Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac hotter under 9

iMac hotter under 9
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 08:35 PM

I'm almost positive; I think my iMac runs much hotter under OS 9. I remember reading that the PowerBook G4 runs hotter under OS 9 because it can't idle the processor.

The variable-speed fan in the iMac is blasting in 9 compared to the nearly-silent spinning of the fan blades under X.

Does anybody else notice this? Does anybody know if it's the same problem the G4 PowerBooks have with 9?

pegges
Feb 28, 2002, 01:42 AM

It's obviously designed for OS X and not for 9. Not very surprising, but your observations are interesting nonetheless.

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Feb 28, 2002, 02:24 AM

Funny, my G4 cube is hotter in OSX. I assume it is because OSX uses AltaVec for the GUI when OS9 rarely uses it.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 02:25 AM

i have found a slight difference in temperature too, on my imac 500mhz early 2001
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2002, 02:28 AM

Interesting. My iBook 500 runs much hotter in OS X than 9, but only because the hard drive never spins down. If it would, I think the battery would last much better in X than 9 - but until Apple can figure out a way to get the UNIX system to stop paging, I don't know if X will be a great travel OS...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2002, 03:10 AM

seanyepez wrote:
I remember reading that the PowerBook G4 runs hotter under OS 9 because it can't idle the processor.
That's very strange. OS 9 definitely does allow for processor cycling, whereas OS X doesn't, AFAIK. OS X constantly accesses the drive for VM. It also depletes my battery in sleep (iBook 466) much faster than OS 9 sleep.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 03:43 AM

Yes. It will deplete your battery faster. That's because it's more intense processing when it's actually being used (OS X). It has to calculate the GUI among other things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules