Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ^Borderline Blog^ I had an interview at the Apple Store yesterday.

^Borderline Blog^ I had an interview at the Apple Store yesterday.
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 10:42 AM

I thought I'd post my experience here to lure some advice.

When I moved to Austin, I knew immediately that I'd need a job during the rest of the summer and possibly during school. So I looked into working at the Barton Creek Apple Store. Turns out they were looking for a handful of people to work a seasonal position, maximum of 90 days, and if it was possible, they'd hire you part-time for the fall. Well, I applied online. Waited a couple days, no response from Apple. So I decided to "take the initiative" and go and talk to the manager. She asked me a couple questions and then scheduled me an interview on Thursday at 2.

I walk into the store Thursday around 1:58 (after an army recruiter stopped me), and I receive the paperwork to start filling out. Then a couple seconds later another guy walks in and receives the same paperwork and chimes, "you here for the interview?" I said, "Yeah", and then I started wondering - surely they won't interview us both at the same time.

They interviewed us both at the same time. Thus I had some competition to work against. The other guy was, I'd say, around 21, but he looked 17. His previous job experience included Best Buy and Kinko's, and he'd been running his own eBay business for the past two years. Great, I thought.

Then I explained how I've taught tennis lessons and fixed PCs for a number of years, while recently becoming an Apple fan. I also stated my retail experience at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I worried a little when the interviewer looked impressed with his experiences. But then I started thinking - this guy is a huge nerd. He showed no sense of humor, or even emotion during the whole thing, and so I took a stab at that opportunity. I mean, is there such thing as an emotionless salesman?

So... the final test was to attempt to sell someone an object the interviewer chose at random - a sling and a red pillow. While my opponent monotonously listed all the features of his sling, I tried to appeal a little to the emotions, since our interviewer was a young lady. With my red pillow in hand, I told her to feel how soft and comfortable it was. I then stated, "You know, red is the color of romance," and I continued by offering a free green pillow with the purchase of this one. It would go great for the holidays, I thought.

Anyway, on to the final question(s)... what do you think our interviewer was trying to accomplish by interviewing two people at the same time? And, ultimately, do you think they'd hire a better salesman, or someone with more retail experience?

I have nothing to do all day, so answer away.

I rhyme all the time.

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 08:43 PM

+1.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 08:59 PM

You lose here: "and I continued by offering a free green pillow with the purchase of this one." Never offer anything for free.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 09:23 PM

I'd hire someone with personality before someone with pure brains. At least people with personality are fun to work with. I think you'll get the job.

One thing bothered me though, you seem like you have iniative. Why are you working for someone else, instead of working for yourself, or having others work for you?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
I'd hire someone with personality before someone with pure brains. At least people with personality are fun to work with.
But to go somewhere to buy something, I usually get someone with no brains. I don't want someone appealing to my senses, but someone with actual knoweledge on the products they have.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 09:42 PM

The other guy may get the job because he has Best Buy retail experience and Kinkos is also no slouch job. Working at Kinkos requires a lot of knowledge of printing, printers, working the in-store computers (including Macs), copiers, etc.

But, on the other hand, I'd rather have someone with personality every single time. There is a reason he's not working at Kinkos and Best Buy, you know?

You, on the other hand, have a great personality and haven't quit your job (or been fired) elsewhere.

But, one piece of advice? Next time tell them that you're a MacNN member.

That'll get you in the door.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 09:44 PM

Also, just to let you know? There is a company in Austin, a temp company, that hires for Apple in Austin (customer service is based there.) You might want to research that a little and go apply with the temp company to work for Apple. I'll email a friend and see what she says (if she knows which company they use.)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 09:49 PM

It all depends... I'm guessing the person will hire who they need. If they need someone with a pulse and personality, they will hire you. If they need a nerd, they will hire you. It all depends.

bewebste
Senior User
Jun 25, 2005, 10:07 PM

They'll hire the hot blond with the form fitting "Mac Chick" t-shirt that they interviewed right after you two left.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 10:14 PM

The interviewer was a woman, remember? So not too sure about that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bewebste
They'll hire the hot blond with the form fitting "Mac Chick" t-shirt that they interviewed right after you two left.
Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
The interviewer was a woman, remember? So not too sure about that.
Duh, it was a joke

-t

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 10:23 PM

The other guy may get the job because he has Best Buy retail experience and Kinkos is also no slouch job. Working at Kinkos requires a lot of knowledge of printing, printers, working the in-store computers (including Macs), copiers, etc.
The guy just lifted boxes at Kinko's. Nothing special.

Oh, and I did tell them I was an active member at MacNN. I think my interviewer had no clue/didn't care what MacNN was. She didn't seem too impressed that I knew Apple's full product line relatively well either, but who knows - I may have read her wrong. I'll know sometime next week.

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 10:25 PM

Also, just to let you know? There is a company in Austin, a temp company, that hires for Apple in Austin (customer service is based there.) You might want to research that a little and go apply with the temp company to work for Apple. I'll email a friend and see what she says (if she knows which company they use.)
Thanks a bunch. Any connections I can make now will help me immensely a few years down the road.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Oh, and I did tell them I was an active member at MacNN.
Hmm, I'm not sure if this is considered positive or negative.
What if they test you and find you are addicted ?

-t

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2005, 10:52 PM

Oh, and I did tell them I was an active member at MacNN.
This may be a bad thing depending on if Apple considers MacNN to be a rumor board or not.

jyunderwood
Jun 25, 2005, 11:28 PM

in your sales pitch for the pillow you should've used "and just one more thing..."

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 11:46 PM

I'd sooner handle the personality person... that said you're obviously bias towards yourself

I dono you both sound like you'd be good there... that said I'd slaughter you both! I've got great chemistry with random people I meet and I probably know more than both your nerd friend and you bwhaha! You're just lucky you're not applying against me!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 12:09 AM

A friend of mine got a part time job at an Apple Store up in the Twin Cities. She got a free iPod to play with while she worked there, and a nice discount. Too bad she was only seasonal, because she enjoyed her iPod. (Though she should have bought one with her discount...)

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 12:21 AM

Maybe they'll hire us both. I'm just looking to get some Apple job experience and some capital for starting a business .

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 05:31 AM

Job winning Red pillow sales pitch-

"Well, as you may know, by this time next year, we're going to be selling completely new red pillows, then we will slowly phase these pillows out of production. You see, the technology in our next generation pillows has a better roadmap for the future, and we want to bring you the best pillows possible.

But trust me, these pillows we're selling today are still a great product and we will continue to make them for the next 11 months. It's not like you can live without pillows, right?

Besides, our customers know it's not the stuffing that makes our pillows great, it's the great satin we use for pillowcases that makes them great, and that wont change this time next year."

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 05:55 AM

you didn't get the job.

not all who wander are lost.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 06:09 AM

CodyBlogâ„¢

err, JamillBlog©

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 07:34 AM

Apply at Best Buy.

That guy doesn't work there anymore, remember?

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 07:40 AM

This post was edited.
( Last edited by jamil5454; Jun 26, 2005 at 07:48 AM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 07:43 AM

Why are you awesome?

Just saying that you're awesome makes you not-so-awesome.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 08:03 AM

Busted.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 11:55 AM

you cant train someone to have a personality, or be personable, or easy to approach (by a customer), etc.

rattling off the apple product line, and knowing the iApps, etc is a good thing to have, but apple stores also have a training program.

in terms of what a manager wants, they want a hardworking person who shows up for work when theyre supposed to. in terms of retail, they also want that person to be able to interface well with the customer. to the customer, you ARE apple. the importance of this cannot be overlooked.

assuming the manager is not insane, and you came off better in terms of what i outlined, then i would say you probably will be considered for the job.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 12:42 PM

Maybe they'll hire us both. I'm just looking to get some Apple job experience and some capital for starting a business .
You can make more money working in a grocery store. Apple pays next to nothing for their retail jobs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
What if they test you and find you are addicted ?
Jamil isn't addicted; he's elite.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 01:13 PM

No, he's awesome.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 01:14 PM

No, he's awesome.
Your saying he's awesome makes him not-so-awesome.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 02:30 PM

I said that because the first thing he posted this morning was this:

I am awesome.
I responded with the same thing that you just said ^ up there.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
You can make more money working in a grocery store. Apple pays next to nothing for their retail jobs.
You have obviously never worked grocery.

Sometimes... at night... I wake up to a beeping sound... and then I hear it... "price check on isle four. Price check." The insanity never ends....

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
Actually Apple's retail employees aren't allowed to say what they're paid, because it can vary from one employee to another. I don't think that means employees are paid very much still. Maybe more like "We'll pay you next to nothing, or maybe a little further from nothing".
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
You have obviously never worked grocery.

Sometimes... at night... I wake up to a beeping sound... and then I hear it... "price check on isle four. Price check." The insanity never ends....
HEH, I have worked grocery for the past four years, and let me tell ya, being a cashier... whoa, you learn a whole new language... Thankfully I am a manager now, and dont have to cashier as much, but I do have to deal with the wackos!

artichokes - 4084
Asparagus - 4080
bananas - 4011
Rainbow Chard - 4588
the list goes on...

and do you cashier a favor, dont talk on your phone in line, and actually hand them the money and not throw it on the counter...I hate people that do that..

Zach

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2005, 09:53 AM

This post was edited.
What was THAT ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules