Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod in your car

iPod in your car
d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2004, 06:40 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Neo from http://www.mp3yourcar.com/. It hooks up to the CD changer port on many different stock stereos and fools the stereo into thinking the iPod is a CD changer. In my case I have VW Passat with a CD changer port in a compartment inside the trunk. The Neo and iPod should fit in there just fine.

I'm wondering if anybody here has bought one and does it work as advertised.

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 06:56 PM

I used an RCA input to auxillary input adapter from Radio Shack, then a SiK imp to get the sound out of the iPod and into the auxillary input adapter.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 07:29 PM

ipod holder $5 at pepboys!

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

d0ubled0wn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2004, 07:37 PM

That's fine if your stereo has auxiliary inputs. But factory stereos generally don't. I just want something that integrates well with my factory stereo. The Neo sounds great, although pricey.

RGB
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
That's fine if your stereo has auxiliary inputs. But factory stereos generally don't. I just want something that integrates well with my factory stereo. The Neo sounds great, although pricey.
Yeah. I installed a Kenwood deck with inputs on the back to make this all happen.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 11:44 PM

Saab just announced iPod integration for the 93. Not our 95 tho

d0ubled0wn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 12:16 AM

I've found something that may be better than the Neo iON,
PIE VWR/PC-POD
It's for Volkswagens only which works for me, and it's cheaper and has more iPod navigational control.

Another solution I've found:
Dension iceLink Plus

jer1122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 05:12 PM

I called my local Saab dealership in excitement the minute I read this. Unfortunately, I talked to local and Saab Corporate techs which confirmed that they DO have a kit in the center console that will power the iPod (and other MP3 players) BUT you will NOT be able to see song info, playlists, etc. on the Saab display "Infotainment Unit" nor control the iPod from the steering wheel controls. The only thing you can control is the volume, bass, and treble since it utilizes an AUX port on the stereo. That's it! What a bummer! I was ready to jump on this but it is just a glorfied iTrip in my opinion. Unless we hear different...it sounds like it's not close to the BMW/iPod integration. Someone please prove otherwise with pictures if they get one!

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by jer1122:
I called my local Saab dealership in excitement the minute I read this. Unfortunately, I talked to local and Saab Corporate techs which confirmed that they DO have a kit in the center console that will power the iPod (and other MP3 players) BUT you will NOT be able to see song info, playlists, etc. on the Saab display "Infotainment Unit" nor control the iPod from the steering wheel controls. The only thing you can control is the volume, bass, and treble since it utilizes an AUX port on the stereo. That's it! What a bummer! I was ready to jump on this but it is just a glorfied iTrip in my opinion. Unless we hear different...it sounds like it's not close to the BMW/iPod integration. Someone please prove otherwise with pictures if they get one!
I don't think you get song info on the BMW one either. Its basically a glorified cd-changer as far as the display goes. You basically create 5 playlists of 100 songs each, and the display just show which playlist and which number song its currently playing. I could be wrong though.

The ice-link is a great alternative.. .but ultra expensive.

jer1122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 05:25 PM

wow! i didn't know that....i thought the whole point was display integration too...if that's the case, why was everybody making such a big deal about the BMW thing? You are right...glorified CD player is a better anology than the iTrip....that's dumb. I am not impressed at all now....totally disinfranchized and wouldn't really call either of these "iPod integration".

If you can see and control your music library and playlists on your iPod from the steering wheel controls OR the radio then yes....that's the whole point of the iPod! convenience and easy of use with the greatest GUI...if you can't access that - LAME!

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by jer1122:
wow! i didn't know that....i thought the whole point was display integration too...if that's the case, why was everybody making such a big deal about the BMW thing? You are right...glorified CD player is a better anology than the iTrip....that's dumb. I am not impressed at all now....totally disinfranchized and wouldn't really call either of these "iPod integration".

If you can see and control your music library and playlists on your iPod from the steering wheel controls OR the radio then yes....that's the whole point of the iPod! convenience and easy of use with the greatest GUI...if you can't access that - LAME!
Oh, you do have control of the music through the steering wheel.. its just on the display it'll read "Disc 1 Track 90" or somthing like that rather than "Song" - "artist". I think the hoopla was because its the first "partnership" with iPod and a car maker.

But yea, it simply connects to the CD changer port. But its also cheaper... about $250 installed whereas the icelink is like $250 just for the device - and they're talking about 3-4 hrs labor for installation.

d0ubled0wn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 06:31 PM

The only iPod integration product I know of that can display artist-song-album information is the Alpine KCA-420i. Of course that means installing an Alpine head unit.

The PIE VWR/PC-POD I mentioned above comes pretty close to complete integration, just no display of song info on the stereo display. Some of its features...
� selecting Mix on the stereo will put the iPod in random play mode
� selecting Scan will do 10 sec song scans
� 6 different playlists to switch between
� unlimited songs per playlist.

Price is $136... not bad at all.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 06:41 PM

Wrong forum, buddy !

I'm sure there are plenty of threads for this in the Peripherals forum.

http://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=57

-t

d0ubled0wn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 06:45 PM

Yeah I realized that after posting. The mod can move to the periph forum if he/she desires.

Incidentally, not many posts on this subject over there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules