slow.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2004, 09:51 PM

tetris is so unrealistic

Counter Stike was a HUGE disapointment!

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 10:02 PM

I could list many worst games ever, but most of them aren't even worth thinking about. I will however list a few great dissapointments in my life:

Warcraft 3 (Mac) - I know a lot of you really liked this game, but I just couldn't get into it. I prefer the perspective and focus of Warcraft 2. The game was okay, but did not live up to my expectations, especially considering how much I loved the second one.

Mario Sunshine (GC) - I rented this one, thank god. If this the true sequel to Mario 64, Nintendo, you must be joking. If this game had been half decent I'd own a GameCube right now. I wont even bother mentioning Luigi's Mansion, but same deal.

Grandia 2 (DC) - Didn't capture the charm of the original. The story was annoying and I didn't like the characters. The gameplay was average. Overall, it was a great dissapointment for me.

There were quite a few dissapointments (and gems) with the Dreamcast. Most GameCube games have dissapointed me with the exception being Zelda The Wind Waker. In most instances, I have a pretty good idea if I'll like a game before I buy it. So besides the above mentioned games I've done pretty well.

I'm not really into games as much as I was when I was younger. Nor do I have all this spare time anymore. I guess you could say, other stuff has become more interesting...

later,
Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 10:59 PM

Jekyll and hyde NES, it was horrible. even with cheats, i couldn't pass the first level, got up to a singing opera lady, couldn't pass by her bouncy music notes. Traded it in, only game I ever gave away, got something awesome instead.

Killer instinct 64, I didn't notice the lack of voiceovers, but that was an awesome game, took a little learning, but it was the second or third best fighting game I've played (and I do NeoGeo, I've played a lot of them).

Halo was overhyped I guess, it wasn't really bad, the last level was cool, but shooting the same aliens over and over got annoying fast. Not quite sure how it was different from Unreal 2, Breed was even similar, just some nice tweaks in Halo that helped.

MJ's Moonwalker was an acceptable arcade game, never played it on console. Acceptable for a quarter, there's a lot out there that wasn't.

My own game comments....hmm....I disliked Thief, was told it was similar to Deus Ex, nope. Probably many N64 games, they were highly hyped, games like War Gods, Dark Ridge, etc, after a bit of playing it was terrible. I got bored of MortalKombatTrilogy fast, hardly ever played it. The King of Fighters and FF series was never my favorite....I'm probably the only one who didn't enjoy Doom and similar games in the same timeframe (too primitive, I play FPS all the time now, Quake3, UT2004, lots of fun). Glad to see the Gamecube games up there, some of the best games I played were N64 Nintendo-Made games, and I don't have a gamecube (emulation or the bargain bin will fix that eventually).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
Jekyll and hyde NES, it was horrible. even with cheats, i couldn't pass the first level, got up to a singing opera lady, couldn't pass by her bouncy music notes. Traded it in, only game I ever gave away, got something awesome instead.
I am just happy someone else in this world bought it and shares my pain. I still have it somewhere.

Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I thought Star trek Elite force was great. If you like star trek it is the best trek game ever. If you don't know anything about star trek it is still not bad.
The 7 of 9 character was the best part!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:09 AM

I hated Jurassic Park for the super nintendo. I was never able to beat it. I could never figure out how to stop the raptures from entering the command center. You can't save your progress in the game either.

Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
I hated Jurassic Park for the super nintendo. I was never able to beat it. I could never figure out how to stop the raptures from entering the command center. You can't save your progress in the game either.
Oh that reminds me, Turok 2 for N64 was sooo frustrating as the worlds were HUGE and the save points about 1 hour apart from one another.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 26, 2004, 01:15 AM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 01:40 AM

Turok 2 looked great but ran at about 10 frames a second. It was unplayable. The SNES robot game you are talking about is Rise of the Robots.

OTher than a few of the games listed, I'm having a hard time thinking of big dissapointments. I would have to add however, that I did find MAjora's MAsk to be a big letdown and I was unable to even beat it. (I beat Ocarina of Time 3 times)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:57 AM

The MOST disappointing for me was Pac-Man on the Atari 2600.

After all the hype and waiting for it, and all the waiting, you get rectangular "dots", terrible sound effects (despite the fact that it is very commonly used as stock sounds for any video game on TV shows), and slow, unresponsive gameplay.

And to make matters worse, it was like $60 after having your name on a waiting list.

Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
The SNES robot game you are talking about is Rise of the Robots.
My lord you are a star! Yep that was it!

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 26, 2004, 02:21 AM

Manhunt... so repetitive. I only wanted to play to see why it was banned.

Sacrifice... only because it was not the style of game I thought it would be.

Dj Boy... Sega Megadrive game.

I've played so many games a kid (lots of nintendo, super nintendo, master system, mega drive, mega CD) and still at it with my Mac, PC and GC

But I have a mental-block about the bads ones. Maybe my brain has erased them for me.

Interesting thread

MM-o4

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 03:43 AM

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 08:12 AM

as mentioned before:

StarWars - KOTOR
Warcraft 3

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2004, 08:44 AM

Gee... One of the first games I bought for the Amiga was Ivanhoe. It looked so DAMNED cool. I saved money for a month to afford it. I actually started crying when I played it. After enduring the game for a day I brought my dad to the store to try and get a refund, but those cold, cold bastards at Tradition wouldn't let me.

It's awful, I can't even bring myself to playing it on an emulator to this day - the memories still haunt me at night. But it taught me an important lessons: don't go by box pictures.
Steve is better tahn you!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 10:54 AM

I love 4x4Evo for MacOS9 and played it all the time but when I bought 4x4Evo2 for xBox I was really disappointed. It's like they tried to make it more realistic or something but all they did was make the trucks uncontrolable. I couldn't even find a decent camera angle to drive from anymore. People must have agreed because I never heard any more buzz about it after that either. Definitely my biggest disappointment as it was my favorite game and one of the main reasons I got an xBox in the first place.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
as mentioned before:

StarWars - KOTOR
Thats almost sinful... That was probably the best RPG i have ever played.

hayesk
Nov 26, 2004, 11:52 AM

CastleVania II (I think it was 2.) on the NES. Bought it, beat it in two evenings. I took it back on bough NES Hockey. Now that was a fun game. Better than that "Blades of Steel" crap!

"But in BoS you can fight!!!
"You can fight better in Punch-Out. I want hockey that doesn't suck"
"But the players in Nintendo Hockey are so cartoony."
"So what? The players can skate at a decent pace and I can see what's going on on the ice."

but I digress.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

Buffy the Vampire Slayer on XBox. Great reviews. Great graphics. Good controls. Oh my God, repetetive gameplay! Walk down spooky area. Vampire jumps out! Punch and kick the snot out of said vampire. Stick a stake in vampire. Vampire dies. Resume walking down spooky area. Vampire jumps out! Repeat ad nauseum.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2004, 01:08 PM

I remember buying Vixen for C64. The cover was SO hot, but the game stunk like dinoturds.

Got a really cool poster with it though:

(click for bigger)
( Last edited by nooon; Nov 26, 2004 at 01:16 PM. )

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 01:20 PM

Actually, I never liked Banjo Kazooie or any of the sequels for the N64. It seemed like everybody but me loved that game. I just found it stupid, boring and repetitive.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Actually, I never liked Banjo Kazooie or any of the sequels for the N64. It seemed like everybody but me loved that game. I just found it stupid, boring and repetitive.
My lord that is one of my fav games ever!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I love 4x4Evo for MacOS9 and played it all the time but when I bought 4x4Evo2 for xBox I was really disappointed. It's like they tried to make it more realistic or something but all they did was make the trucks uncontrolable. I couldn't even find a decent camera angle to drive from anymore. People must have agreed because I never heard any more buzz about it after that either. Definitely my biggest disappointment as it was my favorite game and one of the main reasons I got an xBox in the first place.
For your reference, the Mac (OS X) version of 4x4 Evo 2 is just fine and well worth a play.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by RiSE:
Counter Stike was a HUGE disapointment!
CounterStrike has become a huge disappointment. (Thanks to it's worthless player community.)

Worst game I've ever played?

Probably Daikatana. I don't think anyone liked that game.

More closer to home, Deus Ex 2. God that was depressing.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 02:08 PM

Not the worst game actually a very good game called Karnov for NES.

The reason I got so mad at it is because I loved the endings of games and it closed the story and gave you a feeling of closure.

Well Karnov was hard as hell and I worked my butt of to finish it. I got to the last boss, fought him a million times and when I finally beat him the screen went black and in white text it just said "Congratulations. The end." NOTHING ELSE! I was soo pissed off I went to the store and returned it telling them it would crash all the time

Shame I overreacted like that as it was a good game.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 02:28 PM

Super Mario Sunshine wasn't nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be. Sure, it probably wasn't worth buying, but it was still a decent game. And I don't know what you're smoking saying the graphics were bad.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 02:30 PM

Wow, it seems everyone that has been near Jekyll and Hyde hates it just as much as I do! Thank god I am not alone.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/polas/nes/jhyde.html

( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Nov 26, 2004 at 02:49 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
not to mention they killed console internet play...

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by steveismyman:
Gee... One of the first games I bought for the Amiga was Ivanhoe. It looked so DAMNED cool. I saved money for a month to afford it. I actually started crying when I played it. After enduring the game for a day I brought my dad to the store to try and get a refund, but those cold, cold bastards at Tradition wouldn't let me.

It's awful, I can't even bring myself to playing it on an emulator to this day - the memories still haunt me at night. But it taught me an important lessons: don't go by box pictures.
That game does look awsome! That's too bad that it was no good. For me right now I'd say Bomberman Jetters. It sucks. Really bad.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by steveismyman:

Did you cry cuz it sucked so bad or because you were so happy to finally get it? What was so bad about it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules